U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 254 times

Advertisements

Hey, so basically am third year (junior) Accounting student. it first started when I graduated from high school I had no idea what should I major in, my only subject interest at high school was Biology, I wasn't really interested in any other course at school However,I hated math and chemistry I was a C/D+ student in those courses. My dad told me to get into Accounting since its a good degree, Freshman year seemed fun and easy, as soon as i started with sophomore year things got harder especially when I took the course Intermediate Accounting 1, I still until this day feel lost with entries or debits and credits I don't get the concept of debits and credits even though I have tried and asked many of my instructors, not only that but it seemed that I wasn't the only guy out there lost with debits and credits I figured out that several other students tend to memorize them just like I do. The concepts that I find boring other my colleagues find it interesting and what I find interesting my colleagues find it boring.

I sometimes don't get the math we do in some accounting courses although its the basics of math, I get lost in percentages for example , In fact I remember once where an Accounting instructor was explaining to me a question and she was like "all you gotta do now is find the percentage" it felt awkward especially when i stood for 3 seconds and asked how, she got shocked and was like "its basic math you learned back in Elementary school". whats worse is that It takes me twice the time to study and understand than any other student.I sometimes feel that am in the wrong place especially when all the students around me in class get the concepts from the first time but It takes me time to understand the same concept.

i took a Digital Marketing course in my Second year and I loved it the class was interesting, I figured another career path that I can take so I started studying and learning more about Digital Marketing online. so what you can do is get a recognized degree in digital marketing online.

Did anyone feel the same way I did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 12:40 PM

33,474 posts, read 40,986,234 times
First off, is there a major in Digital Marketing at your school? If yes, then you switch your major/concentration from Accounting to that.

If no, the question becomes "Is Digital Marketing part of an overall Marketing major/concentration?". If the answer is yes then you switch to Marketing.

Since both Accounting and Marketing usually fall under an overall Business Administration major you should have most of your courses taken already count in both concentrations. You might even have enough Accounting credits to make it your minor, another bang for your buck paired with Marketing.

Talk to your advisor, which should have been your step before asking here.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:41 PM

76,027 posts, read 67,909,226 times
Your school must offer a Marketing program...? Your accounting background would be relevant to some extent, I would think. Where are you in your junior year? Are you near the end? So to switch would require you stay an extra year in college? How are your studies financed: loans? Parents? Both and more?

Be glad you finally found a niche for yourself. OK, we know you're not a math guy. (Full disclosure: I never completely learned how to do percentages either, even with tutoring at the end of elementary school! . ). Have you looked into how much math is involved, in marketing? Have you looked at the degree program requirements?

And yes, absolutely--see your department advisor, or the Business School advisor, or whatever relevant dept.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:15 PM

5,910 posts, read 2,663,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGH257 View Post
Hey, so basically am third year (junior) Accounting student. it first started when I graduated from high school I had no idea what should I major in, my only subject interest at high school was Biology, I wasn't really interested in any other course at school However,I hated math and chemistry I was a C/D+ student in those courses. My dad told me to get into Accounting since its a good degree, Freshman year seemed fun and easy, as soon as i started with sophomore year things got harder especially when I took the course Intermediate Accounting 1, I still until this day feel lost with entries or debits and credits I don't get the concept of debits and credits even though I have tried and asked many of my instructors, not only that but it seemed that I wasn't the only guy out there lost with debits and credits I figured out that several other students tend to memorize them just like I do. The concepts that I find boring other my colleagues find it interesting and what I find interesting my colleagues find it boring.

I sometimes don't get the math we do in some accounting courses although its the basics of math, I get lost in percentages for example , In fact I remember once where an Accounting instructor was explaining to me a question and she was like "all you gotta do now is find the percentage" it felt awkward especially when i stood for 3 seconds and asked how, she got shocked and was like "its basic math you learned back in Elementary school". whats worse is that It takes me twice the time to study and understand than any other student.I sometimes feel that am in the wrong place especially when all the students around me in class get the concepts from the first time but It takes me time to understand the same concept.

i took a Digital Marketing course in my Second year and I loved it the class was interesting, I figured another career path that I can take so I started studying and learning more about Digital Marketing online. so what you can do is get a recognized degree in digital marketing online.

If youíve taken Intermediate Accounting, and donít thoroughly understand the debit/credit framework, get out now.

If you arenít comfortable with percentages, do whatever remedial math work you need to and switch to marketing. Youíll be much happier.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:30 PM

8,941 posts, read 3,478,038 times
WOW, OP, you started college just like I did.

This is literally what happened. I went to my high school counselor to get an application for University of Texas, and he was out of them so he said in the interim I might be interested in Texas A&M instead, here's an application.

I stayed and talked to him about possible majors, and he said accounting with an economics minor is a good plan. So I did it.

I HATED it. I never ever understood the whole concept of credits and debits either. In my world, everything is a credit OR a debit.

Anyway, if you hate it, get out NOW and follow your passion.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:33 AM

488 posts, read 180,966 times
sigh.............. strap yourself down and just study study abour precentages or whatever you are lost in. Make it your mission.

Might as well become a surgeon.

Digital marketing only works if you have money to play around with. You have to have experience selling lies to people. Basically salesmanship. That interacting with people.

On job search I found a lot of students are actually accountant majors attempting to take service jobs in the airport. That is what the

SOME VIDEOS BELOW HAVE PROFANITY BUT IS WHAT MOST SHOULD CHECKOUT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdXEJEnujzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVsc3wzHCsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrSS_xPkSy8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBLgtGkd8Hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVCd9lJv-do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKUOf-3jxPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYvYNO5N8FM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSJgfYvWFQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFoflgTG60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRxUYImNoSc

Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,661,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGH257 View Post

You can borrow a book at a library and become a digital marketer. Ten years from now, you may be happy to have an accounting degree. It sounds like you need a math refresher.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,821 posts, read 38,884,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
You can borrow a book at a library and become a digital marketer. Ten years from now, you may be happy to have an accounting degree. It sounds like you need a math refresher.

There are many jobs (non-accounting) that hire based on who had the discipline to survive their accounting degree program!

I had my kids do informational interviews with hiring managers and the managers claimed they immediately look for accounting degree grads. (if only for the proof they can actually accomplish something tough)

As a hiring manager... it gets really old and expensive to TRAIN college grads.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:27 AM

10,592 posts, read 8,069,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There are many jobs (non-accounting) that hire based on who had the discipline to survive their accounting degree program!

I had my kids do informational interviews with hiring managers and the managers claimed they immediately look for accounting degree grads. (if only for the proof they can actually accomplish something tough)

As a hiring manager... it gets really old and expensive to TRAIN college grads.
College is not nor was it ever meant to be a job training program. Going to college is about becoming educated.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:35 PM

5,927 posts, read 2,322,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
College is not nor was it ever meant to be a job training program. Going to college is about becoming educated.
Yes. And part of that education is figuring out what really motivates or intrigues you and where innate skills might actually lie. Most of us develop some assumptions about what we will do with our lives pretty young. Elementary school can expose us to smidgens of things that tend to reinforce that. Once the bigger world starts hitting you in high school or college (if you actually pay attention to what's being tossed at your brain in those much-maligned general obligate courses) all that can get blown away. If it does, your education was probably successful.

Maybe a more extreme example, but it happened to me. Like many kids I loved nature, observing, stalking, capturing, and caring for all sorts of creatures and plants. After elementary school "taught" me that biology, science and math were boring and difficult I focused on the arts because I also happened to be a good illustrator. Started off as a fine arts major/literature minor in college. By my sophomore year a few inspiring professors and courses managed to destroy all my little assumptions...ended up finishing with a BS in wildlife biology/management and spent the next 35 years in a profession I loved.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-22-2019 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or