Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:03 PM

55 posts, read 102,124 times

Advertisements

A certain Professor of mine uses a book that he authored on personal finance as the sole textbook for the course, practically everything revolves around it the class.

What bothers me is that the Book is $200.00 and is not found anywhere else but the publisher's website. There are much better books on the subject written for 20 dollars. I can't help but see this as a way for the Professor to opportunistically make students buy his book to boost his own income.

Is this common or even ethical to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 11:05 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
I think it's not uncommon.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Very common, very sad.

There are a LOT of used textbook / resell websites, Grab a BARGAIN (these textbooks are certainly Worthless AFTER the class...)

Try to find someone who suffered through this last semester. DIG deep!

Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 9,449,501 times
What school do you go to? When I got my BS, my school largely went away from making students buy physical text books and instead opted for free digital copies of books.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:43 PM

55 posts, read 102,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What school do you go to? When I got my BS, my school largely went away from making students buy physical text books and instead opted for free digital copies of books.
I go to a State University in Texas. Most Professors are friendly and tell students to get the cheaper kindle edition or something. This is just the first class I've had where the teacher makes students buy a self written and expensive Book, so it strikes me as wrong.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:39 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
Very common. Usually books very overpriced and school book store is the only place to find. My nephew went to a trade school for HVAC but they have a few non-trade classes they have to take. I guess to make them "more rounded". He only had choice of two and he had to take one in order to graduate. He ended up with Astronomy and was a total joke. Of course the professor wrote the book he was required to buy. This was at a well respected private/not state trade school that has been around for at least 50 years, if not longer.

You have to wonder just how that professor got that sweet deal, must know someone. There surely was some other classes that would be more beneficial for a trade school that could better prepare but be outside of a trade class.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:44 AM

265 posts, read 259,235 times
I'm a tax account who has a professor for a client. His textbooks are required for his classes. He refunds the royalties he earns on his textbooks sold at the university bookstore to the store.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:38 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Less common than it used to be actually, thanks to online sites where you can rate the professor. I frankly think it is unethical. I had a professor do it back in the dark ages and was absolutely appalled by poor quality of both the material and the editing in the book. I complained on the teacher evaluation, but many before me and after me had done the same and it made no difference. The college ignored it and the only way people found out back then was through word of mouth. Switch to another section if one is available and if not, just consider it part of the cost of taking the class. Be sure to express your dissatisfaction on the teacher evaluation, explaining exactly why you object, and find sites where you can forward others. Won’t help you, but at least it might help other students in the future.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:18 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
When my son went to community college, some of the professors were part of a group to write the textbooks. Then the textbooks were used ONLY for that community college and all students had to buy it. There were also online components that had to be purchased, so even if you bought the book, you had to buy the online component (one time use) as well.

While my son was home this summer, he took 2 community college classes to save some money. Both used books not written by professors, but he had to buy the $50-$70 interactive online portion separately. It was honestly some lazy teaching. All the quizzes, tests, and assignments were online and graded by the computer. It made it a lot less work for the professors!

Not sure if it is unethical, especially if the Universities expect professors to be published. And I am not sure the professors necessarily get the royalties, at least a large portion goes to the college itself typically.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:29 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
If you are a student in the class, you aren't an expert on the material. You can't know - given the course objectives stated in the syllabus - that other textbooks would be more suitable. I can sympathize with book prices being high though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities