Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Concerned citizen seeking opinions on Senator John McCain education reform platform, federal education funds put into hands of local principles, less governmental control of funding

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times

Advertisements

What are your reactions to Senator McCain's OpEd on Education Reform?

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...on_reform.html

Mine is that for a column that starts by declaring a call for major reform, the tools he offers are minor, at best, with one of them (vouchers) having been shown to be neutral at best.

Where are his proposals for major reform?

"Moreover, the funds for these bonuses will not be controlled by faraway officials. Under my reforms, we will put the money and the responsibilities where they belong - in the office of the school principal."

How can the federal government ever offer funds that are other than controlled by faraway officials? Yes, the money may be channeled to the schools - but the faucet, as with all federal funds, will be in the hands of first Congress and then the DoE - faraway officials, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
My reaction is that it is too vague to make a real judgment. Are we talking teacher bonuses of $150? $2000? What about the vouchers and scholarships - without more specifics it's awfully hard to assess the value of any of the proposals in the article.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
My reaction is that it is too vague to make a real judgment. Are we talking teacher bonuses of $150? $2000? What about the vouchers and scholarships - without more specifics it's awfully hard to assess the value of any of the proposals in the article.
Good points.

I would ordinarily suggest checking his website, but unless it has changed recently, you will find little more there.

Not that I am inordinately impressed by Senator Obama's proposals or the other dozen folks running for President.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:47 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,878 times
I really question whether politicians who have little or no direct experience in education can properly reform education in this country.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 PM

87 posts, read 524,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
I really question whether politicians who have little or no direct experience in education can properly reform education in this country.
By all accounts I've seen Senator Obama was well liked as a law professor at the University of Chicago, and was offered tenure.

Granted that is quite different from teaching at a failing inner city public school, but it is still substantial and direct experience in education.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
They certainly can't do it in a vacuum - hence my question below, asking what you as adviser to the President and Sec'y of Education would suggest be the direction for change/reform.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,311 times
One thing I would suggest if anyone were going to reform public education would be to provide funding for lower and working class families to have opportunities for quality pre-kindergarten programs. Research has proven over and over that children who receive a quality pre-kindergarten education (consistant, warm and caring caregivers and teachers, lots of opportunity for learning through play, lots of opportunity for socialization, an environment with a sufficient amount of equipment such as blocks, dramatic play equipment, legos, art supplies, picture books, charts, writing equipment, etc., plenty of opportunities for language development, lots of read alouds daily, etc.) make a tremendous difference in both later academic achievement and social development. These children, when they become teens and adults, are significantly less likely to abuse drugs and alcohol, commit suicide, engage in promiscuous behavior and collect public assistance. Until the child is old enough for this type of program I would suggest high quality daycare with financial assistance provided to the parent(s) as needed.

I am not sure exactly how to do it, but we also need to do an effective job reaching the parents of these children so that they will be willing to take advantage of these types of educational opportunities.

Nancy

Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,311 times
I would also like to address the vouchers, or opportunity scholorships which continue to be promoted by the Republican candidates.

It's hard to even know where to begin, but one of the major flaws of this program is that it leaves the poorest segment of the population right where they are now and in even worse shape because many of their positive role models have been taken out of the school and placed in a private school by their parents. The government does not provide the full cost of the tuition at these schools. I taught in a Title I school for 21 years where the majority of parents would find it extremely difficult to come up with even a few hundred dollars to make up the difference, although in many if not most cases, the family would need to provide more than that amount for a year in most private schools, even with major tuition assistance.

Second, many of these parents cannot even afford to transport these children to these private schools. Are we going to expect the government to provide transportation for families who receive vouchers?

Third, what about meals? Many of these families cannot afford to pack a lunch nor purchase one at school. Is the government going to provide funds for that, in a private school?

Fourth, many if not most of these schools expect parent participation, including a certain amount of volunteer hours. FL has tried this program on a small scale. One parent was quoted in our newspaper a few years ago as saying this: "I pulled my daughter out of there because they expected me to do too much at that school and I don't have time for that." Interesting huh?

Fifth, what about religion in the religious affliated private schools which receive public funds? Does the school have the right to require the children participate in the religious education aspect of the school? In my opinion that would be a serious violation of seperation of church and state.

Last, what about testing? When the program was tried here private schools were told they have the right to opt out of state mandated tests because after all, they are private schools. How are they going to be monitored if this is the case?

Vouchers may be an answer to what many middle class parents are wanting, but this segment of the population already tends to volunteer in their child's school, provide a pre-school education, read to their children, help their children with their homework, value a college education and so forth. They are not the ones who need it.

Nancy

Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
One thing I would suggest if anyone were going to reform public education would be to provide funding for lower and working class families to have opportunities for quality pre-kindergarten programs. Research has proven over and over that children who receive a quality pre-kindergarten education (consistant, warm and caring caregivers and teachers, lots of opportunity for learning through play, lots of opportunity for socialization, an environment with a sufficient amount of equipment such as blocks, dramatic play equipment, legos, art supplies, picture books, charts, writing equipment, etc., plenty of opportunities for language development, lots of read alouds daily, etc.) make a tremendous difference in both later academic achievement and social development.
We know what works to increase affective, cognitive, and achievement levels. Taxpayers spent $1 Billion on a longitudinal study that indisputably proves what works.

What happened? Why aren't schools using the methods that the $1 Billion study proves are successful?

Ed Schools killed them because they didn't fit into their romantic/progressivist/constructivist educational ideologies and philosophies.

ESP vol.15 n.1 The Story Behind Project Follow Through
ESP vol. 15 n.1 Follow Through: Why didn't we?

Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
They certainly can't do it in a vacuum - hence my question below, asking what you as adviser to the President and Sec'y of Education would suggest be the direction for change/reform.
I would suggest changing the title of office from the Sec'y of Education to the Secretary of Education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities