U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-08-2008, 12:05 AM

7 posts, read 17,126 times
Default can i get into community college?

I'm a high school student and haven't really applied myself through out high school, my grades ranged from D's to A's. This upcoming fall I'll be a senior and am going to try harder to get better grades. My goal is A's and B's and maybe the occasional C. I also don't plan on taking a language course because It will put me behind with my credits because I am making a few up because of my attendance. I'm just wondering, can i get into a community college? I've heard you can get into some with only a GED. If that's the case, I should be able to get into one right? Also, Iv'e heard that you don't need language credits to get into community colleges. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-08-2008, 12:16 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,407,949 times
CCs are guaranteed admission

You do not need language courses period unless you want to move onto a 4 yr college ( Florida)

Unread 07-08-2008, 07:12 AM

5,384 posts, read 6,299,453 times
Schools are getting tougher and tougher to get into these days. If your grades/SAT scores are not that great the chances of you getting in are slim. NY has seriously toughened up- SUNY Schools are finding they have many more applicants than spaces available and are then able to be much more SELECTIVE. I am sure the same thing is happening elsewhere. In NY we have the 2+2 system- where you do your 2 years at a community college and if you have proved yourself there you can apply to a 4 yr college and most of the time you are accepted as are your transferring credits... Go to the community college, get a game plan, work you tush off and transfer in two years...You will also save a ton of money doing that.

Unread 07-08-2008, 09:32 AM

3,415 posts, read 6,200,141 times
Your local community colleges have advisors available that can answer your questions.

Unread 07-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Her

149 posts, read 436,022 times
you can probably get in. Most community colleges accept everyone. A lot of kids I knew that couldnt get into the university went to the community college and then transferred to the uni after bringing their grades up. i wouldnt worry about it.

Unread 07-08-2008, 10:33 AM

9,538 posts, read 9,521,633 times
You can probably get into community college, but if you want to be able to transfer to a 4 year college be sure to maintain your grades while you are there.

Unread 07-08-2008, 12:05 PM

5,148 posts, read 7,794,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You can probably get into community college, but if you want to be able to transfer to a 4 year college be sure to maintain your grades while you are there.
Also, check with any universities you might be interested in to see what's required and what will transfer from the community college.

Unread 07-08-2008, 12:45 PM

268 posts, read 1,037,205 times
You may need to take a math and english placement test to see if you need to take any basic classes. The one that I had to take was called Compass.

Unread 07-08-2008, 12:48 PM

46,822 posts, read 41,270,422 times
i can't say enough good about community college. low cost near by and great VT at low cost in some high paid jobs. no student loans, community college is often open to people wrapping up their senior year of hi school. see a counselor asap to find out why so good in some studies and poor in others. strengthen your weak spots and go forward. good luck.

Unread 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM

30 posts, read 65,954 times
Of course you can. As long as you pass the proper tests that are required for admission. I only have a GED and might go into one next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities