Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 08:03 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post

My husband and I are just hoping that our kids want to do something productive and make something of their lives.
Man ... I wish employers who gave out jobs thought like you...

Good luck to your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 08:16 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,954,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I don't have to look up anything to know that male dentists do not have an 8% suicide rate. That's absurd and fake news.
You are probably right, but google comes up with
"Male dentists hold the highest suicide rate at 8.02 percent." Seems like they don't do a math check. Further research seems to indicate there are no accurate data or statistics for dentist suicides. On the other hand there are lots of articles pointing out the mental challenges of dentistry including isolation, perfectionism, economic difficulties, etc.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:23 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,954,329 times
Why would you really want your kid to make money or ascend the corporate ladder? There's very few jobs at the top and most won't get there. It's a success pyramid with the vast majority in the lower ranks. So most who want that are destined to fail and be resentful of those who succeed. And no matter how high you climb there's always those higher than you. It's a dead end for 99%. Only a handful of people get there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Making money is more about having personal skills and properly aligned ambition and motivation.

At my company, there's a guy who is in a VP role. He basically rose to that role by positioning himself and putting all his effort into 'ascending that ladder.'

School is a very small part of that equation. And just about every 'corporate' industry has a similar path.

He actually does do some work, unlike some of the other execs, but never more than 40 hours. A lot of his work is telling other people they have to work harder...

Compare that with my sister, who has an Ivy League degree, MD from a great school and residency and a great hospital. She works near 60 hours just about every week and it's highly stressful work.

She probably makes a little more than he does, but not much. It's very close.

Also, if anybody grew up in an upper middle class area, they know that many people who grew up in that environment, no matter how good they did in school and/or what they went to school for and majored in ... end up as like Director, or VP, or Executive VP of this and that corporate job...

If you really want your kid to make money, then teach them how to align their motivations and ambitions to match the requirements for ascending the corporate ladder.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
"Male dentists hold the highest suicide rate at 8.02 percent." Seems like they don't do a math check. Further research seems to indicate there are no accurate data or statistics for dentist suicides. On the other hand there are lots of articles pointing out the mental challenges of dentistry including isolation, perfectionism, economic difficulties, etc.
I don't think there's any real reliable data on that subject, but I would say ... doctor and dentist make sense.

Mostly because they can feel trapped in their profession.

I may feel trapped in my job, but at the end of the day, if I end up working at Home Depot or Pet Smart, I can accept that and I sure don't care what anybody else thinks.

Somebody who is a doctor or dentist likely cannot take that step down. Add to that the amount of time and money they've spent on education, and it's easy to feel trapped.

Consider if you really want to spend 25-30 years doing that.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Why would you really want your kid to make money or ascend the corporate ladder? There's very few jobs at the top and most won't get there. It's a success pyramid with the vast majority in the lower ranks. So most who want that are destined to fail and be resentful of those who succeed. And no matter how high you climb there's always those higher than you. It's a dead end for 99%. Only a handful of people get there.
Not true.

There's tons of corporate executive jobs at small and mid-sized companies that pull in good salaries. Not to mention regional executive positions for larger companies.

I look at the people I grew up with and a ton of them are corporate executives here, there, and everywhere.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:40 PM

2,068 posts, read 997,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Most people I know with a business degree say not to get a business degree.

If you're not going to be an engineer it would probably be wise not to go to school for that.

My father-in-law suggested I go to business school as an undergrad.

That was the best advice I received in my life.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:41 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
I'm not sure what your definition of "good money" is nor what you consider "a nice area" but you should understand that most people who work in any profession are not making "big bucks" for the combination of field/location/employer whether they're MDs or lawyers or engineers or computer scientists or even executives. "Good money" in NYC or the Bay Area or Boston differs from "good money" in Denver or Cleveland or Phoenix. A teacher in the NYC public schools probably makes more than a computer programmer working for a small tech firm in Nashville or Colorado Springs. Both probably can afford to live in "a nice area" for their location though.
The United States is a highly socioeconomically stratified society. Every major city or metro area in this country is divided up into wealthy/ upper-middle class/ lower-middle class/ working class/ borderline ghettoish areas if not outright war zones. I would go so far as to say that anybody who has been living long enough in a major city or metro area knows exactly where all of these are located.

Which of these areas you can afford to live in is going to be highly dependent on what your income is, especially your total household income.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:52 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean to imply you were making that number up...........only that the source had to be wrong.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:56 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times
Have you seen this poster's other threads in the non-romantic relationship forum? Have you noticed the OP hasn't come back here to post?

You should check out the baggage this individual is carrying around regarding family, wealth, prestige and all sorts of nuttiness.

This is not about being proud of your kiddo. This is... something else....

Old 07-29-2021, 03:09 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,217,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
My father-in-law suggested I go to business school as an undergrad.

That was the best advice I received in my life.
That's great I'm glad things worked out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities