Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 01:25 PM

17 posts, read 55,995 times

Advertisements

I've always planned on getting a masters degree before I turned 30, and it looks like time is running out for me faster than I had expected (I'm 26 now).

I'm hoping to start in Sept of 2009. I haven't taken the GREs yet, and have been out of college for 3 years. (BS in Information Science) I graduated with a 3.31 GPA (3.7 major GPA). I would really like to go into something like Software Engineering. My biggest worry is my math grades were all Cs, and they weren't very intense courses. I also took math early on in my college career, and my grades were much better in my last two years.

I will have more than four solid years of work experience in the field by 9/09, as well as two more years interning during college. I don't know if that has any bearing on acceptance.

I haven't decided on a school yet, but I do want to be close to the action in one of the US's major technology centers (Boston, Seattle, New York, Silicon Valley, Austin, etc)

Should I first be focusing on taking some math classes as an undergrad before applying to graduate programs? Is my anticipated start date of Sept 2009 too soon?

Any advice would be very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Your best bet would be to look on the websites of the colleges you are going to, specifically the individual sites for your programs. They should have a detailed list of what they expect incoming graduate students to have. Some will have stricter requirements on what courses and degrees you need to possess before applying. This way you can know what you'll actually need to take.

Work experience is always a big help in graduate school. September 2009 isn't too soon, most graduate programs have the deadline for application somewhere in November or December, so if you get the ball rolling right now and take the GRE you should be good. I'd study for the GRE for at least a month if you want to do well, and get the application process started in the meantime. Again, the individual schools will have their respective deadlines listed on their websites. Some may have an earlier deadline if you want to be considered for financial aid and a later one if you don't.

FYI, I had 2 C's in math (Calc 1 and 3, but A's in Calc 2 and Differential Equations...go figure) and didn't have any problem getting in to a top-rate engineering grad school. However, I had made up for it in my latter 2.5 years of college by getting really good grades. I wouldn't worry about your undergrad grades very much, work experience will generally make up for that, espeically if you have work experience in the area you are trying to go to graduate school for.

So, what I'd do is start studying for the GRE so you can take it ASAP, while picking out schools at the same time, and get your apps in before the deadline if you want to start next fall. If you need to take a few extra courses, it may delay your start date by a semester or two, but you could always take a few next semester if you really need to.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM

Also, one other thing. Don't apply to too many schools. Application fees are expensive, it takes lots of time to fill out the apps and write statements of purpose, and you can only have your GRE scores sent to 4 schools without paying extra money. I'd narrow it down to 4 or less, including one "safety" school that you are pretty sure you can get in to. I only applied to 2 and was quite happy doing it that way, I saved a LOT of time by narrowing down the choices off the bat, compared to one of my friends who applied to 6 and spent hours and hours on applications and getting transcripts/test scores sent out.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Great advice from OA. I'd rep you OA, but I did so on another thread recently, so they won't let me rep you again so soon.

To the OP, it sounds as if you are doing everything right, even down to checking grad schools in cities that are major centers for your field. If I'm reading your post correctly, it appears that the field you have been working in successfully is the one in which you plan to go to grad school. That's a very good indication that you are well qualified in the field, and that some mediocre math grades early in college were more a matter of getting into the swing of college than a question of your aptitude for math, so everything looks good.

OA has given good advice. The only thing I would add is that it would be good to make sure not to put too much pressure on yourself to follow a schedule precisely. It sounds as if you are moving ahead and doing what you need to do to earn a graduate degree in timely fashion. You are still young. If you get the degree by the age of 30, that's great, but if it takes a couple of years longer, in the course of your entire life that won't make any difference. Keep moving ahead as you are, but avoid pressuring yourself to finish school by 30 absolutely. Also, best of luck as you pursue your education.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extBave6373 View Post
I've always planned on getting a masters degree before I turned 30, and it looks like time is running out for me faster than I had expected (I'm 26 now).
It is good that you have the desire to gain at least a Masters and that you set a goal to receive one by the age of thirty, but I think that you need to relax a bit on your age cap as times have drasitcally changed over the last two decades and you are not going to be edged out by a younger crowd. And, you should also note that you can get a Masters in under two years, not four to six like with a PhD.

Quote:
I'm hoping to start in Sept of 2009. I haven't taken the GREs yet, and have been out of college for 3 years.
Starting in Sept. '09 is realistic, although you need to take your GRE and fill out apps within the next couple of months.

Quote:
I would really like to go into something like Software Engineering. My biggest worry is my math grades were all Cs, and they weren't very intense courses. I also took math early on in my college career, and my grades were much better in my last two years.
You are going to at the very least need to know discrete mathematics, or be able to know enough math in general to be able to BS your way through it (and then hit the books once in grad school). Sorry to say, but math and almost anything to do with computer programing or software development go hand in hand.

Quote:
I will have more than four solid years of work experience in the field by 9/09, as well as two more years interning during college. I don't know if that has any bearing on acceptance.
Actual work experience is a definite plus, but so are the college courses that you took. If you do not have the building blocks (certain courses) under your belt from undergrad, then it is pointless to apply to grad school for a program that you are not prepared for. Your work experience may override your poor math skills, but if it does, then be prepared to take some serious math courses while you are in grad school.

Quote:
I haven't decided on a school yet, but I do want to be close to the action in one of the US's major technology centers (Boston, Seattle, New York, Silicon Valley, Austin, etc)
Most people do not go to work in the same city that they graduated in and I can say two things about Boston; one is that it is a major college town (over 70 colleges in the area) and companies have more then enough cream of the crop graduates to choose from and two: it is a college town and everyone and their grandmother are competing to get into its' schools. Without your experience in math, you will be at a serious disadvantage if you want to pursue your selected path.

Quote:
Should I first be focusing on taking some math classes as an undergrad before applying to graduate programs? Is my anticipated start date of Sept 2009 too soon?

Any advice would be very appreciated!
I assumed that you graduated three years ago........but I guess that you still have some time left to go. Yes, if you can, I would take as much upper level math classes that you can handle. I wouldn't worry so much on getting A's in them as it would be better to get a C in a tough math course then to receive an A in an easy one.

By the way, what is your undergrad major?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks ogre. I'll give you a rep point though, haha. I went through the whole grad school app thing a couple of years ago myself, and now have just 8 more months of grad school left (thankfully)!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Wow, thanks for all the info! I was not expecting this much!

I know if I had a chance to take those math courses again, I'd be able to do better. I took two Statistics courses senior year, and had As in both of them. It just required discipline and study time, which is something I learned how to do during my undergrad.

My undergrad was a BS in Information Science, with a concentration in Distributed Programming. It included 4 C++ programming courses, as well as 2 Java, and a bunch of SQL. It was more oriented to information management than specifically programming.

I am working as a Java developer currently and I have been realizing that while I am able to perform my job well, there is a lot more to learn about programming techniques and optimization.

If it takes me going back to take some undergrad classes to get into a 'better' program, I see that as something totally worth it, even if it delays my start date.

I've got a lot of work to do. I have been going through GRE practice books for about a month now. That stuff isn't very easy! But it is kind of fun to learn.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,287 times
Also check to see if your employer supports advanced degrees, that might help you along the way.

Best of luck!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Also check to see if your employer supports advanced degrees, that might help you along the way.
Also check out if they'll help out with the extra math courses, if you decide to take them. My employer characterized my classes as "training" and is paying for my masters in applied economics. It's worth a shot.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Also check out if they'll help out with the extra math courses, if you decide to take them. My employer characterized my classes as "training" and is paying for my masters in applied economics. It's worth a shot.
They do offer a small amount toward grad school, I will need to ask about the "training" pre-reqs, as that could be a really good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities