Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,875 times

Advertisements

I am finding this to be true presently but only with my science courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,732 times
While many schools do have this policy where courses 'expire', so to speak, I would not always take that policy as the final rule.

Talk to your academic advisers or heads of departments and you may be able to get around this policy (relatively easy). Also, if they won't just freely accept the credit from the class you have taken in the past, ask about placement tests which can allow you to get credit for the class based on your performance on the test, as opposed to retaking the entire course (which could be a waste of time - and money considering how much textbooks cost!)

Old 02-14-2009, 02:52 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,744 times
I had a classmate that had to take Intermediate Accounting I over again, because things had changed so much since she took it the first time. I think the first time she took it was before the Enron/Tyco scandals and the Sarbones Oxley Act happened. I felt bad for her, though. That's the hardest Accounting class, in my opinion.

Last edited by mjohnson4381; 02-14-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 03:29 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I had a classmate that had to take Intermediate Accounting I over again, because things had changed so much when she took it the first time. I think the first time she took it was before the Enron/Tyco scandels and the Sarbones Oxley Act happened. I felt bad for her, though. That's the hardest Accounting class, in my opinion.
Man that is aweful, having to take it twice, I feel bad for her. That class destroyed me and was one of only 2 Cs I ever recieved while at college.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:04 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,732 times
Yeah, im on Intermediate Accounting 2 now, and it seems to be easier than 1.
However, I hear there are some pretty big changes coming to GAAP that will affect the way accounting is taught but even so our classes and credits count.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:19 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Yeah, im on Intermediate Accounting 2 now, and it seems to be easier than 1.
However, I hear there are some pretty big changes coming to GAAP that will affect the way accounting is taught but even so our classes and credits count.
Yeah, Intermediate II was so much of a relief for me after Intermediate 1. I was devastated after Intermediate I. I wasn't sure if I could hack it after that. I took Federal Tax that same semester and I barely passed it, too. I actually didn't really pass Intermediate I, according to my calculations. My average was 68%, but for some reason, the professor passed me with a C. Which is kind of strange, because one of my classmates swears that he also averaged a 68% and she flunked him. One major difference between me and that particular classmate was that I not only went to every class (and he skipped a lot), but I would go to the professor's office and stay after class when she'd let me. Maybe that made her believe that I was more serious than he was. I don't know...I'm just glad it's over! Oh, and if this is any comfort to you, I'm in Advanced Accounting now and I have an A so far.

About the GAAP standards changing, I'm not surprised at all. Not necessarily a bad thing for us, the more complicated they make Accounting, the more they need accountants. Sometimes the standards do seem crazy complicated, but overall I'm pretty proud of the Accounting profession. We're like the Wall Street police!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Has anyone heard of certain college classes (math, English, etc) that after 5-6 years expire and have to be taken again? My brother said he had to retake some algebra and other classes due to that so was curious. I have taken some in past, and was wondering in I might need to take some again. Is it the same in all states?
I was always under the assumption that college credits had a shelf life of seven years, but a course that I took eleven years ago (in California) transfered to the college that I am at now (in Maine). There is a poster on CD that claims that credits that were twenty years old transfered, so I dunno.

I would suspect that some course material could become outdated (a computer science course taken in 1984, perhaps), but I am not sure about algebra. While there are advancements being made with theoretical algebra, your basic run-of-the-mill college algebra has remained unchanged for what, a couple hundred years?

*Algebra itself is thought to be between 3,000 and 4,000 years old.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
I completed all but one doctoral in education coursese and the dissertation. That was 15 years ago. Is there a college that will take these old couirses?
Thanks,
Judy

Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
How about the college you got 'em from?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I had a classmate that had to take Intermediate Accounting I over again, because things had changed so much since she took it the first time. I think the first time she took it was before the Enron/Tyco scandals and the Sarbones Oxley Act happened. I felt bad for her, though. That's the hardest Accounting class, in my opinion.
Intermediate Accounting was the sequence that business schools/department used to wash out accounting majors. For a time, being a CPA was one of the most lucrative positions you could find, so much of upper level of corporate management came from the accounting side. I took the CPA exam back in the late 80's, and the bulk of theory/practice of the test came from the Intermediate sequence. Advanced Acct was where we learned mergers/acquisition analysis. Reading this brings back memories of late Friday, all day Saturday study sessions, and absolutely working my ass off in order to do well. Problem is that they need fewer CPA's now that they've automated the field.

Last edited by loloroj; 03-21-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities