Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you look at ktalley's other posts, she says she is Swedish and has trouble reading and writing English.
Her English is a lot better than my Swedish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
If you look at ktalley's other posts, she says she is Swedish and has trouble reading and writing English.
Do you think it will matter to her instructors that English is her second language, if she can't express herself coherently in a written assignment?

Old 05-02-2008, 04:13 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Wow, why do we feel the need to jump on one poster? Do we also expect that each poster is going to write like she's writing an essay in class?

Why don't we make suggestions for the OP and be helpful?

Old 05-02-2008, 07:53 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Do you think it will matter to her instructors that English is her second language, if she can't express herself coherently in a written assignment?
Yes. Furthermore, if you read the entire thread, I was supporting the legitimacy of her post, not the skill or lack thereof of her writing.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Only if the instructor is a Moderator cut: non PG-13 word

Last edited by Beretta; 05-03-2008 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: please keep the forum PG-13, thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 03:21 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
mm_mary, that was mean. I never read a slam into that and I went to CC for more than 2 years myself. The fact is that you have no idea what some people go thru and I have only the utmost respect for those who keep on keeping on when times are tough.
It was meant to be harsh, since I have read other posts using several nasty and unfriendly jabs of this nature to insult people who chose to go this route on their way to further education.
I happen to teach at a community college and advise people who are looking at 2nd careers after being forced out of jobs due to downsizing, single parent families without government subsidies, abusive family situations - I know FULL WELL what people are dealing with and how they struggle to put their lives back on track.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Thats not how it works at my CC. A full load is 12 units (full time) during the semester and 3 units (full time) for summer or winter intersession. You need at least 60 units to transfer. That means you need at least 15 year per semester. I would have graduated in 2 years but I decided to take 30 extra units for an AA degree. Worth it though, since I got a full time job in the field before I graduated.
At our college, 16 credits is full time (12 credits suffices for financial aid - go figure). Summer semester - 9 credits.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If you are taking courses at a community college with the intent of transferring to a four year institution, forget about an AA degree.

You should only be taking courses that are directly transferable and fulfill a requirement at the university you plan to attend.

Many courses required for an AA degree in a specific subject only satisfy a requirement for that AA degree and are not transferable.
I think you mean the AAS - Associate of Applied Science degree - and even then, it depends ultimately on what courses the senior institution will accept for the degree a transfer student seeks.

"You should only be taking courses that are directly transferable and fulfill a requirement at the university you plan to attend." Absolutely true!

Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 PM

259 posts, read 789,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
With all due respect, if this is an underhanded slam of people who choose to attend community college prior to applying to, or attending, a senior institution, it is in poor taste. If, by chance, you truly are unable to write or express yourself, I would suggest you take advantage of the many developmental courses available to enhance your efforts to be successful in your studies. Many good wishes to you, if this be the case.

Now, that was RUDE! How dare you? I know my english isn't very good but it is after all my secound language. I didn't speak any english at all as a kid so give me a break.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 PM

259 posts, read 789,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I attend Northern Virginia Community College in Alexandria, VA.

It is great to hear that 3 yrs at a CC wont make me odd. I just felt a little discouraged b/c seeing most of my fellow comm college buddies already at 4-yr institutions and me 1 yr away. But thanks for helping me feel better.

You are wellcome, I think it is really cool what you are doing. You are a hard worker and will go long ways. Good luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities