Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Good grades, education wasted on state school, dream school in Boston, zero internship opportunities, join academic groups, volunteer work, academic tutor, extra credit assignments, post doc at Harvard

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:15 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,281 times

Advertisements

I can understand passing on the dream school in Boston as it is very expensive to live there and without enough scholarships it could be very difficult to survive. But, why did you pass on UT Austin and settle for a lower university? Did UT offer some scholarships? Being ranked 8th, did they offer grants? Texas has affordable state tuition compared to many other states and UT is one of the better state institutions. It sounds like you would have been awarded a similar financial package had you have gone to UT (since you had to file FAFSA at your other school). I believe many schools accept Junior transfers and I am surprised you can only go to another 4th Tier school. What are these 4th Tier schools you are talking about? Texas State? UTSA? UTA? I know a few friends (one an accountant) who graduated from Texas State and they are doing fine in their career. I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep up the good work and do your best. Many companies will find the best person for the job regardless of what school they attended.

I think many people get caught up in what we assume are the best colleges and universities. Private schools are not necessarily the best. Yes, many are great, but state schools can be fantastic as well . FarNorthDallas' list does show many kids going to many different schools around the country. A ton of them are state schools (mostly awesome state schools like Michigan, Illinois, UT, UNC Chapel Hill, UCLA) that are superior to many privates schools. Those kids chose to go to those schools. I am sure they had many more offers, but they chose to go to the school that fit them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,762 times
Acuda,

I am going to go to UNT. I was all set to go to UT Austin, although I missed the scholarship deadline like a moron. My parents didnt want to cosign on a loan and I couldnt get a large enough one myself. I was about two weeks from moving and I busted my knee and tore a ligament. I couldnt really move on crutches and needed surgery and physical therapy and so here I am a year later. I ended up taking that year of school here online because crutching across campus was getting to be terrible. I then had too many credits to transfer to UT Austin and they wouldnt accept my business indicator courses. They also dont defer enrollment. I'm thinking I will just go to UNT, since my tuition is basically covered and then try to get into UT Austin for grad school. It was originally a decision between Tx State and UTD as well, but UNT awarded me the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I can understand passing on the dream school in Boston as it is very expensive to live there and without enough scholarships it could be very difficult to survive. But, why did you pass on UT Austin and settle for a lower university? Did UT offer some scholarships? Being ranked 8th, did they offer grants? Texas has affordable state tuition compared to many other states and UT is one of the better state institutions. It sounds like you would have been awarded a similar financial package had you have gone to UT (since you had to file FAFSA at your other school). I believe many schools accept Junior transfers and I am surprised you can only go to another 4th Tier school. What are these 4th Tier schools you are talking about? Texas State? UTSA? UTA? I know a few friends (one an accountant) who graduated from Texas State and they are doing fine in their career. I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep up the good work and do your best. Many companies will find the best person for the job regardless of what school they attended.

I think many people get caught up in what we assume are the best colleges and universities. Private schools are not necessarily the best. Yes, many are great, but state schools can be fantastic as well . FarNorthDallas' list does show many kids going to many different schools around the country. A ton of them are state schools (mostly awesome state schools like Michigan, Illinois, UT, UNC Chapel Hill, UCLA) that are superior to many privates schools. Those kids chose to go to those schools. I am sure they had many more offers, but they chose to go to the school that fit them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities