U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 PM

9 posts, read 51,375 times
Default Difference in the art institute vs a university or college? AND cont...

I am about to register at The Art Institute of Tampa and I want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Does anyone know: what is the difference between getting a degree in The Art Institute vs a University? Which one is better?

AND does anyone know which school is better: The Art Institute or The International Academy of Design and Technology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 07:47 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,270,151 times
Default What we surmised, based on our own research

Sounds like you might benefit from conducting some research, which can easily be done online. Look at the statistics for the schools you are considering -- whether public, private, four-year, technical, or *whatever.* Compare such things as what constitutes the course-of-study in what you plan to study, and possibly earn a degree. See how closely those courses align with what you, yourself, imagine doing in the workplace.

If such info is not stated, call and ask for job recruitment, job placement, and % of the institution's graduates working in their fields, and at what point they were able to land such jobs -- upon graduation? withing a year? two, five or ten?

Some of this you will need to decide for yourself. As a family, we decided that it was in our own daughter's best interests to study at SCAD in Savannah, and finish her degree there, as opposed to our own State-supported public university, or at other private schools offering similar degrees -- for a number of reasons. First and foremost, she will be in a good position to compete with others, given everything else equal, ie, talent, grades, work ethics, with a degree from a prominent school that specializes in her chosen field.

Sometimes, it matters what school. She will be in a better position to re-pay the loans and costs of her education, and to land a job working in the arts field in which she is interested, and appears to be, talented. It's all, at best, sometimes a gamble, but after careful research and consideration, this looked like the best bet for her.

You need to find your own best bet. Asking others is a good start, but be sure to look at info available on the schools you interested in attending. Good luck with your decision -- just make it an advised, educated one.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:49 PM

2,263 posts, read 3,570,087 times
I don't know which degrees are offered through the Art Institutes, but I do know that one of my best friends attended the Art Institute of Charlotte. He only received an Associates, but his 2 years of school cost just as much or more than my 4 years of undergrad, and he has yet to find a job in his field. Part of this has to do with laziness/lack of drive. He loved the social aspects of school as he is a very unique individual and got to meet people who were accepting of his lifestyle, but he didn't seem to say many positive things about the classes. He worked very hard, though, and showed us some very nice projects.

I would just research and see where graduates have obtained jobs. I would look at costs. And I would try to go somewhere where the school networks with pertinent employers so you can have more opportunities. Beyond that, I can't really provide any input. Best of luck in your decision!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,261,894 times
Quote:
Does anyone know: what is the difference between getting a degree in The Art Institute vs a University? Which one is better?
A degree in what exactly? The general difference is that at Art Institute they won't teach you anything well except what is in your major, where as the university you'll get a much better general education.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 51,375 times
I am looking into a degree in Graphic Design.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it

Old 07-05-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I am looking into a degree in Graphic Design.
Do you already do graphic design? Do you believe you have talent in this area? Like a lot of art, graphic design is such that you either got the "secret sauce" or you don't. Nothing the school can do if you don't have it but take your money and give you modest grades. You'll also have trouble finding a job.

In short, if you love graphic design and have good reason to think you're going to be great at it (and be honest...with yourself) then perhaps the Art Institute would be a good choice. Otherwise a standard University will be better as you can easily change your major if things don't workout.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:45 PM

5,384 posts, read 6,663,503 times
I live in Western NY... I have a BS in ART... there were many areas one could concentrate in- one of which was Graphic Design. Everyone I know w/ that major grad w/ a job... I have other friends who went to SU... same thing. I don't think going to an Art Institue is going to put you over anyone else... I think it is your PORTFOLIO which will get you a job- not the name of the school you atteded. If you go do well, are innovative, get involved- become an intern, and create an amazing portfolio you will be fine no matter where you go...

Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,798,067 times
Graphic design is a field that is mostly about who you know, followed by your portfolio/skill level. It does not matter where you go to school for GD (unless, maybe RISD), or if you even go to school at all (learn at home).

One thing that is probably going to be the most important asset to you is to learn how to draw (with a pencil and paper). Any schmo can learn to design something using a computer program, but the really good GD artists are the ones who are just that; artists.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Graphic design is a field that is mostly about who you know, followed by your portfolio/skill level. It does not matter where you go to school for GD (unless, maybe RISD), or if you even go to school at all (learn at home).
This is pretty contradictory. If graphic design is mostly about who you know, than it will be rather important to go to the best school possible. Assuming you don't already know people, that is after all the best place to meet them.

Quote:
One thing that is probably going to be the most important asset to you is to learn how to draw (with a pencil and paper).
Oh yeah? I've never heard a graphic designer say this before. You don't need to be great at drawing to be a graphic designer. Graphic design programs are set up to give you basic drawing skills....because that is all you need.

Quote:
Any schmo can learn to design something using a computer program
Really why is that? What about doing graphic arts on the computer make it so much easier than pencil and paper so that "any schmo" can do it? This elitism with traditional art is rather silly. Graphics arts is just a modern medium, its no more difficult or easy than the traditional arts.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:23 AM

7,285 posts, read 13,798,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This is pretty contradictory. If graphic design is mostly about who you know, than it will be rather important to go to the best school possible. Assuming you don't already know people, that is after all the best place to meet them.
The only reason to go to a college that has a specific focus on art is because of the connections that you will make with your peers, alumni and others in the industry that favor a particular school. Connections are connections for the most part and they can be made anywhere, anytime.

Quote:
Oh yeah? I've never heard a graphic designer say this before. You don't need to be great at drawing to be a graphic designer. Graphic design programs are set up to give you basic drawing skills....because that is all you need.
1-Graphic design is a field that is well over 100 years old. As a medium, you could get by without using a CAD program, InDesign, Photoshop, et al. It's all about how effective you are in your in deploying your ideas/work. I guess that it depends on the medium, too, if web-based for instanced. Computers are there to aid in the process, to make it easier to display your ideas.

2-All art schools that take themselves seriously will require a portfolio before a decision on your admission has been made. One of the things that they want to see in your portfolio are sketches and drawings.

3-You need to be able to effectively sketch your ideas before you begin to do to anything on a computer. And by sketch, I mean something more then stick figures and chicken scratch.

4-Any good art school will either require drawing as a part of the graphic design curriculum, or will at least suggest it as an elective. As well as at least one course in design and/or art theory.

5-Graphic design can be anything from magazine, newspaper, journal, marketing brochure, or corporate reports to designing the opening and closing credits of movies and television as well as designing packages, logos, signs and signage, web based media, etc. Basically, everything you see and consume was designed by someone. The needs of the clients, and societies tastes change all the time, so you need to think outside of box (I hate the phrase) and be able to quickly adapt to the changes. Granted, simply being able to draw does not make one 'artistic', but drawing in and of itself will flex and strengthening one's artistic brain muscle.

Quote:
Really why is that? What about doing graphic arts on the computer make it so much easier than pencil and paper so that "any schmo" can do it? This elitism with traditional art is rather silly. Graphics arts is just a modern medium, its no more difficult or easy than the traditional arts.
No, graphic arts is not a modern medium. Saying something like that gives me the impression that you are either too young to remember a time without computers, or you have absolutely no idea what graphic designers do.

A really solid CAD program can turn a two dimensional image into a three dimensional image. Granted, you will need to learn which keyboard key you need to push in order to change the view of the image. So, in essence, you do not need to be able to visualize the image in 3-D because the computer is going to do it for you. Do I need to point out the blazingly obvious? Designing, or drawing with a computer program may mean that you have artistic sense, or it could just mean that you know how to use the program.

If you still think that I am full of it, check out this message board:
Core77.com :: Index

It's all for graphic and industrial designers. Tell these people that you do not need to know how to draw.

Here is a thread explaining why you need to be able to draw in order to be an effective GD or ID:

Core77.com :: View topic - Is sketching important?

Last edited by K-Luv; 07-06-2008 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities