Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:57 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not really. Math is abstract modeling of the real world. Arithmetic is a rote process to manipulate numbers according to fixed rules. 4 + 9 equals 9. Always. It's something you memorize. It requires no critical thought.

Accounting 101 was the only 'C' I ever got in college. I didn't realize it's just rote bookkeeping. There's no analysis to it. I'm lousy at repetitive task. I earned a very good living in high tech doing analysis and that requires math.
Well, they call arithmetic "math" in school. 12 years of calling it "math". Are the schools wrong?

What's this about memorizing 4+ 9? You mean, similar to memorizing the times tables? That's a new one on me. I don't think you were supposed to memorize all that addition, Geoff. I don't know how it would be possible to memorize all that. But maybe that's just me? I thought addition was a skill that one learned how to do, formulas one memorized. I never memorized any addition.

o.0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 AM

24 posts, read 20,533 times
@OP go ask another71.com where there are real CPA's and let them tell you dont listen to these people

Old 06-13-2018, 03:02 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaDuhHippie View Post
Because, I want a stable career. From what I've heard, Accounting is not as math intensive as people think it is. The type of stuff I am good at would be difficult to try and do it as a career.
When I was an undergraduate, the business majors were largely comprised of people who switched from engineering because to them it was an easier major. This meant these were people who were exceptionally good at math and were familiar with the accelerated rigor of an engineering major. But they got tired of it and switched to business. You will be in class with people like that - they most likely had near perfect ACT/SAT scores on the math section and are just coasting through the business courses since to them it is much easier than engineering. But for you, the courses would likely be much harder than the community college you experiened.

It can be done, but you most likely have to put in more hours per credit. But I recommend it because the job market is good for business majors. It does pay off well for many of them.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:09 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
When I was an undergraduate, the business majors were largely comprised of people who switched from engineering because to them it was an easier major. This meant these were people who were exceptionally good at math and were familiar with the accelerated rigor of an engineering major. But they got tired of it and switched to business. You will be in class with people like that - they most likely had near perfect ACT/SAT scores on the math section and are just coasting through the business courses since to them it is much easier than engineering. But for you, the courses would likely be much harder than the community college you experiened.

It can be done, but you most likely have to put in more hours per credit. But I recommend it because the job market is good for business majors. It does pay off well for many of them.
You're making a lot of assumptions based on your experience at one school. I went to a larger state school that did not have engineering. I doubt there were more than a handful of students in my business classes who had perfect math scores on their ACT/SAT. The OP would run into students like that if he transferred to Carnegie Mellon, UPenn, or Cornell, but I highly doubt that is the situation.

Even transferring to a school like Ohio State, Penn State, Pitt, Michigan State, etc., is still going to be less than 5% of the students in his classes. I doubt you will find many undergrad business programs where you have to take more than four math courses. Those would likely include calculus and statistics. I checked Carnegie Mellon, which would be one of the most difficult business undergraduate majors and require three math courses unless you go for a Bachelor of Science in Computational Finance. The math courses are: Differential & Integral Calculus, Probability & Statistics for Business Apps, and Regression Analysis.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:25 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Accounting has no math. You don't even need to know the time value of money formula. There's zero calculus and precious little algebra.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Well, whatever the OP's going to do, he's already done it. But my take on this is that Accounting is mostly arithmetic.

"Bad at math" largely depends on your definition. For a mechanical engineer who graduated from a competitive program, I am bad at math. Differential equations kicked my behind. Multivariable calculus did so too. I had to push myself through mathematics courses from 8th grade algebra all the way through to completion of my degree, and it was never easy for me with a few rare exceptions.

There are other people who can't understand how to calculate a percentage. In the context of elementary school teachers or bus drivers, they would be "bad at math".

Old 06-14-2019, 02:29 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, whatever the OP's going to do, he's already done it. But my take on this is that Accounting is mostly arithmetic.

"Bad at math" largely depends on your definition. For a mechanical engineer who graduated from a competitive program, I am bad at math. Differential equations kicked my behind. Multivariable calculus did so too. I had to push myself through mathematics courses from 8th grade algebra all the way through to completion of my degree, and it was never easy for me with a few rare exceptions.

There are other people who can't understand how to calculate a percentage. In the context of elementary school teachers or bus drivers, they would be "bad at math".
Yes I agree that accounting is filled with arithmetic but in accounting courses, I noticed more of an emphasis on law and I guess strategy, like those t-accounts, in pushing numbers around rather than the number crunching found in calculus and physics courses.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:56 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaDuhHippie View Post
I had to take alot (2 semesters worth) of developmental math (DMA) classes at my community college but I passed them with flying colors, I also managed to get a B in a math class that is required to be accepted into the business school at the university I want to transfer to, should I still go for Finance or Accounting? Which one is the most secure in the job market?

Would you actually want to do that for a living? If you really like the idea, fantastic. But if you're just doing it for the paycheck, then find something else to do. Because life is way too short.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 AM

50,781 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, they call arithmetic "math" in school. 12 years of calling it "math". Are the schools wrong?

What's this about memorizing 4+ 9? You mean, similar to memorizing the times tables? That's a new one on me. I don't think you were supposed to memorize all that addition, Geoff. I don't know how it would be possible to memorize all that. But maybe that's just me? I thought addition was a skill that one learned how to do, formulas one memorized. I never memorized any addition.

o.0
We did this in elementary school maybe fourth or fifth grade I don’t remember. But when you felt like you had your multiplication tables memorized you would tell the teacher and she would have you stand up in class and recite them and then you would get a prize. For instance, if you felt confident that you had your fives memorized, you’d recite “5x1=5, 5x2=10” etc.

I can’t understand why someone who doesn’t enjoy math let alone be good at it, would even consider majoring in a math or at least number-centered field. People who will be good at it something like accounting or people like my nephew, who is fastidious and even a little OCD. He loves sitting down and going over numbers for hours and doing taxes and things like that. I don’t think most people who aren’t good at math would even enjoy such a thing. I myself hate it. I paid it to get my taxes done because I think it’s such a hideous thing to have to do LOL. Thank accounting is much more than simply memorizing or knowing arithmetic to. If there’s a discrepancy at the end of the year during an audit between money that came in and want money that went out you have to know how to find that in a years worth of records. It takes someone who is very fastidious, number and detail oriented not just someone good at arithmetic.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:39 PM

98 posts, read 95,171 times
Definitely not! You will have a miserable time in college and you will set yourself up to fail if you major in finance or accounting as a weak math student. If I were you, I would avoid any major that requires you to know math. What other subjects are you stronger at? Are you stronger in history? English? You need to try to find something your good at if you want to be successful in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities