Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 11:46 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times

Advertisements

Take lots of GIS/spatial stats courses and remote sensing/Landsat and you'll be primed for a good career in the environmental field as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 02:56 PM

343 posts, read 932,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Let me ask a question. Am I the only person on this forum that was one of those nerds that stood in bookstores reading the almanac regarding anything to do with geography such as sq miles, population, history of different regions, geographic areas of different regions, etc. Because that's the type of person I am.

I simply LOVE geography and everything that it is about. Right now I am majoring in Information Technology-Security but in the back of my mind I wonder if I'm majoring in the wrong area. Because I am a geography nut. Even though geology is different, I love that as well because it talks about geography. I don't know, I think I need to change it and go for it. I didn't know you could do much with a geography degree. I see that you actually can now. But at the same time, I absolutely LOVE computers and everything that it is about. I like the mysteries that are involved with them as well.
You're not the only one.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:13 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Yup, graduated in 06 from UNC-Charlotte. Thinking about going back to graduate school and focusing on urban planning, but I'm trying to get my loans down. I love studying cities like Portland and trying to figuring out how to implement those designs into cities that are trying to incorporate smart growth.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:59 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I'm interested in Urban & Regional Planning for grad school... Has anyone heard which school has the best program? I've been considering the University of South Florida at Tampa, but I'm open to other schools.. Preferably one on the east coast to be in a days drive to WV to see my family.
University of Illinois - Chicago is supposed to have one of the best. I'm actually deciding right now if I want to apply or not, specializing in transportation planning. I'm going to meet with one of the professors on Tuesday.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Not long ago on Mike McConnell's show (Cincinnati's WLW AM 700) a guest, who seemed to have some sort of axe to grind against mass transit, had an interesting take on Portland. He said that it was only through heavy tax incentives did commercial development sprout up along Portland's rail lines. He also said that his studies show that mostly tourists used mass transit in Europe!!! Wish I could remember more about his interview...sigh

Supernerdgirl, if you ever find your way into a transportation planning job, I'd sure like to bend your ear about trucking. (And, no, I'm not a shill for trucking executives...)

Old 07-13-2008, 07:27 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
One of my best friends majored in geography and then got a travel and tourism minor. For the last 6 years, she has been doing international event planning (e.g., gets flown around the world to plan kick ass events). She's getting burnt out and is going to teach geography at the high school level after getting her certificate.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Supernerdgirl, if you ever find your way into a transportation planning job, I'd sure like to bend your ear about trucking. (And, no, I'm not a shill for trucking executives...)
Heh, actually, right now I work for a magazine that covers trucking in the midwest. It's geared toward fleet managers. All we hear about is how difficult things are now with all the emissions/anti-idling stuff on one side, and the staggering gas prices on the other.

I'm a pretty huge transit advocate, though. I think that's where my calling lies. I kind of want to run the whole damn CTA someday, haha.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 AM

118 posts, read 537,568 times
SBCA,

You said you're going tp UPenn for Demography... now is that a Science or an Art? Like, are you collecting data or analyzing it?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 PM

118 posts, read 537,568 times
anyone else?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:21 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
He also said that his studies show that mostly tourists used mass transit in Europe!!! Wish I could remember more about his interview...sigh
I assure you after living myself in Europe for a few years and traveling to every country there that it certainly is not mostly tourists that use mass transit.

Most of my friends and co-workers there did not even own cars or any sort of motorized transportation, only a few had bicycles even, they just used mass transit the same as I did while living there.

Rush hour was always glorious and fun on the mass transit system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities