Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 07:37 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times

Advertisements

"Your daughter should have a definite career goal before deciding. If she want to be an accountant, doctor or social worker, her college choice needs to be the best for her career. If she doesn't know her future career, then she needs to have career testing - most community college do this."

Nostalgia coming here: I feel so fortunate that I attended college before it became a trade school. When I was graduated from high school, I had no career plans but loved math and the sciences so I majored in that. Picked up a math and physics teaching license and credentials along the way because mom said it was a good fall back for women. (this was a long time ago. ).

The school granted BA degrees only - no BS - so I was required to take humanities, social sciences, art, and music courses. I received a wonderful, well rounded education for which I am extremely grateful.

I consider it unfortunate that colleges have devolved into job training schools, rather than continuing the pursuit of knowledge and the training of minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 07:43 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
"Your daughter should have a definite career goal before deciding. If she want to be an accountant, doctor or social worker, her college choice needs to be the best for her career. If she doesn't know her future career, then she needs to have career testing - most community college do this."

Nostalgia coming here: I feel so fortunate that I attended college before it became a trade school. When I was graduated from high school, I had no career plans but loved math and the sciences so I majored in that. Picked up a math and physics teaching license and credentials along the way because mom said it was a good fall back for women. (this was a long time ago. ).

The school granted BA degrees only - no BS - so I was required to take humanities, social sciences, art, and music courses. I received a wonderful, well rounded education for which I am extremely grateful.

I consider it unfortunate that colleges have devolved into job training schools, rather than continuing the pursuit of knowledge and the training of minds.
Colleges haven't. There's just some very vocal people that wish that way because they don't understand the difference between getting an education and getting a piece of paper.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:43 AM

837 posts, read 506,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Totally agree that social life matters a LOT in the away from home college experience. Pick the school with the better Greek system.
Agree social life matters, but strong disagree that a Greek system is a requirement for this.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:29 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

All liberal arts college still require a broad range of courses. This hasn't changed. Everyone still gets wonderful, well rounded education at a better than decent college.

In 1940 America, 6% of people graduated college, 7% had some college, 22% graduated high school and 64% of people did not have a high school degree. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tes-in-the-us/

Back then, a college degree meant a certain level of social class and intelligence. One's exact major didn't matter, well - except for doctors - it was only a sign someone was trainable and "educated" (in the fullest meaning of the word). Companies hired the few college graduates available for management. positions.

After World War II and the GI Bill
Quote:
Within its first seven years of use, about 8 million veterans took advantage. U.S. college and university degree-holders more than doubled between 1940 and 1950.

Within 50 years, the number of Americans with advanced degrees rose nearly 20 percent.

By July 1956, when the bill initially expired, almost half of the 16 million World War II vets had gotten education or training through the GI Bill.
https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Feat...tive-its-been/

There are other factors like student loan industry. It also fueled the increase in college graduates.

Now, unfortunately, the US is flooded with college graduates. There aren't enough high paying positions. Before computers, women could get an administrative assistant position out of college, try an industry (banking, insurance, etc) and work her way up. With computers, those positions are far and few between. As a result, college graduates need to be more focused on their careers.

A well rounded education should be a student's goal. It's not the only goal. There is a lot of competition there.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:38 PM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
To me a lot of this depends on if you want to have a peer group(s) in a big school or do you want to go to a small school where you know or are familiar with most of your classmates.

There are advantages in either situation. At the big school you might have several "peer" groups based on a number of things. At a big school no matter what you are into it is likely that there is somebody there doing that (those) things. Moreover, you might be exposed to new things that might not exist at a smaller school. Things you didn't even know about.
Just more clubs and activities and the like compared to the smaller school.

For instance in the 1970s I started at a small school that had all the typical small school things. Then I transferred to the state university. At the state University they had a bicycle racing team. In the 1970s people didn't know that road bicycle racing was even a thing. I didn't

I saw those guys around and decided to join. Over 40 years later riding bicycles is still something I do. 60 miles this morning as a matter of fact.

Had I stayed at the small school I would have never have been exposed to cycling... in college anyway.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:52 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,528,353 times
My school was about 3500 in a small town. At the time the social scene revolved around fraternities and sororities. If this is something your daughter is interested I doubt she would have a much different experience at a larger school compared with a smaller school. Certainly, a larger state school will have more options besides fraternity parties. And even small school have other options. But, you really have to take advantage of them.

Socially speaking I think the best "social life" are at urban schools that actually have a decent campus. That way you have city activities and campus activities.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:50 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
To me a lot of this depends on if you want to have a peer group(s) in a big school or do you want to go to a small school where you know or are familiar with most of your classmates.

There are advantages in either situation. At the big school you might have several "peer" groups based on a number of things. At a big school no matter what you are into it is likely that there is somebody there doing that (those) things. Moreover, you might be exposed to new things that might not exist at a smaller school. Things you didn't even know about.
Just more clubs and activities and the like compared to the smaller school.

For instance in the 1970s I started at a small school that had all the typical small school things. Then I transferred to the state university. At the state University they had a bicycle racing team. In the 1970s people didn't know that road bicycle racing was even a thing. I didn't

I saw those guys around and decided to join. Over 40 years later riding bicycles is still something I do. 60 miles this morning as a matter of fact.

Had I stayed at the small school I would have never have been exposed to cycling... in college anyway.
The 70's were when the only bikes available at bike stores were racing bikes. It was hard to miss the fact that road racing was a thing for some people. Somehow, that managed to influence the entire bike industry. Suddenly, everyone had to have 10-speed bikes, whether they raced or not, and some had 15-speed bikes.

I agree wholeheartedly with the fact, that state schools offer a lot more choices in activities and courses, and fields to major in. A student could miss their true calling, if they went to a small school for 4 years. Even if you go to a CC for 2 years, then transfer to a state school, you'll have missed the opportunity in those first 2 years to dabble in a wider variety of fields. By the time you transfer, you're already supposed to be ready to declare a major, if you didn't in order to gain entry.

State schools may have living options small schools don't have, as well, like foreign language dorms and other special-interest-themed dorms. Giving students the option to cluster together with peers sharing academic interests can make a big difference in one's social life.

Old 05-25-2021, 01:04 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,147 times
Having an extended well-connect social network is very important. Most top jobs aren't given to people simply for their accomplishments, knowing the right people places you right on the top of the pile and will get you more than just a casual glance.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:32 PM

4,961 posts, read 2,708,747 times
I went to a college where in order to have a social life, you had to be a heavy drinker. ALL social activities involved liquor, and nothing but liquor with everything else being secondary.

Even formal student activities involved liquor. I was a Geography major and decided to join the Geography Club. Our meetings were always at a bar where several of our professors also attended. Everyone drank liquor as we carried on discussions. In addition to that, the bar played loud music and it was very difficult to hear each other speak. We had to get in each other's face and scream at each other in order to be heard. I suggested that we conduct our meetings in a classroom or the Student Union, and everyone agreed that it would be a good idea but it was never acted on. After a few meetings I dropped out.

I developed a sense that college is for studying, learning, earning a degree and launching a career rather than partying, getting drunk and developing "contacts" who cannot help your career since they are in the same boat as you.

This was at a large university by the way, with about 50,000 students when I attended.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,277 times
If your daughter is ready for college, she's mature enough to figure this out for herself.

College atmosphere is more than just student body size, just as one's personality is more complex than just 'very social'. Likewise, college is more than just partying. It's an extremely expensive cover charge if that's all you're looking for. And interest in a topic isn't the same as aptitude. And aptitude isn't the same as a career opportunity or a decent living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities