Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 11:35 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,231 times

Advertisements

Having been in academics in a quality liberal arts college in the South, the administration constantly wanted to expand our student body to the rest of the country. We went through idiocy of having our logos and stationary not mention our southern city. We wanted or still want to break into US News' topic 25.

However, being from the North and lived in the PNW, I know the attitudes towards the South are generally negative for real social reasons.

I wonder if the idiocy of folks like Abbott and DeSantis will impact the universities and liberal arts colleges trying to increase their national standing. I would be very hesitant to send my kid to a school in TX now, if I wasn't already embedded in the area. Nor as a grad student would a TX program be a high priority, unless again a local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 12:31 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Having been in academics in a quality liberal arts college in the South, the administration constantly wanted to expand our student body to the rest of the country. We went through idiocy of having our logos and stationary not mention our southern city. We wanted or still want to break into US News' topic 25.

However, being from the North and lived in the PNW, I know the attitudes towards the South are generally negative for real social reasons.

I wonder if the idiocy of folks like Abbott and DeSantis will impact the universities and liberal arts colleges trying to increase their national standing. I would be very hesitant to send my kid to a school in TX now, if I wasn't already embedded in the area. Nor as a grad student would a TX program be a high priority, unless again a local.
I moved from NY to Virginia six months ago. Before NYC, I lived in Boston.

I have never had a negative attitude toward the south. I have no social concerns about the south. I would glad send my kids to a Texas college/university. And, I love Chick Fil A. Best fast food ever - awesome fruit cups and salads.

I wouldn't send my kids to Obama's 60th birthday bash with no vaccine requirement or masks. I'll draw the line there.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:39 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:

"Real social reasons"?

Social reasons like racial diversity? Dallas and Houston in particular are exceptionally diverse big cities. A friend and his family moved from Portland to DFW a while back. He jokes that his family of four moving out cut the black population of Portland in half.

ETA - Also, "covid denial?" Sure we have our share of knuckleheads but our fully vaccination rates are not terrible, I believe Texas is just above the national average. It's not like 20% are vaccinated and the rest waiting it out in bunkers.

Last edited by EDS_; 08-10-2021 at 01:01 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 05:29 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
You mean stationEry.

Hey everyone not in the top 25 wants to be there. And those in the top 25 want to be in the top 10. Money helps, because money lets you buy stars- both students and faculty.

As far as Covid is concerned- right NOW few educated students and parents will want to go to a place that doesn't require vaccines. But this is temporary and will be forgotten in a few years. Going forward- what better place than the south to read all of F. Scott Fitzgeralds' books?

Old 08-10-2021, 05:41 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:

I wish more people DIDN'T want to come here. We never felt the housing crunch in 2008. Cities around here just kept growing right through it. Even now, with all the COVID, the demand is through the roof. Seems like most people don't share your view.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:11 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Many of them are waiting for full FDA approval of the vaccine next month. Employers and schools then have few legal restrictions against requiring vaccination.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:24 AM

That's true but I was thinking of a general area effect. Given enrollments are so tight, even small effects mean real money for schools. It's impacting schools as foreign recruitment is shrinking.

Foreign students are citing safety concerns such as gun violence. Add that to covid denial and you could lose the 10 kids needed for your budget at full tuition.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:42 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
That's true but I was thinking of a general area effect. Given enrollments are so tight, even small effects mean real money for schools. It's impacting schools as foreign recruitment is shrinking.

Foreign students are citing safety concerns such as gun violence. Add that to covid denial and you could lose the 10 kids needed for your budget at full tuition.
Gun violence?

Quote:
Aug. 1, 1966: University of Texas massacre: University of Texas-Austin.

Nov. 1, 1991: University of Iowa shooting.

April 16, 2007: Virginia Tech shooting.

Feb. 14, 2008: Northern Illinois University shooting.

April 2, 2012: Oikos University shooting, a Korean Christian college in Oakland, Calif.

June 7, 2013: Santa Monica College Calif. shooting

Oct. 1, 2015: Umpqua Community College in Oregon:
https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...kx0on6k8QiycN/

If you scan wikipedia's list of school shooting - high school and college, it's pretty much across the country. Definitely not a southern only problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

The problem with the high numbers of covid cases in the South is the illegal immigrants coming across the border and not "backwards" Southerns.

The US and the EU have exactly the same vaccination rates https://fortune.com/2021/06/30/covid...es-by-country/

Old 08-12-2021, 10:12 AM

Gun violence in general is seen as a recruitment problem. However, areas like TX might have more of a negative animus, be it mythological or real. I recall talking to a Canadian professor coming to TX who was horrified to find you could get a gun permit. Left pretty soon.

It is an empirical question of whether the negative impact of governors like Abbott or DeSantis will impact recruitment. I just suggest it. Colleges with shrinking local demographics try to recruit outside their normal range. If that is impacted, we will see.

I certainly wouldn't take a faculty job in a state with an idiot governor unless I was against the wall.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:26 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
It is a lie that immigrants are responsible for the COVID surge in southern states, full stop.

We have homes in both Texas and WA State with a child starting college in two weeks. In Maine. Aside from UT-Austin (which we insisted DC apply to, and where DC was accepted), DC was uninterested in applying to Rice, the only other southern college we recommended. Great school, but Texas.

We absolutely considered pandemic-related public health directives and population characteristics in choosing a school.

Here is the direct result of catastrophically failed ideological leadership and prideful ignorance:

Only 27 ICU beds available for 6.6 million people in Greater Houston Area; state says total of 329 in Texas
https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...dPQurM9oP5S04I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities