Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 09:01 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times

Advertisements

Jorge:

New Mexico Tech: New Mexico Tech: New Mexico Tech
One of the strongest, if not the strongest, petroleum engineering departments in the U.S. Many students from the Middle East go there to do their undergraduate and/or graduate degrees. Then they return to their countries afterwards to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Jorge:

New Mexico Tech: New Mexico Tech: New Mexico Tech
One of the strongest, if not the strongest, petroleum engineering departments in the U.S. Many students from the Middle East go there to do their undergraduate and/or graduate degrees. Then they return to their countries afterwards to work.
looks like a very good choice!

In Socorro, you will have plenty of time to focus on your Schooling!

Costs... Best to come a yr early and engage in related employment to gain residency BEFORE starting course work.

............... ...Resident.......Non-Resident
Tuition & Fees $4,029........$11,790

not cheap...(Per semester)... places like U-WYO this is the cost of the WHOLE program!, but no 'refinery / processing' PHD's in petroleum / Chemistry.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:51 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Costs... Best to come a yr early and engage in related employment to gain residency BEFORE starting course work.

............... ...Resident.......Non-Resident
Tuition & Fees $4,029........$11,790
as a foreign student, he would pay non-resident prices regardless

Old 05-27-2018, 06:44 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,794 times
I'm with another poster. What do you want to do? If you want to work in the industry, my advice is to forget the PhD. Also, petroleum engineering degrees in the US really do not focus on refinery work. That is largely the province of chemical engineering because molecules will react reguardless of where the ethane came from. Advanced distillation and hydrocracking technologies are often developed in house by process engineering firms and I've never seen them hire someone because they had a PhD from X.

If you are interested in fracking shales or finding the next blowout preventer, please go ahead. If you want to teach petroleum engineering, please go ahead. If you want to develop distillation columns and reactor designs for refineries, a chemical engineering department that focuses on refining Tulsa, OU, U of TX or TX A&M would be your best bet.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:32 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
petroleum engineering degrees in the US really do not focus on refinery work. That is largely the province of chemical engineering
That's why New Mexico Tech has an equally strong chemical engineering program side-by-side with its petroleum engineering program: Chemical Engineering at New Mexico Tech

New Mexico Tech aka New Mexico School of Mines aka New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. (It's had a few name changes over the many years of its existence).

Old 06-05-2018, 05:17 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
I am thinking Norway.
Google search " Norway university petroleum studies " third search is a PDF but my copy paste does not work.
see also site www.norskpetroleum.no/en/
www.studyinnorway.no see search boxes.
www.uib.no/en/rg/ptech is the university Bergen Norway

Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
It's something that I am thinking about. While finishing my Master's Degree I met a guy from Ecuador who is applying for a PhD in Chemical Engineering in Madrid, Spain for the next year. It's a possibility, but rather than in Spain where most programmes are about chemical reactions, catalysts and other chemical engineering experimental stuff, I want to search for Process Engineering/Petroleum/Oil & Gas/Power generation related PhDs, it could be any place, I can adapt, but It would be a must to be financially supported, this ecuatorian guy will have financial support in Spain and I am interested in it. Where to start?
Where are you doing your Master’s degree? In general, you shouldn’t be paying for a PhD in the science/engineering fields. I don’t know anyone who wasn’t paid one way or another to get their PhD. That’s true in the US and in Europe.

What exactly are you looking to do? It seems a little bit like you’re approaching the PhD as some sort of super Master’s degree. It isn’t. The jobs you get with a PhD are fundamentally different than those you get with a Bacherlor’s or Master’s degree. There is certainly some overlap and having a PhD won’t usually prevent you from getting those other jobs, but it won’t be a big asset.

Along those same lines, it seems like you’re interested in the oil and gas industry, but don’t seem to be too specific. It’s a huge field. Upstream or downstream? If upstream, a good place to start would be looking at the SPE (society of petroleum engineers). There are a fair number of good programs in the US, some in Canada (mostly Alberta), the U.K., and Norway, What you end up doing should probably be set by what interests you and what you’re good at.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Texas Tech is great for petroleum-related degrees.Its cheaper than UT and TAMU i believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities