U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:29 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,005,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkosiek View Post
I'm pretty certain that PSU has the best program in the country for meteorology, and that hurts saying it because I hate that school. That said, its not near a major city so you'd be SOL there.
I know it sucks because I live in Pittsburgh now and PSU has campuses right around here, but only the main campus has the meteorology program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:02 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,326,187 times
At the Princeton Review's website, they have a feature where you can enter your criteria for a college and get a list of schools that meet those criteria. Here is the link to their website: Test Prep: GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, ACT, and More | The Princeton Review.

I don't know anything about the reputation of their programs, but I know that the U. of Massachusetts at Lowell and Plymouth State U. in New Hampshire have meteoroloty programs. UMass does better than Plymouth State at meeting your criterion of proximity to a major city, as Lowell is in an outlying section of the Boston metro area, while Plymouth, NH, is a couple of hours up the road from Boston.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM

53 posts, read 293,465 times
not in the right area but Mississippi State University has one

Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,929,451 times
Northern Illinois university in Dekalb IL, 1-1/2 hours outside chicago, has one. I believe Tom Skilling is involved with it somehow. I know he mentions he gets interns from there once in a while on the program.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,256,887 times
The three best are Penn State, Florida State, and Oklahoma.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:43 PM

918 posts, read 2,073,960 times
UW-Madison has an excellent program. They designed the first weather satellite and the department has its own 15 story building. You also get a great college town and highly respected degree.

UW-Madison Department of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences

Old 09-26-2008, 04:12 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,085,251 times
from someone who works in the meteorology field....here are some of the most common schools I hear about.

- Lyndon State College in Vermont gets very high marks for its focus on forecasting
- SUNY at Albany -- more focused on research/synoptics
- Plymouth State College in New Hampshire -- nice small school
- Millersville Univ (eastern PA)
- SUNY at Oswego -- a must for any liking lake effect snow
- Cornell
- Penn State -- very top notch
- North Carolina State
- Florida State

Not in the east but good larger schools...
Okla Univ....Univ Wisconsin...Univ of Arizona...Univ of Washington (Seattle)...
Texas A/M....

the whole list...

WEATHER SCHOOLS

Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,735 times
Actually, Lyndon in Vermont has the top meteorology program. They beat MIT and Penn State all the time in weather forecasting competitions. And Jim Cantore is not the only big time graduate. The weather forecaster for the White House is a Lyndon grad, as is the forecaster for Antarctica (Lyndon grads historically always hold that position), the head forecaster for ABC news, the head forecasters for the Air Force (the Air Force does long distance learning with Lyndon). Also, Cantore teaches a class every semester long distance with Lyndon students and he comes to campus all the time. Great guy. The Met program at Lyndon is also rumored to be offering a second Met option, one that does not require calculus, and they are working with the Sustainability Studies program to create a new global climate option. And they are also getting a new building with a 360 degree observatory. Mt. Washington is right down the road, which has the worst weather in the world, and Lyndon students get to work up there once a year. Check out the 2009 Storm Conference. Lyndon runs that. They also get their students into amazing internships.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 PM

475 posts, read 1,148,101 times
North Carolina State University in Raleigh NC does.

Opps I just saw someone posted that one.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:51 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,716,271 times
Florida State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities