Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
I haven't been in your exact situation, but I did return to college at the age of 34 (I worked in retail for 3 years - I know how you feel!! ).

Here are some ideas that hopefully will help you:

1) Start slow. Consider starting at a community college where the classes will be less rigourous and the students are catered to (in a good way!) more than at a large university.

2) Wherever you go, they'll have math classes at all levels, and there will be tutors - maybe even free ones! - to help you.

3) If you think you are going to need to put extra time into your classes because of the language barriers, take a lighter load - consider going to school part time.

Best of all - your motivation will carry you through!! You sound like you really really want a degree, and us adult students are better organized and more mature - it makes college SO MUCH easier than at age 18. Heck, I wish I had never gone when I was 18 and just started at your age!

Find out what support services are available at your school - tutoring, advisors, etc. There are people there to help you!

Good luck!
@OP:
I second what katreese said above. Don't be afraid. Persistence is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
everything katreese said!!

BTW, professors love older students. They are a breath of fresh air. So we are pulling for you!!

S.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,708 times
Don't be afraid. Never be afraid to SUCCEED. That's why school is there so it can help you with the subjects you need help with. Your not going to be the only one there that doesn't understand. Your not going to be the only one there who is AFRAID.

You are going to do GREAT once you get the hang of your classes, and think of all the KOOL NEW PEOPLE YOU'LL MEET. So GOOD LUCK to you and let us know how it goes.

Remember you don't want to work RETAIL FOREVER so you MUST GO BACK TO SCHOOL and NEVER BE AFRAID TO BE BETTER

Old 05-09-2009, 12:15 AM

332 posts, read 1,430,949 times
Just want to send best wishes! Congrats on your decision.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,864 times
I decided to go to college at 33 years old. I will finally graduate next week, at 41 years old, with a BS degree in geology! I was seldom the oldest one in my classes.

When I started college I knew I wanted to get a science degree and I also knew that my math skills were non-existent. I started in pre-algebra and worked my way up to calculus II, 10 math classes!

I wish I had gone to school a long time ago.
I decided that I could go now, go later, or not go at all.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
at 31 the girl thing is over. its time to hit the ground running. forget advanced degrees. go to jr college and do some Vocational ed, my favorite is RN but LVN and CNA are also very achievable.
the LVN crossover to RN is great bek you skip all those prerequisites.
42 units LVN for crossover 30 units total of 72 units 3 year project with no debt.
go for it if you wana.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:05 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
You will probably find it easier to get good grades now that you are older and will be more serious about it. I started college when I was older then most of the other students and found it easy to get some of the best grades in he class because so many other younger students were too busy dating and partying.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:18 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
Congratulations on taking this step! It may seem overwhelming right now, but I have a feeling you will do just fine. Please let us know how you're doing and we will be here to offer support.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:14 AM

112 posts, read 581,637 times
I'm also 34 and planning on going back to school. I've worked in retail also but I enjoy working with the public. I plan on going to a community college for a couple of years and then maybe a university. My marriage is in trouble and I've got to do something. I'm also nervous about the math. Good luck, I think you'll do just fine.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 PM

179 posts, read 357,264 times
Don't be scared at all. At my college there are tests you take before you enroll that decide your math placement. There is a basic college algebra course that gives you the basics of math. Research the potential professors and try to find one that is notorious for helping the students, as it is basically luck of the draw with professors. Get to know the TA's and attend review sessions when at all possible. Study,study, and study some more. Find friends and study with them in groups. Go to the labs as they will help you with writing and technique. Get revisions from friends, professors, TA's and anybody that will read your papers. Get to know your academic advisor and don't be afraid to ask questions. You should be fine. There are plenty of people your age and older in a lot of my courses, which are senior (3000-4000) level courses. Good luck!
--Brandon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities