Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

A 2.0 is a perfect GPA. Anything higher is wasted work and inefficient. You can graduate with a 2.0, why push it? If I got a B I was bummed out - I wasted too much time studying.

Besides, the A students end up working for the C students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
In my opinion...

In engineering at a decent school...

Super nerd = 3.8 to 4.0

Very good student = 3.4 to 3.7

Good student = 3.0 to 3.3

If your 4 year average is below a 3.0, that kinda means you didn't really work THAT hard. It's pretty easy to get Bs in most classes and EVERY major has a few easy As. So, putting in steady work but not studying like mad or ever going the extra mile should get you around a 3.1 to 3.2 pretty easily.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A 2.0 is a perfect GPA. Anything higher is wasted work and inefficient. You can graduate with a 2.0, why push it? If I got a B I was bummed out - I wasted too much time studying.

Why push it? Maybe so that your resume doesn't get tossed directly into the trash?

I guess if you're just going for some low level crap job, then yeah, it doesn't matter that you were a slacker in college. Good jobs at good employers will want to see that you're willing to do more than the bare minimum, and that you're actually capable of doing so.

"The A students end up working for the C students" is little more than a bit of nonsense that habitually lazy and not terribly bright people tell themselves so they can feel better about their mediocrity.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 04-11-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Unless its in math, science or engineering I always subtract 1.0 in order to get a realistic GPA.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM

427 posts, read 947,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why push it? Maybe so that your resume doesn't get tossed directly into the trash?

I guess if you're just going for some low level crap job, then yeah, it doesn't matter that you were a slacker in college. Good jobs at good employers will want to see that you're willing to do more than the bare minimum, and that you're actually capable of doing so.

"The A students end up working for the C students" is little more than a bit of nonsense that habitually lazy and not terribly bright people tell themselves so they can feel better about their mediocrity.
Exactly.

I was an A student, and you know who works for me? A students. The C students work for other companies.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:49 AM

219 posts, read 430,911 times
Quote:

Too funny. Maybe back when jobs were a plenty a 2.0 could still land you a decent job. In this economy, the C student is making sure I get fries with my order.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I did some college recruiting at my job (engineer). HR told us to accept all resumes but to make 2 piles...one with 3.0 and above and the other with 3.0 and below.

The interns we hired for summer work all had 3.0 and above.

For a new hire out of college, it's your GPA that will get you that first job. After that you're a "professional hire" and it's your resume and past work history.

The higher your GPA the better your chances because more employers will be interested in you.
In this economy of more workers than jobs, employers can be very picky.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I did some college recruiting at my job (engineer). HR told us to accept all resumes but to make 2 piles...one with 3.0 and above and the other with 3.0 and below.

The interns we hired for summer work all had 3.0 and above.

For a new hire out of college, it's your GPA that will get you that first job. After that you're a "professional hire" and it's your resume and past work history.

The higher your GPA the better your chances because more employers will be interested in you.
In this economy of more workers than jobs, employers can be very picky.
IMO, school matters a lot too. After all, if you are in the bottom half of your major, but your whole major is composed of people who were in the top 1% of their high school, it's still impressive.

A 3.0 in EECS at MIT is pretty much the equivalent to like a 4.0 in EECS at a less selective state school.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:

IMO, GPA is the best indicator of a person's work ethic. 4 years of consistent hard work and responsibility.

ANYBODY can glorify their resume and past job titles and make it seem impressive.

Unless you were a bad worker, most bosses will give you glowing references whether you set yourself apart or not.

Would you rather give a job to a guy who has a 2.5 GPA based on a glitzed up resume and an arse kissing 50 minute interview, or a guy who has a 3.7 GPA who isn't as impressive during the interview. Say both are 5-7 years out of school.

I'd have no question which one I'd give it to.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM

83 posts, read 194,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Unless its in math, science or engineering I always subtract 1.0 in order to get a realistic GPA.
And that's logical how What about someone like me who has an IT degree and a psychology degree and completed each one with a GPA over 3.8?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities