Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:13 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,450,598 times

Advertisements

Actually I disagree with this list and know several who have majored in a few of them and are doing something with their degrees.

I majored in Anthropology.

My father gave me great advice when I was stressing about what to major in. He said, "Get the degree in whatever, you can specialize in grad school."

That is exactly what I did.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 AM

5 posts, read 17,687 times
Funny blog, but honestly, any degree can be worthless or useful. I personal know a girl that majored in biology and hasn't been able to find work in her field for over a year. She could because a medical technologist, but why pay 35K for a master's degree to make 11 bucks an hour? She had no interest in becoming a nurse, medical assistant, med tech, pharmacist, doctor, and so many other healthcare professions. She finally settled on an admin position at a community college.

I have a four year degree in sociology and I have gotten job offers in human services positions and in positions dealing with finance (I don't have any college education in finance, just work experience). These positions aren't racking in high figures, but at least I'll pay off my student loans in a couple of years and be able to buy a house. I would have stopped at my associate's degree, but the jobs I wanted required a four year degree. At my current Human Services position, I'm doing the same tasks of typing, filing, going over budgets, and so on before I recieved my degrees (been doing this for years). I really don't understand why I needed a four year degree if I already had experience and knowledge in my field. A textbook does provide useful information, but a person still has to have work experience to truly understand what's going on in the organization he/she wants to work for. Being in the class room for the past couple of years had its ups and downs (I really was surprised on how clueless PhDs were about the real world ((O_o)) wow, so many educated fools in college; I'm not saying all were, but a good chuck REALLY made you worry about the future of the youths ....), but it was well worth it for the pay and benefits at my job.

I could have gotten an undergrad degree in finger painting and my employer wouldn't have care since I've filled the requirement of having any type of four year degree. I guess any degree is better than none in today's competitive job market (which is kinda sad since my job only requires common sense in word, excel, and people; college shouldn't be needed for that...).

Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 PM

242 posts, read 786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa00 View Post
Funny blog, but honestly, any degree can be worthless or useful. I personal know a girl that majored in biology and hasn't been able to find work in her field for over a year. She could because a medical technologist, but why pay 35K for a master's degree to make 11 bucks an hour? She had no interest in becoming a nurse, medical assistant, med tech, pharmacist, doctor, and so many other healthcare professions. She finally settled on an admin position at a community college.

I have a four year degree in sociology and I have gotten job offers in human services positions and in positions dealing with finance (I don't have any college education in finance, just work experience). These positions aren't racking in high figures, but at least I'll pay off my student loans in a couple of years and be able to buy a house. I would have stopped at my associate's degree, but the jobs I wanted required a four year degree. At my current Human Services position, I'm doing the same tasks of typing, filing, going over budgets, and so on before I recieved my degrees (been doing this for years). I really don't understand why I needed a four year degree if I already had experience and knowledge in my field. A textbook does provide useful information, but a person still has to have work experience to truly understand what's going on in the organization he/she wants to work for. Being in the class room for the past couple of years had its ups and downs (I really was surprised on how clueless PhDs were about the real world ((O_o)) wow, so many educated fools in college; I'm not saying all were, but a good chuck REALLY made you worry about the future of the youths ....), but it was well worth it for the pay and benefits at my job.

I could have gotten an undergrad degree in finger painting and my employer wouldn't have care since I've filled the requirement of having any type of four year degree. I guess any degree is better than none in today's competitive job market (which is kinda sad since my job only requires common sense in word, excel, and people; college shouldn't be needed for that...).
I think they use the degree sometimes to weed people out because I have seen positions for regular secretaries and they require a bachelors degree. Are you kidding me? I was doing that when I was in highschool in the summer job program..lol.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM

354 posts, read 852,665 times
People I think are starting to wakeup and realize they need to pick a degree that they can make money in. Its a crime that colleges will tell students that a History, Anthropology or Philosophy degree are worth +$50,000 and 4+ years of your life.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 PM

242 posts, read 786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
People I think are starting to wakeup and realize they need to pick a degree that they can make money in. Its a crime that colleges will tell students that a History, Anthropology or Philosophy degree are worth +$50,000 and 4+ years of your life.
I teach jr. high kids at my volunteer program about how to prepare for college and I tell them to make sure they do their research because there are so many students at my college that are on their second bachelors because they cannot find a job in their major or the jobs that are availible do not pay enough.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 PM

354 posts, read 852,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
I teach jr. high kids at my volunteer program about how to prepare for college and I tell them to make sure they do their research because there are so many students at my college that are on their second bachelors because they cannot find a job in their major or the jobs that are availible do not pay enough.
Good for you! I went for something I knew I could get a job in and most of the kids I graduated from High School with didn't. Five years after college me and the other people that went after practical degrees are doing much better then the people that didn't.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:35 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,359,416 times
I love geography but I don't know where I want to go in geography. That's my major but I also love computers (the IT field) and love working on them. I'm thinking of changing it to GIS. Anyone with any advice? IT was my initial major but I find Geography much more interesting to me and I grew up with a strong desireable love for it. I do think about going to get a master's in urban planning. Frustrating.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
It's not the degree so much that is worthless/useless, moreso the person holding it.

I (sorta) jest, but basically, it's true. An ambitious, hardworking, resourceful, creative, savvy, and politic person can put any degree to use fruitfully if they play their cards right.

The best thing anybody can do is take what they love and do what they have to to make it work.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:02 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,546,155 times
I don't think they fully grasped what a music therapist does.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 PM

251 posts, read 765,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown206 View Post
Not sure if this was posted here already or not but its pretty funny.

The 10 Most Worthless College Majors
i think it's a catch 22 situation.

if the choice of study was narrowed down the sciences and nothing else, people would have no choice but to study it. some could do it, but others would not be able to.

likewise, with so many programs to study, there's a chance for anyone to get a degree in practically anything. trouble with that is, many of those programs are not as specific can run into problems trying to find a job with it.

i think it comes to the individual. if they want to study something, then they should study. if it succeeds, great. if not, then at least that person shouldn't have a reason to blame anyone else and learn from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities