Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:36 AM

820 posts, read 972,689 times

Advertisements

I am entering my junior year of college in about 2 weeks, and have been out of school since mid-May, like most other students. I couldn't wait for summer to come and was so sick of school by the time May started, but it turned out to be a truly boring, mostly uneventful break. I went to visit my family in Florida for a week and a half back in June and am going back there from tomorrow until next Saturday for a second visit before school starts, and that was of course a great trip. I also went away with my friend and his parents for 3 days to the shore around July 4th, but besides these vacations and the occasional family gathering it sucked. I had a part-time job at a grocery store, which I've been doing every summer and Thanksgiving/Christmas break, and I enjoyed my job, but the days I didn't work were often painfully boring. I didn't get a ton of hours, so these days off were frequent. My high school friend group are all complete homebodies and never wanted to do anything or go anywhere, and those that aren't shut up in their rooms all the time had full time internships and were so exhausted at night after work and on the weekends that they just wanted to stay home. We hung out as a group a grand total of 4 times all summer, and these times took a lot of planning and effort to make happen. My mother works all day and doesn't get home until 7pm, so I am often in my room watching TV from the time I get up in the morning (8-9am) until that time. I used to visit my grandparents a lot in the days, but they moved to Texas in the spring, so that was out the window as well. I also don't have any cousins living nearby who I am close to. I am only close to the ones in Florida. I also haven't had a girlfriend in 2 years or even gone on any dates since my ex and I broke up, and dating sites at my age are awful. I'm not depressed or anything,and I do have friends obviously, but it certainly didn't feel that way for most of this break. I know I really should get an internship next summer to help fill my weekdays, but this summer is over anyway. Did anyone else feel the same way I did about this particular break? And what did you do with all your free time? Last summer my group from high school (we all have a group chat and talk most of the day, just dont hang out) hung out at least once a week, and this year it was 4 times. How things have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 11:54 AM

59 posts, read 48,777 times
I can't get ANY minimum wage job, failed my HS exams so I have a crap diploma, and don't qualify for welfare in my country so I just sat at home doing nothing.

It really pushed me to the brink of a suicide attempt. I literally have no friends and parents don't talk to each other that much.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:33 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I had an internship and worked at an ice cream shop between sophomore and junior years. Went to see a bunch of bands at 18+ shows too. There wasn't much free time, and there was even less between junior and senior years as my internship was much more intense (and I still had to work for book $).

Old 08-14-2018, 01:37 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I think what you are experiencing is growing up. You've grown away from high school friends and activities. You'd rather be back in college doing college things with college friends. That's normal.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
My kids did Wildland Firefighting and Alaska fishing during their college summers. (as did my engineering staff co-workers)

Great yr for fires... ~ $30,000 - $40,000 for 6 wks in the trenches.

Usually Not Boring, but could be depressing (and dangerous) .

I did trucking ~ summer and during school.
Great opportunities in the oil fields this yr, especially if you can pass a drug test! ~$10k / month including OT

These jobs save you a lot of money... No time to spend it.

They also keep you in school (if you don't want to work a risky career)

Downside... no time to study.
Being a night shift guard gives you time to study, but is low pay.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
You will find life can be boring. Ask any senior citizen.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:40 PM

36 posts, read 27,691 times
Next year, get one of those summer jobs at a National Park with one of those various vendors. You may be able to get an internship with the National Park Service depending upon your major. I spent one summer with the Forest Service in Colorado. Did not save much money, but I met a hell of a lot of folks and we all had a blast (and we were not drinking or doping).

Old 08-14-2018, 04:51 PM

4,970 posts, read 2,712,589 times
When I was your age and studying at my university I did not take summers off. College is not high school anymore and my university had Summer term. So I just took coursework in the summer just like it was any other time of the year.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
When I was your age and studying at my university I did not take summers off. College is not high school anymore and my university had Summer term. So I just took coursework in the summer just like it was any other time of the year.
Same here, it's helpful because of less demand for classes in summer, and I was working full-time all year anyway while in college and graduate school.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Yes, excellent idea (Taking summer classes) Some summer terms were my BEST! (interesting Adjunct prof (who were actually knowledgeable and active in industry), small class size, low pressure, ez credits / low input from me (less time and less energy)).

IIRC, the costs were cheaper for summer term (Often the case for Out-Of-State tuition... Summer program is excluded) I think the overhead costs were also less (less services from U). Class schedule was very flexible and adaptive. (fewer students = ez to change the details.)

One very important thing about a BORING summer... "this time will never be recovered"... you just spent (wasted) a very precious summer.

Oh to be young again!
I certainly would NEVER waste a summer!
at that age I wasn't wasting a minute!

I had a motorcycle and bedroll and I was GONE... off on an adventure every free moment.
I was living in Colorado, near WY, so very close to Yellowstone, Utah, ID, SD... and even took a few trips to CA and PNW.

I wish I could have squeezed in a few more summers as a 20 something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities