Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:03 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
The Southwest Conference hasn't existed for 22 years, but I get your point. Rice is a well-known school and prestigious.
Rice may be a very prestigious school but it is not very well known among most people on the East Coast. It doesn't have the name recognition on the East Coast that schools like the University of Texas or Texas A&M have. Anyone who would research the school would quickly find out its academic reputation and the lack of familiarity beyond the region would not be an issue.

Here is one that caught my attention recently. Amy Barrett, who is one of Trump's finalists, received her undergraduate degree from Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She then received her law degree from Notre Dame. I had never heard of Rhodes College and found it didn't even go by that name until 1984. Obviously, the fact that Rhodes College is a lesser know college has not been a disadvantage to Amy Barrett. She would also be the only one of the current justices who did not attend either Harvard or Yale law schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 04:48 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
That depends
I can't even name all the colleges in my town! There are 7. There are 130+ colleges within 40 miles of me right now

But your point stands. Schools are local. For example - when I lived in California, I worked with people who went to SLO, USC, UC Bekerley, Cal Poly Pomona, and Michigan. Now I work in Boston, and I work with people who went to Wentworth, Harvard, RISD, MIT, Northeastern, and Michigan.

Some of those schools travel better than others - I never met anyone who went to Wentworth until I moved here, and I haven't met anyone who went to SLO since I left California.
You live in Central Massachusetts? Of course there were 130+ colleges within 40 miles! Coincidentally, I myself attended a university in central Massachusetts!

New England has an unusually high concentration of colleges and universities. My son currently graduated from one that while not well known outside of the academic and professional world, sends an unusually large amount of students to prestigious PhD programs around the country.

It's "well known" where it matters.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:04 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Rice may be a very prestigious school but it is not very well known among most people on the East Coast. It doesn't have the name recognition on the East Coast that schools like the University of Texas or Texas A&M have. Anyone who would research the school would quickly find out its academic reputation and the lack of familiarity beyond the region would not be an issue.

Here is one that caught my attention recently. Amy Barrett, who is one of Trump's finalists, received her undergraduate degree from Rhodes College in Memphis, TN. She then received her law degree from Notre Dame. I had never heard of Rhodes College and found it didn't even go by that name until 1984. Obviously, the fact that Rhodes College is a lesser know college has not been a disadvantage to Amy Barrett. She would also be the only one of the current justices who did not attend either Harvard or Yale law schools.
Many people on the coasts are unaware there is an interior to the country, period.

On a tangential note, as a Notre Dame fan, I've long wished for this athletic conference:

ND
Rice
Vanderbilt
Stanford
Northwestern
The service academies (Air Force, Army, Navy)
Boston College
Wake Forest

I'd call it the "Actual Student-Athletes Conference"

Old 07-06-2018, 06:56 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Quote:
How did you come up with this conclusion?

I'm not sure how internet access makes colleges more popular. Granted, it give people the ability to research all schools, do virtual tours, and do comparisons. It doesn't automatically make colleges more popular. I'm familiar with Rice University because they play Division I sports.

Rice University does not sit at the big boy table with Ivies, except obviously in your mind.

My mind and every single ranking list from US News to Princeton Review and from Forbes to Niche. If you give them waiver for location, they'll sit with HYSPM.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:02 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Many people on the coasts are unaware there is an interior to the country, period.
"
Exactly.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
How did you come up with this conclusion?

I'm not sure how internet access makes colleges more popular. Granted, it give people the ability to research all schools, do virtual tours, and do comparisons. It doesn't automatically make colleges more popular. I'm familiar with Rice University because they play Division I sports.

Rice University does not sit at the big boy table with Ivies, except obviously in your mind.
No, No, No! I have nothing vested in Rice, but I know for a fact that Rice is a top 15 ranking university. It's very strong academically and usually ranks just below or the same as John Hopkins. It's very well known on the east coast and many east coast high school students apply. It has a strong international reputation. Google US News & World Report National University rankings. Rice has a much higher rank that U of Texas.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:52 PM

One should be aware that status of colleges can be fleeting over time. Of course, MIT, Stanford, Ivy League schools will always remain prestigious, but others change. For employment purposes, your Alma mater matters up to a certain point in your career. Later on, no one really cares as much as the prestige of your past employers and your responsibilities.

My father spent one year at New York University. At that time, it was a bottom level school. They pretty much accepted everyone who paid and of course, it wasn't that expensive back then. He jumped at the chance to go to City University of New York when he was accepted as a transfer student, not only because it was free, but it was also much more prestigious back then. How times have changed. Anyone who has a degree from NYU, before 1978 or so, it isn't such a big deal. A degree from NYU received within the past 25 years has much more value.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Rice may be a very prestigious school but it is not very well known among most people on the East Coast.
Which of course, matters little to not at all, unless possibly if one aspires to live/be employed on the East Coast.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
My mind and every single ranking list from US News to Princeton Review and from Forbes to Niche. If you give them waiver for location, they'll sit with HYSPM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
No, No, No! I have nothing vested in Rice, but I know for a fact that Rice is a top 15 ranking university. It's very strong academically and usually ranks just below or the same as John Hopkins. It's very well known on the east coast and many east coast high school students apply. It has a strong international reputation. Google US News & World Report National University rankings. Rice has a much higher rank that U of Texas.
When I looked it up I was surprised how high it was ranked. My son applied to many of the top schools but Rice never hit the radar probably because of the location. A quick glance of the ranking actually has Niche giving Rice a #5. US News & World Report has them tied for 14th with Brown and Cornell. Forbes has them #22. The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings has them #14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Which of course, matters little to not at all, unless possibly if one aspires to live/be employed on the East Coast.
Of course we all know where we are going to end up living. Two of my three children are already living in different states.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
One should be aware that status of colleges can be fleeting over time. Of course, MIT, Stanford, Ivy League schools will always remain prestigious, but others change. For employment purposes, your Alma mater matters up to a certain point in your career. Later on, no one really cares as much as the prestige of your past employers and your responsibilities.

My father spent one year at New York University. At that time, it was a bottom level school. They pretty much accepted everyone who paid and of course, it wasn't that expensive back then. He jumped at the chance to go to City University of New York when he was accepted as a transfer student, not only because it was free, but it was also much more prestigious back then. How times have changed. Anyone who has a degree from NYU, before 1978 or so, it isn't such a big deal. A degree from NYU received within the past 25 years has much more value.

Meant to say City College of New York. There was no City University of New York system back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities