Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 11:58 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That's not really true.

Not only are the last 2 years easier, they're usually more interesting. It's the classes like Differential Equations and Dynamics that get students.

I can't even tell you how dumb it is that you have to take 2 years of calc to become a civil engineer when civil engineers NEVER use calc. Ever...

These are the sort of things that adults are supposed to explain to kids. What civil engineers and investment bankers, and pharmacists really do on a daily basis.

Well ... kids can see what pharmacists do...
Those last two years only seem easier because you survived the first two. You had enough calc to understand what was going on in the upper division classes. If someone didn't survive those first two years, do you seriously think you could just dump them in upper division and understand it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 12:34 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Ok all points taken. And I only use nursing as an example. My kid has no interest in nursing or any medical field. To me it’s sad that again you do all your heavy lifting in high school to be competitive for college admissions, and then there’s more competition to pursue what you want to do. Seems strange to me. And honestly how many people leave UNC when they get rejected from their school of choice? If a major/school like nursing or pharmacy was that great at a college like UNC, then you’d think that they would make it robust enough so more kids can peruse it. Maybe I’m thinking too much into it.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Ok all points taken. And I only use nursing as an example. My kid has no interest in nursing or any medical field. To me it’s sad that again you do all your heavy lifting in high school to be competitive for college admissions, and then there’s more competition to pursue what you want to do. Seems strange to me. And honestly how many people leave UNC when they get rejected from their school of choice? If a major/school like nursing or pharmacy was that great at a college like UNC, then you’d think that they would make it robust enough so more kids can peruse it. Maybe I’m thinking too much into it.
Umm. The competition never stops. It's just going to get worse from here.

Once your kid gets out of engineering school and maybe does a masters, then she's going to have to compete with other engineers who are after promotions.

Just an example.

That's why I encourage young people to really find out about what working in that field is like. Internships, tell your kid to take as many internships as they can as early and as often as they can...

Also, internships is what employers will be looking for so they don't have to spend $ to train you.

Last edited by jobaba; 07-26-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-26-2020, 12:54 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Those last two years only seem easier because you survived the first two. You had enough calc to understand what was going on in the upper division classes. If someone didn't survive those first two years, do you seriously think you could just dump them in upper division and understand it?
I disagree but I can only speak for Civil.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:15 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
This is exactly how it's done at most universities.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:17 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
You need to prepare your kid - the heavy lifting has only just begun - it is going to get heavier.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:42 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Umm. The competition never stops. It's just going to get worse from here.

Once your kid gets out of engineering school and maybe does a masters, then she's going to have to compete with other engineers who are after promotions.

Just an example.

That's why I encourage young people to really find out about what working in that field is like. Internships, tell your kid to take as many internships as they can as early and as often as they can...

Also, internships is what employers will be looking for so they don't have to spend $ to train you.
For sure, I agree. But high school honestly felt like a pressure cooker. By the time she finishes she will have taken more than 10 AP classes and has done well in them. But in part it’s all been done with the end mindset of getting into a choice university. No doubt the challenge and competition Don’t stop, but you can surely appreciate it from a high schoolers perspective. I am doing this hard work to get into my school of choice..... then to be rejected to do the major of my choice. Again, she isn’t applying to UNC, but I just wondered why they do it, and I guess it isn’t all that uncommon.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:51 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
And UNC Charlotte has a very fine engineering school.

Words of advice from someone who went to a very academically challenging high school then a top-10 engineering school and has been earning a living as a practicing engineer and engineering manager for 35+ years:

It does not get easier. There is no point at which you have "done the heavy lifting" and now you can coast.

If your daughter can't handle that, maybe she needs to get a job as a counter clerk at the DMV. (I expect she CAN handle it, and that you're reacting way more than she is.)

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-26-2020 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: removed the boo hoo. play nice

Old 07-26-2020, 01:56 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
There’s something so confusing to me. Help me understand. So if you are lucky enough to get into UNC Chapel Hill, you are not guaranteed a spot in the school of your choosing. For example, if you dream to be a nurse, you do all the heavy lifting in HS and land a spot at UNC, but you can’t apply to the nursing school until you are a sophomore or junior. But they only accept a few kids to the program, which then at that point you need to change your life plan or leave the school. I keep hearing this time and time again. UNC has been a top choice for my kid since she was little but she isn’t applying because A, UNC doesn’t have an engineering school and B, she finds this to be super stressful and a scam. We know several people who have had to change their plans because they didn’t get to do what they dreamed to do. I’ve never heard of such a thing. Can someone who knows and understands this please help explain?
This happens in a lot of programs in a lot of schools around the country and has for a long time. Where have you been? It's called competition just like the real world.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
As somebody that has attended programs that are ranked in the top 10 (major, and nationally) for both undergraduate and graduate, my opinion is that undergraduate admissions are much more fair than "the real world". Definnitely more fair than "corporate America", or "graduate school". My major was impacted as an undergraduate, and direct admission was not guaranteed. Although the naming varies, it is common to be required to finish lower level, and have some application, test and/or g.p.a. cutoff (in certain classes) to advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities