Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I'm active in my school's alumni association, and we have lots of events in town: usually several per day, plus a large alumni clubhouse. The alumni association is large and a lot of other people in it have done very well in their careers. There are constantly people who didn't attend my school who attend the alumni events.

Question: Isn't it odd to attend alumni events (both career-oriented and purely social ones) for a school that you didn't attend?

I am invited every now and then by coworkers to attend their schools' career-oriented alumni events, and I decline; it just seems weird, in part because one of the topics of conversation is always, "when did you graduate?"

Thanks.
i think its awesome.

why do people do it?

does it have a negative impact on others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Pay to play? then those who pay get to play! (Alumni or not)

Very selfish to restrict access to people who may have had many circumstances that dis-allowed them to make the choice or have access to the school in question. Maybe they are from overseas with limited access to THEIR own Alma Mater. Maybe their life has changed significantly since they were students and NOW they desire to contribute to the education / plans / success of others.

Maybe they made mistakes? (I have made a few).

At age 18 I became the caregiver for a disabled parent, so I have no 'Alumni' organization to associate with. Many others in my boat. But we are lifelong students and teachers without 'fellow alumni'...

Interesting subject, as they say.... "First World Problems" (of the 'entitled')
this is kind of weird. if an alumni organization wants to limit their events to only alumni, i dont see that as inappropriate in any way.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:22 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I think it is weird to want to go to some alumni event without actually be a graduate of the school, or at the minimum, ever being part of the school like a few classes or something.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think it is weird to want to go to some alumni event without actually be a graduate of the school, or at the minimum, ever being part of the school like a few classes or something.
its probably a good place to meet intelligent people for dating (or hooking up). like back in college.

there are a variety of reasons for someone to want to do it. so i dont see it as the least bit weird. it just may seem strange to someone who hasnt thought about why someone would do it.

i bet if you asked these people why they do it, they have perfectly rational reasons.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
But how do they have activities EVERY DAY? Is there really something going on every evening when people get off work?
There are lots of events every day. It's a large school with its own alumni building in town. Events are generally for networking (or similar career-focused things). They aren't like high school reunions--they're for business development, generally (whether overtly so or not), and sub-groups of the alumni association (e.g., recent graduates, lawyers, people in real estate) have their own events, often with speakers.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its probably a good place to meet intelligent people for dating (or hooking up). like back in college.

there are a variety of reasons for someone to want to do it. so i dont see it as the least bit weird. it just may seem strange to someone who hasnt thought about why someone would do it.

i bet if you asked these people why they do it, they have perfectly rational reasons.
Eh, maybe, I guess if view it from not a reunion mindset, but from a networking mindset, it makes sense. I guess the ultimate purpose/intent of the alumni gathering would be important.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:58 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
This is simply one more issue for the "unfathomable" pile. Go, have a good time, don't be so concerned about that which doesn't outright affect you, and now--back to real world education concerns...

Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Pay to play? then those who pay get to play! (Alumni or not)

Very selfish to restrict access to people who may have had many circumstances that dis-allowed them to make the choice or have access to the school in question. Maybe they are from overseas with limited access to THEIR own Alma Mater. Maybe their life has changed significantly since they were students and NOW they desire to contribute to the education / plans / success of others.

Maybe they made mistakes? (I have made a few).

At age 18 I became the caregiver for a disabled parent, so I have no 'Alumni' organization to associate with. Many others in my boat. But we are lifelong students and teachers without 'fellow alumni'...

Interesting subject, as they say.... "First World Problems" (of the 'entitled')
Reminds me of the stolen valor types that washed out but wear medals and uniforms they didn't earn.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:12 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
This is simply one more issue for the "unfathomable" pile. Go, have a good time, don't be so concerned about that which doesn't outright affect you, and now--back to real world education concerns...

It does affect me. If I go to an alumni event, it's to meet other alumni for business. When these alumni events have slews of non-alumni in them, then they're no better than a bar or something open to the general public, where you meet strangers with whom you have nothing in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities