Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2022, 09:07 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know what happens when a person who attended college 30+ years ago but did not graduate and dropped out with a low GPA (largely due to partying, youthful indiscretion)...can they start over again in community college? How much will their long ago transcript haunt them? Will they have to take placement tests at the CC or will the freshman level courses that they passed 30 some years ago at their 4 year university be enough to deem them "college ready"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 09:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Question: would said person be returning to the college they studied at before, to pick up where they left off, basically? If so, they'll probably get credit for the courses they already completed.

However, in 30 years, the requirements for a BA and for gen-ed courses may have changed slightly. Academic standards do change. So, for example, back then, universities didn't have a "diversity requirement" in the gen-ed requirements, but the college in question may have added something in that vein. There may not have been a foreign language requirement before, but there may be now, or visa-versa. Math probably wasn't required back then, but most colleges have added that to the gen-ed requirements.

The best thing to do would be to request a copy of the old transcript, and then contact the admissions office about getting an evaluation of the transcript and guidance on whether it's necessary to go back to the CC level to do make-up work, or if it can be done at their college.

Interesting question. Let us know when you get some official answers.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-12-2022 at 10:06 PM..

Old 04-12-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Question: would said person be returning to the college they studied at before, to pick up where they left off, basically? If so, they'll probably get credit for the courses they already completed.

However, in 30 years, the requirements for a BA and for gen-ed courses may have changed slightly. Academic standards do change. So, for example, back then, universities didn't have a "diversity requirement" in the gen-ed requirements, but the college in question may have added something in that vein. There may not have been a foreign language requirement before, but there may be now, or visa-versa. Math probably wasn't required back then, but most colleges have added that to the gen-ed requirements.

The best thing to do would be to request a copy of the old transcript, and then contact the admissions office about getting an evaluation of the transcript and guidance on whether it's necessary to go back to the CC level to do make-up work, or if it can be done at their college.

Interesting question. Let us know when you get some official answers.
Thanks for helping me to ponder this. I've already got copies of the official college transcripts from the university I attended, as well as, the community college I attended - both 30 some years ago.

I would be applying to an entirely different community college. I would need to have official transcripts sent directly to that college if I apply but at least the copies that I have on hand now would be helpful in my discussion with admissions.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Go for it... BTDT when I had to take a 32 yr furlough to do eldercare. Came back and finished 3 of my 5 degrees AFTER age 50.

I got credits for classes previously taken (which met the requirements of current program).
College was a breeze in phase II (tho I was still worked FT and much of the time internationally. for a 20+ hr commute each direction. Plenty of time to read, write, sleep on an 18 hr direct flight.

I and 2 of my home (un) schooled kids all graduated college the same yr from different U's. We each wore the Gold Ropes (Magna)
My kids made sure I didn't mess up the family GPA! (payback for my mentoring during their un schooling.) They got an early headstart of FREE college at age 16, compliments of WA State 'College instead of HS' program since 1992. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

Going back at age 50 was like 'partying'
School is such a piece of cake compared to REAL life!.
  • You're usually not milking cows at 4:30AM and 4:30PM (except at Dairy Farm Boarding School) BTDT
  • Managing $10m budgets
  • Meeting very demanding (and expensive) deliverables.
  • No life or death decisions and performance measures, as there are in many professions.
  • Feeding, diapering the kids.
  • Making payroll for your 'slacker' employees (While your family is going without meals)
  • Dealing with liability lawsuits from your truckdriver employees running over cars.
  • Fixing machinery that your employees destroy (daily).
  • Meeting with your banker to get your operating line of credit increased.
  • being a soldier with a bunch of people trying to kill you, or others to backstab you.
  • Not having to be prepared to kill someone at anytime. (as your job).
  • Going to school is a LOT easier than looking for and starting a new job.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-13-2022 at 12:00 AM..

Old 04-12-2022, 11:34 PM

It's amazing that you were able to finish 3 of your college degrees after the age of 50. Well done StealthRabbit! You give me hope that I can do this.

It's always bugged me that I never completed my college degree and I'm 56 now, so not exactly a whippersnapper. Too bad my college transcripts are such a hot mess. It'll be interesting to see what admissions has to say.

Old 04-13-2022, 04:58 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
No one at the new CC is going to care about your old grades, so they are not going to haunt you. As a new student, you may need to take placement tests, and your old credits may be too old to transfer. Go for it. You are never too old to learn.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Just do it. Make an appointment with the CC you are considering enrolling in and find out how many credits they will give you (free money at this point). Some institutions may even give you credit for your life skills and allow you to skip certain lower level classes.

You don't NEED to return to the same school to get credit and it might be worthwhile to talk to more than one school, if that is a possibility for you. Some schools are more generous than others with past credits.

Also, look into taking tests called CLEP if your school accepts them, most do. You take a test and if you pass it you can skip taking that class and don't have to pay for it. Most colleges accept CLEP tests for some programs. I tested out of about a years worth of college which saved me money and time and my Florida state university accepted all my CLEP tests. I only took CLEP tests I knew I could pass because I had so little money back then I could not afford to waste even that amount. I graduated with a BA in under 2 years.

CLEP tests are given year-round nationwide
https://clep.collegeboard.org/

Old 04-13-2022, 08:46 AM

In taking some of the math placement practice tests I can see that I have some refreshing to do, not that math was my thing even back in the day. On a positive note, I helped both of my kids with their math homework throughout their elementary and middle school years through Prealgebra and into Algebra 1 so I have a fairly recent foundation to build upon. I need to look into self study programs like Kahn Academy.

The reading and writing portions seem to be up to speed and I feel ready to take those entrance exams now, assuming that they'll be needed. I'll call and schedule an appointment with admissions. Wish me luck.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:24 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm curious to know what happens when a person who attended college 30+ years ago but did not graduate and dropped out with a low GPA (largely due to partying, youthful indiscretion)...can they start over again in community college? How much will their long ago transcript haunt them? Will they have to take placement tests at the CC or will the freshman level courses that they passed 30 some years ago at their 4 year university be enough to deem them "college ready"?
How many credits do you have? What is your GPA? I have worked with many people who decide to complete a long forgotten bachelor's degree after 20, 30 and 40 years. There have always been FEWER problems than anticipated.

Most colleges understand the situation that you describe. Not all, but most. You will be surprised at how many credits colleges DO accept.

Science classes do not transfer after a certain number of years, because science changes. If you took a class in US Government, Intro to Psychology, Economics, English lit or statistics, it WILL most likely transfer.

The good thing to know, is your average will NOT transfer with you. When you are accepted all classes you took with a "c" or better, will transfer - but the grades will not.

Please feel free to send me a DM if you have any questions.

P.S. I would never transfer to a community college from a four year college. Most 4 year colleges do NOT administer placement tests to students who are not seeking undergraduate degrees in subjects such as Engineering or Nursing.

Policies vary from university to university, but community colleges - because they accept everyone, are known to be the most stringent.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Yes, you can do it.

I would shop around and see which college would accept the most credits ... if your plan is to graduate.

You can probably even find programs that are completely online and see how many credits they accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities