Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:00 PM

130 posts, read 130,449 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know there is no such thing as free college. Because if they eliminated tuition and fees the money would have to come out of higher taxes, or spending cuts in other areas.

But if there were no tuition or fees in college how would that impact the classroom experience?

Worse because the colleges would be flooded with students whose heart was not really in it but decided to go because they would not have any direct cost.

Better because it would open college to a whole new group of people who would make it more diverse and interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 01:07 PM

393 posts, read 409,039 times
Think of a watered down, multi diverse public school, inner Detroit, get the idea.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:17 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I wish instead of talking about "free college" they would offer more post college incentives like they do for teachers who will teach at certain school for 5 years will get their debt forgiven. Handing out free things is never good but making it so difficult that people pay student loan for 20 years is not good either. There should be an easy way for people to pay it off

Old 02-22-2016, 02:37 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Bernie Sanders idea of "free" college for qualified students is not a new idea.

First of all, it won't be "free". The tuition will be at no cost to the student. The room and board, or transportation, books etc. Will not be "free".

Who will pay for it? Wall St.

Remember bailing them out a few years back? It's time for them to put up and pay back. Unless your name is "Goldman Sachs" - you have nothing to worry about.

QUALIFIED students who have the academic capacity to attend a state or municipal college will have their tuition paid for by taxes on Wall St.
When they graduate, they will not be tainted by a mound of debt.

They may have some debt, for room, board or transportation - if they commute to college - but nothing like it is now.

People are saying that "most of college is not tuition". Bull.

And, there are ways for smart parents and students to lower the cost of a residential college.

My son is an RA - Residential Adviser. His room and board are free. My daughter will do the same next year.

College work study will still be available. As will loans. But at a lower interest rate.

Why should I help out Wall St? We already have. Let's help out deserving American kids.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:45 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I actually think classes would be *more* competitive. We wouldn't be automatically filtering out potentially superstar students because of cost. It would particularly impact first generation students who do not benefit from parents who understand the college application process and do not have one on one time with a college counselor in their schools to advise on the process and funding.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I actually think classes would be *more* competitive. We wouldn't be automatically filtering out potentially superstar students because of cost. It would particularly impact first generation students who do not benefit from parents who understand the college application process and do not have one on one time with a college counselor in their schools to advise on the process and funding.

That is how it was in NYC and other city colleges. Only students who were very academically prepared and motivated, were accepted.

Then, they started charging an enormous tuition price (relative to it having public status) and letting anyone in.

The status declined, and so did the quality of the applicants.

There are many deserving first generation students who have no idea how to apply to college. Many have parents who want them to live at home and attend schools that are local.
This proposal is perfect for these students.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:08 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
Yes, I know there is no such thing as free college. Because if they eliminated tuition and fees the money would have to come out of higher taxes, or spending cuts in other areas.

But if there were no tuition or fees in college how would that impact the classroom experience?

Worse because the colleges would be flooded with students whose heart was not really in it but decided to go because they would not have any direct cost.

Better because it would open college to a whole new group of people who would make it more diverse and interesting.

Way worse. I used to teach some classes for free, just to make them available to anyone who wanted them. There was no college credit - they were test prep courses - but I have taught them in a college and they were college quality. The first thing that happened was that tons of people signed up. Way more than normal, of course. The second thing was that about 10% of them showed up. Maybe not even that. No cancellation either, even though they knew there was a waiting list and they were taking someone's space. Then of those who showed up, probably a third left after about 30 minutes. Of those who stuck around, maybe one or two actually participated and seemed interested. I had similar issues with some adult ed or continuing ed courses I taught at very low prices, even ones that were "fun" classes.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:10 PM

130 posts, read 130,449 times
I think the plan was to make Community Colleges free which allow everyone to attend just as long as they graduated from High School.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:15 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
If you want the answer, then look at for-profit colleges. When colleges are free, have to depend on government funding, and, therefore, have limited slots, then they have to be more selective. European countries with free colleges have lower college attendance rates than the U.S. When colleges accept anyone who can pay (or take out a loan), they will water down their material in order to attract and keep more students. I believe that most of the most selective colleges in the U.S. are the ones that are most likely to hand out full-ride scholarships.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If you want the answer, then look at for-profit colleges. When colleges are free, have to depend on government funding, and, therefore, have limited slots, then they have to be more selective. European countries with free colleges have lower college attendance rates than the U.S. When colleges accept anyone who can pay (or take out a loan), they will water down their material in order to attract and keep more students. I believe that most of the most selective colleges in the U.S. are the ones that are most likely to hand out full-ride scholarships.

Are you serious? Are you aware that for profit colleges take money from the government in the form of federal grants and loans.

Anyone can get into a "for profit college". However, last I checked, less than 20% of people graduate from The University of Phoenix.

That is a waste of tax payers money. They should be shut down. They scam the most vulnerable of students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities