Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,894 times

Advertisements

Experience is what you need the most after your four year degree. You could go for a masters right away if you are interested to teach, but still you must get two to three years experiecences for teaching. Don t get a masters degree untill you get four to five years exprience because your boss could only hold a Bachelor with ten years of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:19 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
This is all great information. I recently graduated with a degree in Finance and am having difficulty finding employment. I was deciding whether or not to continue my education and attend CUNY Baruch in NYC or stick it out and continue my search for employment.

Supposedly, this is a great public school in NYC that places many graduates in great positions. What do you guys think?

I received this information from a Sr. Financial Analyst working with a prominent wine & spirits company who is making about $140K with just a BS in Finance. I'm guessing by pure luck he has gotten this job, since he used a headhunter.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I'll worry about getting into Chicago. I just started the program; so it's obvious that I have a few questions, and little knowledge, but that's why I ask.. to remedy that problem. I know that you'd make more money as a Chicago MBA, but that doesn't answer my question. The question is; is Business Administration even useful toward accounting because it's a very general degree; and it doesn't particularly cover my field all that well. Where do people with Chicago MBAs typically end up working?
They become investment bankers, hedge fund associates, strategic consultants, marketers/product managers/financial analysts/HR associates/production managers at Fortune 500 companies. This is all information that you could get from your school, by the way.

Working in business analysis and management is very different from working in technical accounting. If you want to start in a Big Four in internal auditing and eventually spend your days doing forensic accounting, tax accounting, running external reporting for a corporation, or revenue recognition consulting for clients...then by all means, go for the Masters in Accounting. If you want to do one of the things I first mentioned, then go for the MBA.

By the way...the MBA will be much more valuable if you first get some work experience. It's an eminently practical degree, but it isn't going to give you a formula that tells you how to be successful in your next job. You need experience to be able to put the information you will receive in proper context. Most of your peers at top schools would have 4ish years of experience, perhaps a bit more. If you had no experience, they would have an advantage and a salary premium over you when it comes to interviewing and job offers.

With all that said, a foundation in accounting is a very good thing to have, and having a CPA looks good even if you eventually go into other business areas. I personally would do undergrad in accounting, get some experience and pass the CPA, then return for the MBA. That is a powerful tool kit for career success.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,567 times
Go for a MBA program with an accounting concentration. Best of both worlds and you will make more money!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities