Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 04:54 PM

200 posts, read 183,115 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so muchmuch My daughter has her work cut out for herself but is ambitious and not afraid of hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 05:16 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Stevens Institute of Technology in NJ often has an older, nontraditional student body majoring in engineering. It's a well regarded local school.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:30 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
What others said, investigate an MS program. A great many engineering programs will take a person with a solid science degree and work experience.

Unwise to limit the search to NJ.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:00 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
It appears that New Jersey has delegated all Testing, including and Test Application Process, to the NCEES. All States, or nearly all states, use the NCEES exams but some still require test applicants to register through the State.

Things have changed a lot since I took this exam 40 years ago! At that time there was one FE Exam for all disciplines. Now they have multiple specialties each with their own exam. Linked below is info for the Chemistry specialty exam.

https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads...BT-specs-1.pdf

Based on this my earlier assumption regarding examination eligibility is almost certainly incorrect.

ps: NCEES is the acronym for National Council of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
Thank you all so muchmuch My daughter has her work cut out for herself but is ambitious and not afraid of hard work.
I would suggest she investigate which field of Civil she wants to go into and try and get an internship working in that field BEFORE she goes and gets any degree whether it be bachelors or masters.

Typically you have to have an engineering degree from an ABET accredited program before they let you sit for the exam, get your PE, yada, yada, at least we did, but that is of less concern.

What is of more concern is that she decides she really wants to do it before committing to getting another degree... and the only you're going to know that is by doing it. Whether it be structural or, construction management.

I might even see if she could get a job in Civil Engineering without the degree. Just go balls out and apply. Unlikely, but if she's a people person, she probably could.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:58 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
daughter has A bachelors of science degree and wants to go into civil engineering. We live in Jersey and she is currently working in the field of infrastructure which has prompted this decision. Any school programs suggestions or possibly the road to take to attain an engineering degree.
I am a mechanical engineer with licensure so I am very familiar with how to the industry works. The best way to go about this is for her to get her degree in Civil Engineering. It is "possible" to do civil engineering without a civil engineering degree, but it is a pain in the butt with licensure. Just to be clear, licensure for a civil engineer is practically non-negotiable like it is for many of the other engineering disciplines.

The first thing I would do is ask my employer if they would support/pay for her to go back to school to get an MS in Civil Engineering or to get another bachelors. Many don't, but some do.

Second, if she has to pay out of pocket, she will want to spend as little time and money in school as possible. Civil engineering is one of those fields that experience matters much more than education.

Third, getting licensed is VERY important and the goal should be to get an FE and eventually PE. States have different rules and it is worth checking out the rules. Multiple state licensure is also not uncommon. Having a NJ only license should not be the only goal.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:02 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Having a NJ only license should not be the only goal.
Especially in NJ!

Civil is a very local discipline, but in a state like NJ, not having a PA, NY or DE license is silly. Like having a license in Rhode Island but not MA or CT.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I think someone with a chemistry degree would have to take an awful lot of courses to be able to qualify for a masters in CE. In other words, I think they would basically have to get a BSCE before they could start masters work.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:25 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I think someone with a chemistry degree would have to take an awful lot of courses to be able to qualify for a masters in CE. In other words, I think they would basically have to get a BSCE before they could start masters work.
That's what I was thinking, posting earlier. But even "just" a BA in CE would give her some viable career options that align with her interests, OP.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:37 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,664 times
I'll just throw out the experience of a sibling of mine (from the last 10 years.)

Sibling got a bachelor's degree in a building-related field (just trying to protect anonymity) but from a world-renowned technical institution with rigorous math/science requirements for all majors.

Sibling worked for a bit in that field, then a bit in an unrelated field, then applied to and was accepted into some doctoral programs in a sub-specialty of Civil Engineering. Sibling did have some of the prereqs, but not all, and was allowed to complete them within the program.

Sibling ended up leaving with masters since that is all that is needed to practice. Got a lower-level engineering position, took FE exam, worked some more, took PE exam, and is now a fully-licensed engineer overseeing other engineers.

I do not know how much of this sibling's success in being accepted into doctoral programs had to do with being a graduate of a very impressive undergraduate institution which is in itself extremely difficult to get into - probably much more difficult than admission to the doctoral programs.

Oh, to add, the doctoral program was fully-funded, as doctoral programs usually are, so the masters ended up being basically "free." This might be kind of a hard route to go to get a fully-funded masters, and is probably an unethical route if your intention from the start is to leave after obtaining the masters.

Last edited by cowbell76; 04-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities