U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM

1,916 posts, read 5,423,997 times

Advertisements

Okay guys.. I'm sure you've heard this one before! I've seen all sorts of answers, but I want this to be a little more personal, since it's for me. I'm still two and a half years from even graduating, but I've been thinking a lot lately about what I'm doing after college, and I just want some feedback. Which is better an MS in Accounting or a MBA at a reputable school (University of Chicago)? A lot of people say it's not worth going to a small program for a MBA, but U of C is ranked pretty highly.. number 1 in BusinessWeek, etc. I also understand that the MBA is a more general-purpose degree, but doesn't that open up my options in the future? or does it actually close them because I'm not as specialized in Accounting? I intend to become CPA licensed regardless of which I choose. Any input would be great; thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 10:03 AM

2,306 posts, read 4,753,629 times
What will your bachelor's be in?

Old 09-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Accounting.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 PM

87 posts, read 409,703 times
LOL

A MBA from Chicago GSB will get you a starting salary of $130,000.

The best MS Accounting program in the country will get you $60,000 max, maybe a couple grand more in NYC.

People who get a Chicago MBA do not, with very few exceptions, work for CPA firms.

It's good that you're thinking about this early, because with the knowledge of the business world you're demonstrating at this point you have an exactly 0.00% chance of actually being admitted to the Chicago MBA.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswedc View Post
LOL

A MBA from Chicago GSB will get you a starting salary of $130,000.

The best MS Accounting program in the country will get you $60,000 max, maybe a couple grand more in NYC.

People who get a Chicago MBA do not, with very few exceptions, work for CPA firms.

It's good that you're thinking about this early, because with the knowledge of the business world you're demonstrating at this point you have an exactly 0.00% chance of actually being admitted to the Chicago MBA.
I'll worry about getting into Chicago. I just started the program; so it's obvious that I have a few questions, and little knowledge, but that's why I ask.. to remedy that problem. I know that you'd make more money as a Chicago MBA, but that doesn't answer my question. The question is; is Business Administration even useful toward accounting because it's a very general degree; and it doesn't particularly cover my field all that well. Where do people with Chicago MBAs typically end up working?

Last edited by analyticalkeys; 09-15-2008 at 05:37 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 06:18 AM

485 posts, read 1,221,027 times
Most MBA's go into Finance and Marketing not Accounting.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 AM

Add to that consulting. That's one place you will find MBA grads from schools like Chicago in an accounting firm. Especially those with stong strategy/operatings practices (pretty much just Deloitte, but everyone else is trying to expand again). But in those positions you're not an accountant at all.

The only real place where, as an accountant, it would also be helpful for you to be a MBA, is a very specialized crossover practice, such as transfer pricing, which combines econ and tax.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,331,011 times
I'd go for the MBA concentration in tax or accounting. Seems like a lot more people looking for that degree than the MS.

Also, make sure you get your CPA BEFORE you go to grad school and get a job in accounting as well.

I am just about to graduate with my AA in accounting and I wanted to get a job in accounting before I started working on my BA. I am having a hell of a time even getting interviews and this is for bottom of the barrel accounting jobs too. I am applying for clerk jobs that pay in the 8-12$ range and I am getting no where.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 PM

26,549 posts, read 47,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswedc View Post
Was this nasty, snarky remark really necessary?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Was this nasty, snarky remark really necessary?
Well, it's true.

Sometimes being nice is a disservice. Someone needed to tell the original poster he/she has no idea what they're talking about. Asking this kind of question in an actual interview would be disastrous. Better to hear it now and go into the job hunting process in a few years an impressive, informed candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities