Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 07:37 AM

52 posts, read 223,194 times

Advertisements

My sister is looking to go to school and get this degree. It's an Occupational Associates Degree as an X-Ray Technician. She told me the program is 15 months long plus an 8 week internship and costs roughly $17k. She's a single mom, with two kids in elementary school, with no college degree and was recently laid off, so she's been looking for work but there's not much out there.

I'm a big supporter of her getting an advanced degree to secure a good job to provide for her family. But I'm just unsure if this is a legit degree and worth the $17k.

Anyone have experience with Heritage Education and/or X-Ray tech degrees?

Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 04:48 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,160,659 times
I don't know about this program, but I do know of others. The one's here in AZ are 2 years long and cost about $22k nowadays. It was $18k 12 years ago when I was enrolled. If the school is legit and leads to becoming a registered x-ray tech, tell her to DO IT! I regret not finishing sometimes. The pay is HIGH for a 2 year degree ($40-60k+) to start.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 AM

Thanks! I'll let her know what you said.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:31 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,160,659 times
Oh yeah, make sure it's NOT a "Limited X-Ray" program. That very well may be the case with the program your friend is looking at due to the length. That will not lead to very much and is very limited in it's scope. MUCH less pay, too. It MUST be a Full x-ray program that leads to becoming an RT (Registered Tech). I knew a few in my program that got fooled into that and had to do the full program afterwards at our school. Not good.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbags View Post
My sister is looking to go to school and get this degree. It's an Occupational Associates Degree as an X-Ray Technician. She told me the program is 15 months long plus an 8 week internship and costs roughly $17k. She's a single mom, with two kids in elementary school, with no college degree and was recently laid off, so she's been looking for work but there's not much out there.

I'm a big supporter of her getting an advanced degree to secure a good job to provide for her family. But I'm just unsure if this is a legit degree and worth the $17k.

Anyone have experience with Heritage Education and/or X-Ray tech degrees?

Thanks for any insight!
Tell your sister to STAY AWAY from that program!!!!! X-Ray Tech School Training X-Ray Medical Technicians in Denver, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Ft Myers, Manassas, & Falls Church That is a limited scope program and will not allow her to become a fully accredited Rad Tech. That is also an extraordinary amount of money for that type of program. To become an American Registry of Radiologic Technologists Registered Technologist (ARRT Home Page) all candidates must sit for, and complete, a national registry. The candidate must be a graduate from an accredited School of Radiography to be able to sit for the registry. To check to see if a school is accredited, click here: Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology Accredited Programs Search (http://www.jrcert.org/cert/Search.jsp - broken link)

I am not sure where your sister is located but I know of a hospital based School of Radiography (all accredited programs are approximately 24 months long) that costs $5000 total plus $750 for books. The registry pass rate is 100% for a rolling five years with a 100% placement. Candidates start out in this area around $18-$20/hour with benefits. Associates degrees are nice, but generally do not earn the Rad Tech anymore money per hour. Arm your sister with that information for when she shops for a program.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the response Smkymtgal!

That was my concern and I'm hoping she listens but you know how siblings can be.

She's in Ft. Myers, FL.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,570 times
cbags did your sister ever take the program? I am thinking of going

Old 06-30-2014, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
Default Did she take it?

I am thinking of taking the course, did she?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities