Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:01 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,366,847 times

Advertisements

Scores of people in Maryland, Virginia and the District are on a government list of about 9,600 people who may have purchased fraudulent high school and college degrees, including some who appear to work in government and the military, the list shows.

Federal authorities are poring through the list for U.S. employees who may have purchased a phony degree over the Internet, according to Brandon A. Montgomery, spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security. Any names will be sent to the agencies where they work for possible administrative action, he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...073002300.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:02 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,908,570 times
Stupid is and stupid does!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Stupid is and stupid does!
Yep. I have never in my entire life heard of so many schemes, scams and criminal acts. I find it hard to believe that any of those here illegally have any morals or values, no matter how long they've been here. It's culturally embedded and no pathway to citizenship or amnesty can ever change who and what they are.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,721,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Yep. I have never in my entire life heard of so many schemes, scams and criminal acts. I find it hard to believe that any of those here illegally have any morals or values, no matter how long they've been here. It's culturally embedded and no pathway to citizenship or amnesty can ever change who and what they are.
Where in the story does it say that those caught were illegal at a point in their lives or even latino? I found the complete list of the names and it is pretty darn hard to guess which ones came in illegally and the names are pretty diverse to boot.

Spokesmanreview.com: Diploma mill degree recipients (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/data/diploma-mill/ - broken link)

Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,734,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Where in the story does it say that those caught were illegal at a point in their lives or even latino? I found the complete list of the names and it is pretty darn hard to guess which ones came in illegally and the names are pretty diverse to boot.

Spokesmanreview.com: Diploma mill degree recipients (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/data/diploma-mill/ - broken link)
Damn, not even most of those names are Hispanic.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Paranoid much? The key to reading is comprehension . . .this is the IMMIGRATION THREAD, believe it or not we are fully aware there are other Nationals here besides Mexicans. Why else would HOMELAND SECURITY BE INVOVLED.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Well this at least saves the taxpayers a great deal of money in not having to provide them free college educations. They can do like they always do with everything else -- drivers licenses, social security numbers, birth certificates -- just purchase a fraudulent or stolen degree.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:

I didn't see where JDubsMom or anyone brought up "latino".

If these are legal immigrants, then there's a lot of reform needed in legal immigration.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,734,188 times
Quote:
Paranoid much? The key to reading is comprehension . . .this is the IMMIGRATION THREAD, believe it or not we are fully aware there are other Nationals here besides Mexicans. Why else would HOMELAND SECURITY BE INVOVLED.
Quote:
In which culture is being a criminal embedded? Nice recovery though!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,721,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't see where JDubsMom or anyone brought up "latino".

If these are legal immigrants, then there's a lot of reform needed in legal immigration.
What makes you think they are not legal immigrants and U.S citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities