Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:13 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Like what?
NOAA and other science positions, the military, NASA. Maybe it is just a federal government thing and not local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Many private businesses give annual raises, which, while supposedly "merit" raises, are often longevity raises. And why not? A person who has been working at a company longer usually is more productive (to a point, that is).

Old 06-28-2008, 02:37 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
NOAA and other science positions, the military, NASA. Maybe it is just a federal government thing and not local.
Positions that require advanced degrees generally work different whether in the federal or state government. Although even here they aren't managed as well as private companies. But regardless, most the government workers we encounter each day are state/local so in a sense it is more of a local thing.

Quote:
Many private businesses give annual raises, which, while supposedly "merit" raises, are often longevity raises. And why not?
"longevity raises" in the business world are typical just inflation. Its one of those neat things where you can give someone a 3% raise and make him feel good where in real terms their pay just stayed the same. It is only raises beyond inflation that matter and these are usually performance related.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:

"longevity raises" in the business world are typical just inflation. Its one of those neat things where you can give someone a 3% raise and make him feel good where in real terms their pay just stayed the same. It is only raises beyond inflation that matter and these are usually performance related.
These "merit raises" are extreeeemley subjective.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:01 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
My sister sent me that article... it was funny, especially since my major (English Lit) and minor (Film) were on there - hence my reason for continuing on to graduate school.

However, they completely missed the boat on one major, Music Therapy. I actually started as a Music Therapy major at UOP, and it's nothing like what the author assumed. You don't play music for people, particularly not recorded/DJ tracks... rather, they use the teaching of music as a tool, since it's very therapeutic for people with disabilities (mental, intellectual AND physical). It's actually a successful field within social work, and has a pretty high demand for people with the degree. Oh well, it's a funny blog regardless!

Old 06-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
These "merit raises" are extreeeemley subjective.
There are office politics involved, but I wouldn't say they are "subjective". Its not hard to know when one guy is a bigger worker than the others. But often "merit raises" are past off as a change in title. But there is also the issue of firing people. I would imagine if the current public school teachers started to work for Intel today 50%+ would be fired within months.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
There are office politics involved, but I wouldn't say they are "subjective". Its not hard to know when one guy is a bigger worker than the others. But often "merit raises" are past off as a change in title. But there is also the issue of firing people. I would imagine if the current public school teachers started to work for Intel today 50%+ would be fired within months.
I worked in some places where merit raises were handled very politically. I have discussed this issue with many people who feel as I do that it's subjective. "Rank this person from 1-5 on the following, etc". Depends on who is doing the ranking. I've also done evals. They can be manipulated to give the person whatever raise the admin wants to give.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I worked in some places where merit raises were handled very politically
What sort of places? I'm not claiming that every business does things right, but the businesses that do stupid things like give people merit raises where there is no real merit tend not to last long. Of course there are some industries that are a bit protected against market forces (ahem health care) and they get away with more inefficiencies than more competitive industry. From what I understand you are in such an industry no?

Old 06-28-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
What sort of places? I'm not claiming that every business does things right, but the businesses that do stupid things like give people merit raises where there is no real merit tend not to last long. Of course there are some industries that are a bit protected against market forces (ahem health care) and they get away with more inefficiencies than more competitive industry. From what I understand you are in such an industry no?
Health departments and hospitals. But G**D***, we are not inefficient. We work our tails off. I don not have time to post on City-Data when I am at work like a lot of people seem to. DH and another friend who we have talked to about this work in IT, one of them for a Avaya, AKA Lucent, AKA Western Electric. Both say it's subjective there, too. Sorry, I don't buy your line that industry is more competitive. Anyone can choose to go to a different doctor.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
But G**D***, we are not inefficient. We work our tails off.
Composition fallacy. I'm not talking about individuals I'm talking about companies, every single employee can be "working their tail off" yet the company as a whole can be rather inefficient.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't buy your line that industry is more competitive. Anyone can choose to go to a different doctor.
Anyone can choose a different doctor? Wait you mean a different doctor in the same network right? Don't like that network? Oh wait...can't change because your work only offers XYZ insurance. Oh...maybe you can get a private insurance policy? Oh wait...its no longer tax deductible even if your company is willing to give you the money it would otherwise spend on health insurance. Yes, clearly people have the same sort of choices in health care that they do else where....

Quote:
Both say it's subjective there, too.
Where they involved in the decisions? Its rather easy for someone to say "Jim got a raise because he is kissing butt" to justify to himself why they didn't get one. So unless they were involved in the decisions their view on the matter is going to be highly biased. But also, not all businesses work perfectly. If the business environment is highly competitive then there is less room for error but if a company has a de facto monopoly then it can get away with much more inefficiencies(of course it will sacrifice profit, but its not going to get driven out of business by a competitor).

Now private schooling would be pretty competitive. There isn't a huge cost of entry into the market a few million will get you up and running and it would be hard (due to the low cost of entry) for de facto monopolies to develop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities