Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times

Advertisements

Important facts regarding the question:

~I'm financially independant 19 year old.
~I have a GED.
~I never took SATS or ACTS.
~I am attending community college trying to get a transferable degree.
~I work full-time, which makes studying/being a student really difficult.
~I live in Florida (Miami).

Is it possible for someone like me to transfer to a 4 year college or university without my associates degree?

Can you transfer with just a few community college credits?

Is it possible for me to get loans to pay rent with (or groceries) ?

Have you been in this or a similiar situation?

Anything you say will help.

If it is not possible, please let me know.

I feel like 4-year institutions are much more helpful towards students. I want to live partly off of loans and study full-time while working part-time. I really need answers. I think if I even tried to ask someone at the school I go to about this, I would get zero information and zero help.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Have you looked into getting a grant, such as a pell grant, vs a loan? There are many grants available.
Also you have not take the ACT, you do know that if your score is high enough, it used to be a 24, you can get a full scholorship, in the state if AR anyway. Idk how that would work since your already in college though. When I went to ASU )Arkansas State, there were people there that had transferred in from all over. I would contact the school, and ask to speak to the admissions department.

Last edited by arguy1973; 07-16-2008 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
If you have selected a four-year college that you want to go to, make an appointment with the Financial Aid Officer and ask these questions. More than likely, you would qualify for a Pell Grant, but there may be many other opportunties available. You should also make an appointment with an Admissions Rep and the Dean of whatever your major will be. Don't be afraid to ask because the more people you have on your side the better. One rule does not apply to all, and if you present yourself well to them and have a plan for your future, they will be able to help you.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Have you looked into getting a grant, such as a pale grant, vs a loan? There are many grants available.
Also you have not take the ACT, you do know that if your score is high enough, it used to be a 24, you can get a full scholorship, in the state if AR anyway. Idk how that would work since your already in college though.
I don't even know where to look. All of my schooling (besides college) was done out-of-state. I am so clueless about how this system works in Florida.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
If you have selected a four-year college that you want to go to, make an appointment with the Financial Aid Officer and ask these questions. More than likely, you would qualify for a Pell Grant, but there may be many other opportunties available. You should also make an appointment with an Admissions Rep and the Dean of whatever your major will be. Don't be afraid to ask because the more people you have on your side the better. One rule does not apply to all, and if you present yourself well to them and have a plan for your future, they will be able to help you.
well put!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
If you are willing to move, please look at this site: College of the Ozarks, Hard Work U. (broken link)

Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,956 times
I don't have all the answers for you but I do have some:

-- Yes you can definitely transfer to a four year college but you will be required to take some entrance tests here and there if you don't have an associates degree - I would say at least try to clear as many credits as you can at the comm college ~ 55cr at least.

-- Yes you will definitely get loans but there is a cap I think its $45K (in NJ) or maybe a little more in FL and once you hit that limit you then have to start looking into private loan sources. Also the loans are not generally for your well being but for educational related costs most of these are paid directly to the college and if there is some left the school cuts you a check so I will say its not sufficient money to rely on or expect to pay rent with.

My suggestion to you:

If you still live at home try as much as possible to at least get your associates degree from the comm college plus its cheaper rather than getting a whole bunch of loans and slaving your life away after graduation that is if you graduate to pay them back. One other thing with loans you need to know is once you are out of school the payment cycle kicks in depending on who gave you the loan and the conditions related to the loan.

If you really still want to go to a four year and work part time - you might be able to qualify for grants and scholarships depending on your situation but you will need to study very hard to keep that money coming else if your GPA drops below the minimum required you will be on your own.

Ask any questions away and I will try to answer what I can if I can...!!!

Regards,

=============

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

~I have a GED.

Is it possible for someone like me to transfer to a 4 year college or university without my associates degree?

I feel like 4-year institutions are much more helpful towards students. I want to live partly off of loans and study full-time while working part-time. I really need answers. I think if I even tried to ask someone at the school I go to about this, I would get zero information and zero help.

Thank you!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:36 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:

~I have a GED.

Thank you!
you say you're a financially independent 19yo, but are you an actual independent student? there is a difference. even if you're caring for yourself financially, a college may still require financial info from your parents in order for you to get FA. I believe the only options around this is if your parents are dead, you're a ward of the state, you're married, you have have a child, or if there is some extreme situations not covered by the above (and the college may go case by case on this last option).

when you fill out the FAFSA, you should get an award letter stating what grants and federal loans you qualify for. if you're an independent student, you will get a bit more. if you're a dependent student, you can ask your folks to look into a PLUS loan. if your credit is good, or if you have a co-signer, you could look into private loans, but this should be a last resort option since private loans have higher interest rates and harsher conditions. when you apply to school and get your award letter, you'll get a COA amount, the Cost of Attendance. this amount includes tuition, fees, room and board if you choose to live on campus or an estimated off campus housing cost, estimated book and supplies costs, estimated transportation costs, etc. for example, tuition at my school is about $18k, but the COA is just under $38K. it's important to know your COA because some loan companies won't lend you money if your total grants, scholarships, and federal loan will go over the COA. so in theory, you could possibly get a loan to cover rent and food, but not a lot extra so budget wisely.

IMO, it makes no sense to get an Associates degree and then transfer to a 4 year school. often times, the number of credits needed to get an Assoc. degree is higher than the number of credits a 4 year school will allow to be transferred, so you end up wasting a lot of money. only get an Assoc. degree if you feel you can get a better paying job w/ it. just get your Gen. Eds out of the way then transfer

Old 07-16-2008, 01:41 PM

21 posts, read 89,076 times
I have experience with Miami and community college, and I worked (and still do) while going to school, so here's my advice:

-Go on the web and google your program interests. Find as many schools as you can that you want to go to.

- Don't avoid private schools just because they are expensive (except UM, which is overpriced and not that good) and don't avoid going out of state. Often private schools have more money to give you than public ones (and they like to say they help disadvantaged students also. It's good PR!). I did and am much better for it.

-Contact the admissions counselors in each school and ask them what do you have to do academically to qualify for entrance. Should you finish your AA? or can you transfer before then?, what prep courses you should take? etc.

-If going out of state is impossible for you at the moment (there's always time later, even if you're older), the best local school is FIU and they are a public/private institution. They will accept some transfer credits but you have to go and talk to them to find out which ones. FIU will prepare you for better schools later on.

-Make the decision; pack your bags, and get the &%$ out! and don't look back! Your future is all that matters!!

Quote:

~I have a GED.

Thank you!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:23 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
1.What do you want to major in?
2. How many credits do you have left?
3. Why haven't you found a job with tuition reimbursement?
4. Why haven't you talked to fin aid about scholarships?

If it is possible stay away from loans!!!!! Get a job with reimbursement, get scholarships and get grants. Sure you do not have to pay 6 months after you graduate but will you be able to come up with the total amount by 6 months?

University of North Florida is guaranteed acceptance at least it was 3 years ago not sure about now. The school is nice, area not so bad right across a huge mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities