Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:15 PM

4,968 posts, read 2,712,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Regionally accredited schools, which are higher ranked and more prestigious, do not accept credit from nationally accredited schools, case closed. A person needs a degree that is universally accepted, not a for-profit diploma mill.

The Department of Education can't save you from HR throwing your resume in the trash and regionally accredited colleges denying your entrance into their Masters programs, because you decided to attend Trump University.

The job market is fierce and people can't afford to waste their money on a substandard education that won't be universally recognized by schools or employers.
Ok, so now National accreditation is not only at a lower level to Regional accreditation, but is completely invalid - schools that have it are diploma mills? Which is it? I am confused. Why does the Department of Education and CHEA even mess with National accreditation then? Why don't these agencies declare that accreditors who are part of National accreditation are no good and be excluded from the Department of Education's and CHEA's lists of valid accreditors? Is the Department of Education and CHEA corrupt and are falsely recognizing National accreditors when they really have no right to do that? If the Department of Education and CHEA are not the agencies that evaluate accreditors then who does? Where does it say and from which agency that National accreditors are scams and are invalid? I am trying to find where it states that from a legal viewpoint.

There are plenty of employers that accept degrees from schools that are Nationally accredited. Many pay for the tuition for their employees from Nationally accredited schools. Are they being scammed? These employers trust the judgement of the Department of Education and CHEA. But since the Department of Education and CHEA are misrepresenting National accreditors, then are they in violation of anything? Should Congress be notified so that these agencies be brought to heel and drop National accreditors from their rolls and be punished?

There are quite a few schools that are Regionally accredited that do accept the transfer of credit from Nationally accredited schools. Why do they do that? Are they also being scammed by the Department of Education and CHEA?

I just want to know the precise status of schools that are Nationally accredited and the National accreditors themselves such as DEAC. If the Department of Education and CHEA do not have the right to approve of these accreditors, then who does? I would like to read a formal document that is put out by a governmental agency that states that Regional accreditation is superior to National accreditation, and that National accreditation is a scam, is invalid, and the schools who have it are diploma mills. So far, all the posters have not provided that and discuss other things. Can someone provide that valid information? Please. Is that too much to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:33 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Regionally accredited schools, which are higher ranked and more prestigious, do not accept credit from nationally accredited schools, case closed. A person needs a degree that is universally accepted, not a for-profit diploma mill.
Yes and no.

Schools within universities can also be nationally accredited. For example, Harvard is regionally accredited - New England Association of Schools and Colleges. But their Graduate School of Design is nationally accredited by NAAB (National Architecture Accrediting Board) and their Engineering school is nationally accredited by ABET.

Purdue is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (formerly NCA). It's architecture school is nationally accredited by NAAB. It's Interior Design program is nationally accredited by CIDA. It's business school is nationally accredited by AACSB. It's Engineering school is nationally accredited by ABET.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:44 AM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Yes and no.

Schools within universities can also be nationally accredited. For example, Harvard is regionally accredited - New England Association of Schools and Colleges. But their Graduate School of Design is nationally accredited by NAAB (National Architecture Accrediting Board) and their Engineering school is nationally accredited by ABET.

Purdue is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (formerly NCA). It's architecture school is nationally accredited by NAAB. It's Interior Design program is nationally accredited by CIDA. It's business school is nationally accredited by AACSB. It's Engineering school is nationally accredited by ABET.
There is a huge difference between national accreditation for the school overall, and national accreditation for a specific college or program. They aren’t really the same thing.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM

24 posts, read 20,533 times
Get the hell off of my thread arguing answer my question or dont post at all.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAllen2110 View Post
Get the hell off of my thread arguing answer my question or dont post at all.
Thank you for your impolite request. Nevertheless, in spite of your rudeness, I will no longer post anything that does not concern your question. Have a good day.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:41 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Ok, so now National accreditation is not only at a lower level to Regional accreditation, but is completely invalid - schools that have it are diploma mills? Which is it? I am confused. Why does the Department of Education and CHEA even mess with National accreditation then? Why don't these agencies declare that accreditors who are part of National accreditation are no good and be excluded from the Department of Education's and CHEA's lists of valid accreditors? Is the Department of Education and CHEA corrupt and are falsely recognizing National accreditors when they really have no right to do that? If the Department of Education and CHEA are not the agencies that evaluate accreditors then who does? Where does it say and from which agency that National accreditors are scams and are invalid? I am trying to find where it states that from a legal viewpoint.

There are plenty of employers that accept degrees from schools that are Nationally accredited. Many pay for the tuition for their employees from Nationally accredited schools. Are they being scammed? These employers trust the judgement of the Department of Education and CHEA. But since the Department of Education and CHEA are misrepresenting National accreditors, then are they in violation of anything? Should Congress be notified so that these agencies be brought to heel and drop National accreditors from their rolls and be punished?

There are quite a few schools that are Regionally accredited that do accept the transfer of credit from Nationally accredited schools. Why do they do that? Are they also being scammed by the Department of Education and CHEA?

I just want to know the precise status of schools that are Nationally accredited and the National accreditors themselves such as DEAC. If the Department of Education and CHEA do not have the right to approve of these accreditors, then who does? I would like to read a formal document that is put out by a governmental agency that states that Regional accreditation is superior to National accreditation, and that National accreditation is a scam, is invalid, and the schools who have it are diploma mills. So far, all the posters have not provided that and discuss other things. Can someone provide that valid information? Please. Is that too much to ask?
Regional vs. National Accreditation - There's a Huge Difference
https://www.military.com/education/f...editation.html

National accreditation typically applies to various types of VoTech, online schools like Western Governors University. There are also national organizations for particularly focused vocational programs, e.g. medical assisting. It is also what schools who can't get regional accreditation go to. Bible colleges will often get nationally accredited.

Regional accreditation maintains the standards we popularly associate with "normal" colleges and universities.

I'll put it this way - not all nationally accredited schools are diploma mills, but most diploma mills are nationally accredited. If a regionally accredited school tries to be a diploma mill, they will get dinged and will eventually lose their accreditation, although that will often take 8-10 years.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

National accreditation typically applies to various types of VoTech, online schools like Western Governors University. There are also national organizations for particularly focused vocational programs, e.g. medical assisting. It is also what schools who can't get regional accreditation go to. Bible colleges will often get nationally accredited.

Regional accreditation maintains the standards we popularly associate with "normal" colleges and universities.

I'll put it this way - not all nationally accredited schools are diploma mills, but most diploma mills are nationally accredited. If a regionally accredited school tries to be a diploma mill, they will get dinged and will eventually lose their accreditation, although that will often take 8-10 years.
Redguard57:

JoeAllen2110 requested that arguments that do not concern the question that he posed when he started this thread not be posted here. Did you not see his request? I am honoring his request. Are you? If you want to continue the accreditation discussion, please start a new thread and I will then answer to your claims there.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:45 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I taught at a nationally accredited school and have studied this topic for years.

Many new schools go for national accreditation first because it's faster, easier, and cheaper to obtain. Many of those schools will go on to apply for regional accreditation. The school that I taught at was accredited by ACCSC, and the requirements were dumb and had little to do with educational quality. ACICS lost its recognition from the U.S. Department of Education, but I think it's getting it back. They didn't have good oversight of their schools. DEAC, formerly known as DETC, has a better reputation.

There are people who claim to be experts and will tell you that NA is for for-profits and RA is for non-profits. A disproportionate number of for-profit trade schools are NA, but the blanket statement above is not true. University of the People, Nations University, and many nonprofits are NA. University of Phoenix, Kaplan, Devry, Strayer, Capella, American Military University, Walden, and possibly close to a hundred of other for-profits are RA.

While the federal government and CHEA do not put levels on institutional accreditation, there is a reality that cannot be ignored. No one has a blanket policy on not accepting credits or degrees from regionally accredited schools, but this is often the case with nationally accredited schools. There are credits that won't transfer from an RA school because the curriculum wasn't the same, or they don't fit into the new school's degree requirements. With NA schools, the credits are often rejected solely on the basis of accreditation. There are several RA schools that accept NA credits, so not all hope is lost if you have an NA degree.

I'm most familiar with the criminal justice field in Texas. The Texas Commission on Law Enforcement will require less experience towards higher levels of certification if you have a degree. TCOLE does not recognize NA schools. The Texas Department of Public Safety requires state trooper applicants with no military experience to have 60 college credits or an associate's degree specifically from an RA school. The San Antonio Police Department and the Bexar County Sheriff's Office will not give educational incentive pay for degrees earned at NA schools.

If you're not in a licensed field, then you likely won't have to worry about types of accreditation. However, it is true that many regulating agencies and institutions of higher education have the perception that NA schools are of lower quality since many people gravitate toward NA schools when they can't cut it in an RA school. I had students at an NA school who couldn't make it through community college. Most of the trade schools you see advertising to single mothers during Jerry Springer are NA; that doesn't help their reputation. It is also known in higher education that national accreditation is easier to obtain.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

Western Governors University is regionally accredited. As a matter of fact, it is the only school in history to have obtained accreditation from all the regional accreditors. They are now accredited by one regional accreditor because that's all that's needed. Maintaining multiple accreditations is expensive.

This information is easy to look up, so I wish that people would stop spreading misinformation.

According to the U.S. Department of Education, an accredited school cannot be a diploma mill. Diploma mills require little to no work. If an accreditor allowed this, it would lose its recognition and financial aid eligibility from the federal government.

There are people who have come up with the term "degree mill." This applies to accredited schools that pump out a lot of low-quality graduates. Many RA schools are degree mills.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:

The Department of Education can't save you from HR throwing your resume in the trash and regionally accredited colleges denying your entrance into their Masters programs, because you decided to attend Trump University.

The job market is fierce and people can't afford to waste their money on a substandard education that won't be universally recognized by schools or employers.
I don't know if this was meant to be a joke, but Trump University was an accredited business that did not award degrees.

Most people in HR don't know the difference between NA and RA. Some schools have more recognizable names and some are known for being prestigious, but most won't know who accredits these schools. One of my professors in my PhD program, which is ranked #29, didn't even know who accredited our school. When I was presenting my survey questions for a study on education and law enforcement employment, none of the doctoral students even knew there were different types of accreditation. These students included lawyers, police officers, probation officers, corrections officers, adjunct college instructors, and K-12 teachers.

There are over 4,000 colleges in the U.S. and most are not ranked. A lot of people from unranked, podunk, state schools with regional accreditation get jobs. Since most private employers don't know the difference between NA and RA, an unknown RA school will get the same treatment as an unknown NA school. The reality is that most employers don't care about school rankings. The vast majority of the educated workforce graduated from low-ranked and unranked schools. If employers only hired people from the top 100 schools, they wouldn't have nearly enough people to fill their positions.

It is true that NA degrees limit your options for graduate school and may not qualify for certain licenses, but let's not act like most RA schools are prestigious because they're not.

There are thousands of people who are employed because of their degrees from actual diploma mills that hold no valid accreditation whatsoever. Many employers don't bother to spend five minutes to verify if a school is legit. One study found 463 federal employees with degrees from diploma mills.

Last edited by L210; 06-09-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities