Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 07:23 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. I have a 4 yr. degree, which I never used--instead I stayed home to raise children and homeschooled them for many years. Now they're back in school and I am working as a substitute teacher, which I enjoy very much. However my husband wants me to get a steadier job, and I would love to be a teacher, but of course I have no degree hours in teaching. My girls are teenagers, so I hate to use their college money for me to get the 30-40 more credit hours I would need. We're in St. Louis. I'm applying for teacher's aide jobs right now, and not hearing back from anyone and wondering if overqualification is a problem? Also, how would school systems view my homeschooling experience? Would most consider it a good thing or a strike against me? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I need some advice. I have a 4 yr. degree, which I never used--instead I stayed home to raise children and homeschooled them for many years. Now they're back in school and I am working as a substitute teacher, which I enjoy very much. However my husband wants me to get a steadier job, and I would love to be a teacher, but of course I have no degree hours in teaching. My girls are teenagers, so I hate to use their college money for me to get the 30-40 more credit hours I would need. We're in St. Louis. I'm applying for teacher's aide jobs right now, and not hearing back from anyone and wondering if overqualification is a problem? Also, how would school systems view my homeschooling experience? Would most consider it a good thing or a strike against me? Any ideas?
Depending on what your degree is in you can just take enough classes to get a teaching certificate in some states. Good Luck!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 PM

303 posts, read 980,647 times
You say you would love to be a teacher and I can tell you would be a good one at that.

I do not believe it would be a strike against you just because you home-schooled your own children.

Arrange to speak with the head of human resources for the district you are in and ask him or her for guidance as what you need to do to get into the mainstream of teaching. Likely, you will have to take some accredited courses, but it shows genuine interest and is a start in the right direction.

Good luck to you, I bet you will make a great teacher.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
See if there is an alternative certificate program in your state for people who already have bachelor degrees. You can do that here by taking classes one summer and then starting to teach in the Fall for pay (on a probationary status) and then you take some classes on the weekends during the school year and after that school year you get a teaching certificate.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I think I will look into community college classes this summer, and I think I could get a certificate rather than having to go back for another full degree. I guess I'll keep looking for a teacher's aide job. They seem to like me as a sub, so maybe I can get a referral that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities