Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times

Advertisements

Pear, Most community colleges will have counselors that will help you figure out how to get into a four year college. It's important that you find out how to do that from the very beginning though so you are not taking classes that will not count towards a bachelors degree. Here in PA many of the community colleges have relationships with local universities so that all of the credits smoothly transfer and it's fairly common to do two years at the local CC and then transfer in as a junior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 PM

847 posts, read 3,518,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Without an AA degree you will not be considered a transfer they will need your test scores and h.s record if you have one. So it will be very very difficult especially to get into a medical program.
This is false. I am a former high school guidance counselor who is now an admissions officer at a Florida University. If you have attended any post-secondary institution and have at least 12 decent, transferable credits, you will be considered a transfer student.
My recommendation to you is to get your AA degree as most, if not all, community colleges in Florida have agreements with the Florida State Schools for automatic acceptance.
If not, take the SAT, not a big deal and apply with your GED.
If you are under the age of 24 and can not show proof of independence, you will need your parents' information.
PM me if you have specific questions and I am happy to help you.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yes, it is possible. However, since you are only 19 you will still need to submit SAT/ACT scores. Once five years have elapsed since you graduated from high school, the SAT/ACT scores become nil with pretty much all schools.
Not true actually. At the school where I work, if you do not have over 6-0 transferable credits, you will need ACT or SAT scores even if you are 80.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:17 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
This is false. I am a former high school guidance counselor who is now an admissions officer at a Florida University. If you have attended any post-secondary institution and have at least 12 decent, transferable credits, you will be considered a transfer student.
My recommendation to you is to get your AA degree as most, if not all, community colleges in Florida have agreements with the Florida State Schools for automatic acceptance.
If you are under the age of 24 and can not show proof of independence, you will need your parents' information.
I know you will considered to be a transfer in the sense you are going from one school to another but if you have less then 60 credits they will still need your diploma or ged and test scores. Sometimes they will need h.s transcripts.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:21 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,716 times
As far as I know, you dont need an Associates to transfer. Some schools do not even offer associate degrees. Thats just completely false. As long as you have 30 credits, youre a transfer. If you dont, apply as a freshman.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,556 times
Is it possible? Yes, But I would also like to point out that due to severe budget cuts in the state of florida it is now almost impossible to transfer to a public school without an A.A degree

Quote:
Beginning with Fall 2008, USF will require all transfers with 60+ transferable hoursincluding A.A. transfers from Florida community collegesto meet the GPA requirement for their intended major. Applicants for Athletic Training, Business, Communications, Education, and Engineering must have a 2.50 transfer GPA; applicants for Mass Communications must have a 2.75; applicants for Architecture and Liberal Studies must have a 3.00; and, applicants for Nursing must have a 2.50 with an A.S. in Nursing or a 3.00 with an A.A.
USF no longer will admit transfers with fewer than 36 transferable hours, as national and institutional data suggests that students who transfer this early are less likely to succeed academically. For those with 36 to 59 hours, USF will require a 3.00 transfer GPA, again based on data related to transfer student success in the classroom. For other transfers with 60+ hours (including FLCC transfers without an A.A. or A.S. degree), USF’s regional campuses in St. Petersburg, Sarasota-Manatee and Lakeland will continue to consider applicants with a 2.00 transfer GPA, while USF Tampa now will require a 2.50 transfer GPA. We expect this last requirement to increase on the Tampa campus to a 2.75 starting in Summer 2009 and a 3.00 in Summer 2010. As these changes in transfer criteria are implemented, USF will continue to assist transfer students in their efforts to identify the best academic fit within the USF System.
Thats just USF and USF use to be considered the back up school everyone could get into so you can only imagine the crap you will have to deal with at a higher up school.

EDIT: oh and look at UF
Quote:
Freshman or Sophomore Transfer with fewer than 60 (13-59) credit hours
Due to space limitations, UF is not currently accepting lower-division transfer students. Prospective transfer applicants are encouraged to remain at or to transfer to a Florida community college until the AA degree is complete.
So your best bet without a degree is to go to a private school or for-profit. You will end up in a lot of debt!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I know you will considered to be a transfer in the sense you are going from one school to another but if you have less then 60 credits they will still need your diploma or ged and test scores. Sometimes they will need h.s transcripts.
Correct, high school transcripts and SAT or ACT scores if you have less than 60 hours, no need for your diploma, you can leave that framed on your wall. I need to see what you took to graduate not if you did!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ray View Post
As far as I know, you dont need an Associates to transfer. Some schools do not even offer associate degrees. Thats just completely false. As long as you have 30 credits, youre a transfer. If you dont, apply as a freshman.
Actually, in FL, as long as you have over 12 credits you are a transfer, but anything under 60, you will need a high school transcript and test scores as well as transcripts from any colleges you went to.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,903,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post

Wow, thats so helpful. Thanks. I think I'm going to look into taking the SAT.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Is it possible? Yes, But I would also like to point out that due to severe budget cuts in the state of florida it is now almost impossible to transfer to a public school without an A.A degree
We are admitting a lot of transfers without AA degrees. The budget cuts really impacted enrollment for this year but may change but even still, lots of lower lever transfers are coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities