Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 PM

633 posts, read 2,537,492 times

Advertisements

I have a really strange question. I'm currently 40 yrs old and have a comfortable job at a Risk Management Pool in WA State.

That being said, I was born and raised in OK and when I was growing up I always wanted to be an English teacher. To the point that I was very conscious of my grammar and how I spoke so that I didn't sound like I was a hick from rural OK. My mom talked me out of it because back in the 80's she said teachers didn't make a lot of money. My thought at that time was if everyone who wanted to be a teacher thought like that, there would be no one to teach.

Still, I listened to my mom and attended the Univ of Oklahoma as a Public Relations major. I only completed 2 years because I listened to my heart instead of my head and ended up getting married.

Anyhow, it has always been in the back of my head to go back to school. My love is English and literature, but I also still think about teaching.

Couple of questions, do you think it's crazy to try and go back now to teach? Should I just get my degree in English for my own self-satisfaction and stay where I am? I know most of these are ultimately my own decision, but just curious if anyone has ever been in the same boat as me.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 PM

951 posts, read 3,701,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
I have a really strange question. I'm currently 40 yrs old and have a comfortable job at a Risk Management Pool in WA State.

That being said, I was born and raised in OK and when I was growing up I always wanted to be an English teacher. To the point that I was very conscious of my grammar and how I spoke so that I didn't sound like I was a hick from rural OK. My mom talked me out of it because back in the 80's she said teachers didn't make a lot of money. My thought at that time was if everyone who wanted to be a teacher thought like that, there would be no one to teach.

Still, I listened to my mom and attended the Univ of Oklahoma as a Public Relations major. I only completed 2 years because I listened to my heart instead of my head and ended up getting married.

Anyhow, it has always been in the back of my head to go back to school. My love is English and literature, but I also still think about teaching.

Couple of questions, do you think it's crazy to try and go back now to teach? Should I just get my degree in English for my own self-satisfaction and stay where I am? I know most of these are ultimately my own decision, but just curious if anyone has ever been in the same boat as me.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

GO Hawks!!!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,001,845 times
It's never too late to go back to school. Learning is something you never outgrow. I myself am an "older student" but I won't quit until I finally get my diploma.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:26 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,315,721 times
I am in favor of going to school and following your dreams, no matter what your age or life circumstances may be.

My life followed a similar path in many ways to yours. I went to college right out of high school, majoring in art because I didn't know what else to choose, and realized at the end of my third semester that: A) I had ZERO talent in art, B) I had no interest in pursuing any sort of a career in art, and C) I had no clue what I really DID want to do with my life. So I quit school and went to work.

Fast forward almost a quarter-century. I was in my early 40's, had spent two decades working in accounting and liking it a lot, but had reached the point where I couldn't advance any further because I didn't have a degree. I found a bricks-and-mortar school here locally that caters to adult learners and started taking evening classes.

The scariest thing that I have ever done is to walk into that classroom the very first time as a student after all those decades. I'd been walking into classrooms as the parent meeting my kids' instructors for a long while, but entering a classroom as a student.... yikes. I nearly turned around and walked back out before I got to the classroom. I forced myself to keep going, though, and guess what? My brain still worked, and it was actually fun to go back and explore new things that I hadn't thought about in years and years.

It took me five years and cost me plenty both financially and in terms of lost sleep, but I collected the degree at age 48. And I now have a job that I love, but that I would never have qualified for without the sheepskin. It was worth every penny and every sleepless night.

Follow your bliss, seahawksweetie, and do what you love, even if it takes you ten years to get the degree. A decade from now, you're going to be ten years older than you are right now anyway, whether you go back to school or not. You might as well spend that time doing something that you love.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:19 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,839,843 times
GO ahead with your dreams . If you want to be a teacher you have to be. You need to work for , put yourself a plan and do all your efforts to realise your aim .
I am almost 40 ,I intend to continue my studies that stoped due to certain family problems. I think that You will be more happier as a teacher.
Age is not a reason to be disappointed.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 AM

633 posts, read 2,537,492 times
thanks for the input, I think I will start checking out what classes are offered around me in regards to teaching.

I'm scared to death, but also very excited!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,241,777 times
Go for it. I went back to school to finish my degree and it was so much sweeter for the wait. You may decide to teach after retirement. My stepmom finished her MA during her 50s, took an early retirement and now substitute teaches when she feels like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities