Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 PM

508 posts, read 526,661 times

Advertisements

How to handle Noisy roommate preventing sleep/study ?
================================================== ===

Thanks for responding to my threads.

My son is complaining that he is not able to sleep/study, because his room mate laugh loudly at night. He too snore.

My son stay out of room most of the time due to this reason. He talked with his room mate. Situation did not change.

I am not sure, whether some health condition cause these issues for his room mate.

What are the strategies to fix this issue?

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
How to handle Noisy roommate preventing sleep/study ?
================================================== ===

Thanks for responding to my threads.

My son is complaining that he is not able to sleep/study, because his room mate laugh loudly at night. He too snore.

My son stay out of room most of the time due to this reason. He talked with his room mate. Situation did not change.

I am not sure, whether some health condition cause these issues for his room mate.

What are the strategies to fix this issue?

Thanks for sharing.
Why would your son stay out of the room most of the time? Does his roommate sleep all day, too?

Being that it's the end of April & less than a month away from exam week, tell your son he should make sure to find a new roommate for next year. Don't room with him again.

Are there no libraries with quiet spaces/floors or study lounges at your son's college?

No guarantee, but have him buy ear plugs or a fan or some other form of white noise to help block his roommate's "issues" out so he can catch some sleep until the end of finals.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:20 AM

410 posts, read 342,974 times
Universities and colleges often have a resident assistant or an RA that lives in the dorm. This is often another student, usually an upper classman. They have some training in mediating issues between roommates. Beyond the RA level, there is someone in university administration that deals with issues that arise between roommates. You just need to identify who these people are. Like everything else associated with college, room/board is very expensive. You have paid good money for your child to have a place to rest, study, etc. He should not have to frequently vacate the premises because of the roommate's poor behavior.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:11 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Earplugs for the snoring. The library, for studying. If the roommate is chronically noisy during the day, your son could speak to the Resident Assistant on his floor (as advised in the above post), to resolve the problem.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Noise is a very personal thing.

Many are unaware they are disturbing others (May have grown up in a large boisterous family).

Some people study and sleep with radio (not me).

If I need to Study, I stay away from noisy people and environments.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:52 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Study at library
Sleep with earplugs and a fan/white noise app on phone

Old 10-03-2019, 09:31 AM

508 posts, read 526,661 times
Thanks for weighing in.

I find many white Noise devices/Phone apps.

Are these reliable ?

What are the reliable/working white Noise devices/Phone apps to count on?

Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:50 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
Thanks for weighing in.

I find many white Noise devices/Phone apps.

Are these reliable ?

What are the reliable/working white Noise devices/Phone apps to count on?

Thanks for sharing.
You wrote your original post at the end of the school year, which itself was a little strange, because your son somehow got through the majority of the school year. Why in the world would he stay with the same roommate for another school year? Or did he find a different noisy roommate? I think the only way to find out if a noise app works is to just try it out. I'm sure they work for some people and not for others.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:20 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
If your roommate commits suicide, you automatically get straight A's for the year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities