Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
What are you currently majoring in, or what is your major/minor?

I started off college with the idea of being a forensics scientist, so I took chemistry. So I took chemistry. Then I wanted to be a teacher, so I still took chemistry but added a minor in secondary education. But in the last year I have looked into pharmacy school. They pay pretty good, and most pharmacists who work in stores like Walgreen's get fair hours and a good work schedule.
A couple just moved in around here.....both freshly out of school one with 6 month exp. the other just graduated. Both have jobs making Around $120,000 with a combined income of about $230,000...not a bad choice.

Me: HVAC/R. Plan on starting next semester for Mech. Eng.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:40 PM

288 posts, read 919,362 times
I started out as a computer science major and ended up double majoring in computer science and biology.

My computer science classes were so much harder and more work than my biology classes.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:44 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
interactive media and design

Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Started out international relations with a focus on poverty and inequality (at my school, there are 6 different "international relations" to take.. you all end up with the same degree, but a whole range of focuses), now am triple majoring in Latin American studies, international relations with a focus on environmental policy, and politics with a minor in history.

I could graduate in 3 years if I wasn't studying abroad for a full year.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:47 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
BS Physics. No regrets on that!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
here's another aspect of the same question:
How many people use their majors for a job not just a line item on a resume???

Old 07-18-2008, 04:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Raises hand.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Interesting posts. Well I started off at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University as a Human Factors & Engineering Major. Then I transferred to West Virginia University as an industrial engineering major, but after my first summer session I switched to general Psychology. I did not like the work prospects for being a Psychology major, so I got an Associates degree in Electronics Engineering Technology from the Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics.

When it came to work, I worked for 3 years in the computer/software industry as a computer software tester and RF lab worker. But then I switched gears totally and got a job with a title insurance company making just as much money but with more "perks" so to speak (bonuses, travel, etc.) I ended up in the accounting department of the company eventually.

Now I'm back in school full-time at WVU pursuing a Regents Bachelor of Arts degree which is a general degree with no major. You just need to fulfill a set number of requirements from the college of Arts and Sciences. You do have the opportunity to have an "area of emphasis" which is like a minor...but you add 6 additional credits to the minor requirement. I am doing this, and my AOE is Business Administration.

I plan on going to graduate school for accounting. In addition to my Business area of emphasis, I am fulfilling all of my available elective credit with accounting classes. Kind of a crazy journey, but I'm glad I found a spot where I am happy!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
It's probably a very low percentage. Who do you know goes to college knowing precisely the type of career they want? Most ppl pick a major and just goes thru the paces to graduation. Alot of ppl don't know know what kinds of jobs are available for what they're studying. College for the great majority of kids is absolutely useless! All you end up with is a huge debt when you graduate and you end up taking whatever job you can find just to pay it off anyway!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:26 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
It's probably a very low percentage. Who do you know goes to college knowing precisely the type of career they want? Most ppl pick a major and just goes thru the paces to graduation. Alot of ppl don't know know what kinds of jobs are available for what they're studying. College for the great majority of kids is absolutely useless! All you end up with is a huge debt when you graduate and you end up taking whatever job you can find just to pay it off anyway!
For people with lesser than average ambition, perhaps. There's no excuse to not get a scholarship unless you slacked off in high school, and for a little less prestige, most people can find at least some state school that will give them full tuition if that's what they want.

I probably will use at least one of my majors for a career, but that's the benefit of having 3 majors- 2 of which are interdisciplinary! International relations can be applied to any career I would ever consider seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities