U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 05:30 PM

144 posts, read 54,749 times

Advertisements

I need take one more General Ed class, and my counselor sugested "Intro to Lit." I wanted to know how do I prepare for this class, I am not an English major, or very good at it. What books should I, what should I study? I was going to try to email the professor once I register to the class, but if I can start now on preparing that would be better. Thank you if you reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 05:36 PM

76,771 posts, read 68,768,776 times
It's an Intro class, OP. You're not expected to be an English major (it's for non-majors). The only thing is--how are your writing skills? You'll probably be expected to write essays, after class discussion on a book, and hopefully, the instructor will explain how to read and understand literature.

Did you enjoy literature in high school? I wonder why the counselor suggested that class. Is everyone in your school required to have a basic lit class, for graduation? It's required in many universities.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's an Intro class, OP. You're not expected to be an English major (it's for non-majors). The only thing is--how are your writing skills? You'll probably be expected to write essays, after class discussion on a book, and hopefully, the instructor will explain how to read and understand literature.

Did you enjoy literature in high school? I wonder why the counselor suggested that class. Is everyone in your school required to have a basic lit class, for graduation? It's required in many universities.
The section is "Reading Proficiency" and it is only ENGL classes. Intro to lit is "ENGL 102c." They offer ENGL 103c Critical Reasoning and Writing, 104HC Critical Analysis and Literature , 106C Critical Reading, Writing and Thinking.

I like writing, research, the only thing I struggle with is novel interpretations. Or reading something that was written years ago. I tested my writing skills in a Art History paper a few semester ago, and got a B on the paper, so I think I am average in writing.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:33 AM

166 posts, read 76,435 times
Mike2017 - Email the professor today and tell him/her that you are considering enrolling in the course, but have questions about class expectations. Ask to see a copy of the syllabus, then follow-up with any specific questions you may have about assignments. Best of luck!

Old 04-16-2019, 04:22 PM

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
Mike2017 - Email the professor today and tell him/her that you are considering enrolling in the course, but have questions about class expectations. Ask to see a copy of the syllabus, then follow-up with any specific questions you may have about assignments. Best of luck!
Thank you, you gave me the idea to call the ENGL department, and they emailed me the syllabus for that section. I was also told that if I had any questions to call them. So thanks again.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM

3,907 posts, read 7,423,400 times
You don't have to take the course your counselor suggests. You could take 103c and do the writing without the emphasis on literature.

Old Today, 12:53 PM

76,771 posts, read 68,768,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
The section is "Reading Proficiency" and it is only ENGL classes. Intro to lit is "ENGL 102c." They offer ENGL 103c Critical Reasoning and Writing, 104HC Critical Analysis and Literature , 106C Critical Reading, Writing and Thinking.

I like writing, research, the only thing I struggle with is novel interpretations. Or reading something that was written years ago. I tested my writing skills in a Art History paper a few semester ago, and got a B on the paper, so I think I am average in writing.
I can definitely relate to the bolded. Maybe, in that case, you should take the "Critical Analysis" class. Sounds like they teach literary analysis, which would help you tremendously, in decoding novels. You could contact the department academic advisor, and ask. The advisors are there to provide you with this type of guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities