Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Join the military, get free education, problem solved.

That’s what I had to do.

If you’re parents are poor and cheap like mine, you don’t have many options.
It's not free, we earned it. Free is if you didn't do anything for it and got it. Nothing is free as someone paid for it.

We provided a service and in exchange for that service receive entitlements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 03:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Nope, sorry, almost impossible to do. I was in math/physics - 2 degrees - the programs were incredibly difficult. And required a LOT of study and research.

I had a strong interest in both subjects, but the more the advanced the courses were, the more that was expected. And required. Studying 40-50 hours a week after classes was a given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Agreed working more than trivial hours in many STEM areas during college isn't reasonable.
or... you do what is required.

(3) STEM degrees while working FT (+ extra jobs to support a disabled parent)

24 hrs / day, I worked 30+ yrs of nights and did 10+ yrs of college

Worked weekends as a OTR truck driver (tough to study while driving 80,000# of truck through the snow and fog and ice in Mtns)

(homeschooled my own, and went BACK to college when they did so in grade 10). They worked their way through college by having GOOD paying summer gigs (AK fishing and wildland firefighting) ~$30k / $40k. Thus their school jobs were lighter duty (they worked nights and weekends and did STEM)

They Graduated Magna with the gold ropes, so I guess they mustered the necessary study time.

College is SUCH a short segment during HIGH energy yrs.

Embrace the challenge.

or... go get a real job and earn enough BEFORE you go to college. (military style)

a Tenant went to Iraq as a contractor to get enough money for school ($100k + / yr) so he stayed 7 yrs. (did a lot of online classes in his 'free time')

So many options, life is grand these days!

We had to do 'Butt-in-seat' time (working AND school) and driving for a living.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:49 AM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
You sound like her hobby was college and you made the best of things working as a truck driver.

Also dude not many people came back alive from being military contractors. They had military ( marines, etc ) who got over weight on purpose in order to be rejected but came back as a contractor. Your basically saying somebody should risk their kin/seed live for some money just to go to college and party. $100 is a lot to go to college with. If you also add the expenses of living ( housing, R&R, books, materials ). It is insanity studying.

Again you just prove some places in the United States have barely any jobs. Think about what women are doing for money in those areas?g

Old 10-02-2018, 04:46 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is. Trade schools, especially proprietary trade schools are notorious for saddling students with debt. I had not read the same about community colleges. The debt is usually negligible, and many students pay themselves.

Proprietary colleges are also offenders. The largest, not surprisingly is the worst. That would be the infamous University of Phoenix. They also have a 17% graduation rate.
That means that the rest of the students dropped out, could not continue, and are saddled with debt. "Schools" such as Phoenix should not be the beneficiaries of governmental student aid, especially loans.

Liberal arts colleges, on the other hand; while greatly reviled on this forum; seem to produce students who do find work in their fields and who continue on to graduate school.

My eldest graduates in his field with a degree most would say is useless. Yet, he only owes $25,000, and he is employed in his field.

The average new car costs less. Which reminds me, he is driving an older ours aid is paid off. The only thing we help him with is his phone, and car insurance. We want to do that.

No, he is not living at home, he is living in New England, sharing a house with friends.

He found his job through an unpaid, college affiliated internship.

My theory? All of these students who are forced into trades at an early age, or forced into studying a subject that they hate, take longer to graduate, ultimately do not graduate, and accrue more debt.
I don’t recall hearing anyone forced in a trade at an early age. Usually kids who are involved in the trade and early age have a parent who is in a trade a family business, they are taught a skill. These are not the kids who need to go to trade school. The reason trade school students are in so much debt is that the schools pray on areas of poverty and tell these kids are this is going to be the answer to their dreams. All of the schools are located near poor neighborhoods. They take out loans and these kids names and half the time they don’t even understand what is being done to them. These are not blue color trades trade schools cover everything from certified nurses aids to x-ray techs To working in a restaurant. But they don’t provide a good education. And a documentary, they had to nursing students who went through the entire program I never set foot in a hospital. Neither had been able to get a job in nursing because their training had not been adequate. There of been investigations into them on and off, but nothing ever happens to them.

Community colleges I’ve never heard of satellite kids with that unless the kids just keep keep changing majors and never graduate. My community college experience was awesome but I graduated there with no debt it was only in my transfer program that I accrued debt.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:10 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
or... you do what is required.

(3) STEM degrees while working FT (+ extra jobs to support a disabled parent)

24 hrs / day, I worked 30+ yrs of nights and did 10+ yrs of college

Worked weekends as a OTR truck driver (tough to study while driving 80,000# of truck through the snow and fog and ice in Mtns)

(homeschooled my own, and went BACK to college when they did so in grade 10). They worked their way through college by having GOOD paying summer gigs (AK fishing and wildland firefighting) ~$30k / $40k. Thus their school jobs were lighter duty (they worked nights and weekends and did STEM)

They Graduated Magna with the gold ropes, so I guess they mustered the necessary study time.

College is SUCH a short segment during HIGH energy yrs.

Embrace the challenge.

or... go get a real job and earn enough BEFORE you go to college. (military style)

a Tenant went to Iraq as a contractor to get enough money for school ($100k + / yr) so he stayed 7 yrs. (did a lot of online classes in his 'free time')

So many options, life is grand these days!

We had to do 'Butt-in-seat' time (working AND school) and driving for a living.
Note I said, "reasonable" not impossible.

While I respect what you've done very much it kind-of makes my point.

And my frame of reference, which I should have been more clear about is STEM degrees + great grades leading to grad and professional school.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
No its not, as I did it. I started my career three months before graduation while going to shool full time.
Good for you but people can do most anything for three months.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I finished the FASFA today for my daughter. Hopefully, we get some good news since she wants to aim for vet school after undergrad. Vet school is very expensive.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I finished the FASFA today for my daughter. Hopefully, we get some good news since she wants to aim for vet school after undergrad. Vet school is very expensive.
I'm just some dude on the internet. However, unless your kiddo has a burning passion for animals IMO she should manage undergrad such that she has a realistic shot at medicine or vet. medicine. It might be best if she made the medicine v. vet. medicine call after a year or two in college.

Vet. schools are fiendishly hard to get into, there are far fewer open slots per year vs. MD/DO paths. Vet. schools tend to cost about as much as most public medical schools and average vet. pay is not close to what MDs and DOs make. It's true, however, the path to becoming an MD/DO is generally three or four or more years longer.

FWIIW - between our son, his wife and our daughter all either are or will be MDs. Further, we own a ranch as such I know a number of vets. quite well.

Just some ideas, best of luck to your kiddo and you too!

Old 10-02-2018, 10:53 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm just some dude on the internet. However, unless your kiddo has a burning passion for animals IMO she should manage undergrad such that she has a realistic shot at medicine or vet. medicine. It might be best if she made the medicine v. vet. medicine call after a year or two in college.

Unless something had changed drastically, the pre med curriculum for both is really the same, bio I/II, chem I/II, organic, statistics, intro anatomy and physiology, genetics, etc.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:44 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post
Nobody on this forum is here to solve a person's problems. I found a niche during my universites home football games and made on average $2000.00 on a given Saturday. Granted most people tell me what I did was wrong but I never found any laws saying otherwise.
what was your niche?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities