Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffiamcore View Post
LOL ew don't go to DeVry or any other for-profit school for that matter. Employer do not take the degree seriously and it's expensive, basically you are just buying a degree. Please consider other options.

**Also the credits do not transfer so after you find that the "degree" you have gotten from DeVry is useless and when you get tired of employer's laughing you out of interviews, you must start all over the beginning. Please don't waste your time with this for profit schools.
Harsh---but spot on. I own a TH about a half mile from their Phoenix campus. I wouldn't rent to them--ever. There is a sharp contrast between those students and the ASU students (whom I wouldn't rent to either), whom I might actually hire. Behind those mountains of beer bottles, they are just a much higher caliber person. People send their kids to loan factories as a band-aid solution to a much bigger problem. DeVry Grads are worth less than minimum wage in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Hi, Im am thinking of taking my BA in HR management with DeVry University.
Does anybody have ant experience with that school?
I have no previous College.
I wouldn't do it. How about finding a community college, doing your two years there, then transferring to a four-year university or college for the BA? Going for a full degree at one of those for-profit schools is like throwing money down the drain. I'd definitely at least check out all the options first, including financial aid packages at private colleges.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
They're all scam places. My best friend dropped out of Highland Pk High (top ranked in Central NJ)two months before graduating and got his GED because he could not deal with the usual drama in high school anymore, then debated on whether to go to Middlesex CC or Chubb. He chose Chubb, came out with a certificate in a year and is still forced to live paycheck to paycheck.

I looked up DeVry after getting reduced to manual labor after getting a BA from a private college that steered me wrong so they can get their $$$ worth out of my lower middle class family. I asked my workplace if they had any connections, they said only with Ivy's. I said no.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:45 PM

222 posts, read 578,776 times
I dont know about the rest of these guys but i think it depends on the region your in. In Ohio most companies I have talk to in it's state capital said it endorses or should I say hears good things about Devry. Now I also don't agree with it's job placement and do feel that any school with a just as good reputation you should attend cause DeVry is very expensive. Devry is a legit school and the degree is legit, I would disagree with anybody saying it is not legit. From my experience I have seen the job fairs, the opportunities and have even got a job due to Devry. I also would like to say this after six months the school doesn't work as hard as it should if you loose that job do to circumstances to find you another. I also think in some regions Devry has a bad reputation, because maybe they don't handle things like the other universities around the country. But all in all I give Devry a C-, just because it can improve on a lot of things yet but is not as bad as peopl;e make it out. I also give it a c- cause it does do better than most state colleges by giving hands on education. I have never had problems with the education structure at Devry but do think every school can improve.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't understand why anyone would go to one of these for-profit schools if there is a not-for-profit school close by.

As an HR intern I have learned that UofP degrees are often laughed at and if the rest of the resume isn't impressive, it will go in the trash.

I question the allumni network or lack or network at the for-profit online institutions. It seems to really be worth going to an actual college with an on-site career center and the allumni network that can be used to find work after graduating.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:12 PM

222 posts, read 578,776 times
I like Devry hands on approach but wish still I would have went to a state college cause the school is just too expensive and the job placement is not all what it is cracked up to be. Most colleges in my area of Columbus don't do hands on, when I ask about hands on training in labs I got a blank look and a unexplainable question which could not be answered. One thing is for sure, Devry even though it is expensive is the only college that has in room hands on training outside of some other for-profit schools. I wouldn't recommend Devry for anyone because it is too expensive and doesn't have the 90% job placement like they advertise. I don't recommend any for-profit school for this matter and also add, even though I wouldn't recommend this school cause of it's price but will say if you want hands on it is very good at that and can turn a person with little to no computer knowledge to a person with a lot of computer knowledge and so on. I conclude this information and say this there are a lot of pro's and con's at every school just pick the best one that fit your budget.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Don't community colleges provide hands-on experience? I don't know which program you attended, but a lot of IT degrees can be done online with Devry or some other school. I heard from someone that Devry has decent computer programs and that's about it. There are cheaper for-profits that are less known. When it comes to for-profits, the less name recognition, the better.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
As an HR intern I have learned that UofP degrees are often laughed at and if the rest of the resume isn't impressive, it will go in the trash.

I question the allumni network or lack or network at the for-profit online institutions. It seems to really be worth going to an actual college with an on-site career center and the allumni network that can be used to find work after graduating.
I hate to agree, that they are laughed at.
They will BRING DOWN AN otherwise good resume.

Pull out if you can.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:15 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
i wouldnt go into anything that i would be embarrassed to put on my resume. sure you can omit it but what the point of paying for it?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I say don't go to a community college, you still want to go to a 4 year university if you want to get a bachelors. You can't get a bachelors from a community college. If you want to do a community college and then transfer, that's a great idea and it will also save you some money along the way. Remember you can usually go to a state university for about 7-8k per year which is not much different than something like DeVry and will give you MANY more job opportunities. That is also something to look into.

Regardless, best of luck to you. Good hard work always pays off in the end, and it looks like you're moving in the right direction here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities