Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:04 PM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times

Advertisements

I have difficulty believing you were the only one in your classes who was started late. LOTS of parents "red-shirt" their kids, thinking that being more mature and being a little ahead in brain development compared to the norm, will give them a boost, and help them get better grades. It's actually a "thing", and pretty popular.

Much ado about nothing, OP. Besides, there was nothing stopping you from going to college simultaneously, with your senior year. That was your bad; you had that choice.

In fact, some universities require freshmen applicants to already have done some college-level work, in order to be admitted: either college classes, or AP classes, or International Baccalaureate. You should have been on top of that.You can't get into some flagship state schools, and some private universities, without already having college-level work on your transcript, applying as a freshman.You may not get into the college/s of your choice, because you held yourself back, in your last year or two of HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,503,005 times
I think you're being pretty ridiculous. Go to college at the best place for you- regardless of where it is. I can't imagine you were always the oldest in your class (unless you went to a small school/small town), but maybe you were. There is no reason you should be embarrassed about it. It's a real shame you let this impact you in this way all these years. Really, no one (or almost no one) cares about this kind of thing.

I was always the youngest in my class. My mom has said that if she had known it was an option to hold me back a year, she would have (I was born just a week or so before the December cut off). It's mattered exactly twice in my life: when my grade-level peers were getting their licenses and I wasn't quite old enough yet (but honestly I wasn't that much younger) and when my college peers could legally drink and I had a few months to go. You're on the other side for both of those milestones. If you don't make a big deal of your age, no one else will, either. No one cares.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,804,437 times
At your typical 4 year residential college, Starting freshman year at age 18 and turning 19 sometime in over the course of the year is the norm. Some turn 19 on the early side and some turn later. You will be among plenty who turn 19 early. When there are exceptions, they tend to be people who are still 17 because usually they skipped a grade or started school early.

Either way, you will be the norm in college. Even state colleges draw students from other places, so you don’t have to worry about everyone being from your state.

Anyway, being among the first in your cohort to turn 21 will be a huge advantage no matter where you are. Heh.

Plus as others have said, there really isn’t a huge emphasis on age in college. No one really cares like that.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,915,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebowl View Post
I just started my senior year of high school, but I actually should be starting my freshman year of college. My birthday's October 1st, 2000, and the state where I live has a winter cutoff of December 31st, which means that I was supposed to start Kindergarten in the fall of 2005. However, because my parents thought I was immature and didn't have a lot of confidence in me, they waited until the fall of 2006 to send me. All through school, I've felt embarrassed about being a year behind, and out-of-place for being more than a year older than some of my classmates. The thing is, though, that most states have a September cutoff, which means that in most states, I wouldn't have been allowed to start Kindergarten until the fall of 2006. Thus, by the standards of most states, I'm in the right grade. If I went to college in a state with a September cutoff, I'd be exactly in the year I'm supposed to be, and no one would think it weird that I was turning 19 in October of my freshman year, since that's the norm for October-born people in that state. I'd still be one of the very oldest, but I'd still fall within the normal age range for my year. I know this seems crazy, but lately, nothing has been more important to me than being normal and fitting in.
Nobody cares about that stuff in college. You can be a 40 year old freshman and nobody cares although living in the dorms at that age might be weird.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,521,021 times
Not worth the worry you have spent on this. Nobody but a bartender is going to card you to see exactly how old you are. Nobody else cares.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:19 PM

33 posts, read 30,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post

Anyway, being among the first in your cohort to turn 21 will be a huge advantage no matter where you are. Heh.
Um, in what way? I'm told that in college, for however long you're long in class, you need to spend 3 times as long outside of class studying. Since you need 120 units to graduate college, and college is 8 semesters, that means most students need to take 15 units a semester. A typical unit-class meets twice a week for 1.25 hours, which amounts to 2.5 hours total. If I'm taking 5 3-unit classes, I'll be in class for 12.5 hours a week, which means that I'll have to spend 37.5 hours outside of class studying. That adds up to a total of 50 hours a week that I'll be busy. If I take 18 units my first 4 semesters, that will allow me to get by only taking 12 units my last 4 semesters, the minimum required to be considered a full-time student, I'll still be spending 10 hours in class a week, which means that I'll be spending 30 hours studying a week, which means that I'll be busy for a total of 40 hours. It doesn't sound like me or my friends will really have any time to get all hung up on bar-hopping.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:33 PM

33 posts, read 30,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

In fact, some universities require freshmen applicants to already have done some college-level work, in order to be admitted: either college classes, or AP classes, or International Baccalaureate. You should have been on top of that.You can't get into some flagship state schools, and some private universities, without already having college-level work on your transcript, applying as a freshman.You may not get into the college/s of your choice, because you held yourself back, in your last year or two of HS.
Where did I say that I wanted to go to a prestigious university? Prestige isn't important to me. Fitting in is. I have average intelligence and I'm not very studious, so I wouldn't fit in very well at a top university, where I would feel as though I was surrounded by prodigies.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,121,086 times
Quote:
Um, in what way? I'm told that in college, for however long you're long in class, you need to spend 3 times as long outside of class studying. Since you need 120 units to graduate college, and college is 8 semesters, that means most students need to take 15 units a semester. A typical unit-class meets twice a week for 1.25 hours, which amounts to 2.5 hours total. If I'm taking 5 3-unit classes, I'll be in class for 12.5 hours a week, which means that I'll have to spend 37.5 hours outside of class studying. That adds up to a total of 50 hours a week that I'll be busy. If I take 18 units my first 4 semesters, that will allow me to get by only taking 12 units my last 4 semesters, the minimum required to be considered a full-time student, I'll still be spending 10 hours in class a week, which means that I'll be spending 30 hours studying a week, which means that I'll be busy for a total of 40 hours. It doesn't sound like me or my friends will really have any time to get all hung up on bar-hopping.
Well, back when I was an undergraduate, everyone that I knew was taking a full load of 15 or 16 credits, plus working 12 to 20 hours a week at part time jobs and we still found plenty of time to bar-hop and party (of course not every night). In graduate school I was a full time student taking 12 graduate credits, working 40 hours per week and still had time for fun (of course not every night).

No one cares if you are a 17 year old freshman, or an 18 year old freshman, or a 19 year old freshman, or a 20 or 21 year old freshman.

Some people would notice if you were a 14 or 15 year old freshman or a 29 or 30 year old freshman, but they probably wouldn't care.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 PM

12,821 posts, read 9,015,255 times
Quote:
Where did I say that I wanted to go to a prestigious university? Prestige isn't important to me. Fitting in is. I have average intelligence and I'm not very studious, so I wouldn't fit in very well at a top university, where I would feel as though I was surrounded by prodigies.
You have a lot of hang-ups and misconceptions about college. State Flagship doesn't equate to "prestigious" and "prodigies." State Flagship means you will be surrounded by a few thousand people exactly like you, in your same age group, from the same kind of schools you attended. The only thing that will keep you from fitting in is if you choose not to fit in or get all hung up on something that is so much a non issue that no one else even thinks about it.

There are so many groups you will find one to fit in with. And no one cares. Repeat that: No one cares. It's college, not high school, and the cliques disappear.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:22 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,804,437 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness. lol. It was just a little joke, I wasn’t supposed to be analyzed to that degree!

Yes, you will have to study. But believe me, you will have time for parties as well. If you do end up studying 40 hours a week that is the same is a regular work week for your average adult, and people with jobs go out on the weekends with regularity. You can hit a party a night or two a week and not fail all your classes.

I do like that you are already serious about prioritizing schoolwork. More power to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities