Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:30 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,395,429 times

Advertisements

An online adjunct professor incorrectly told a student that Australia isn't a country and gave her a failing grade, prompting Southern New Hampshire University to replace the instructor.

Buzzfeed News reports that the 27-year-old student in Idaho was assigned to compare American social norms to that of another country. She chose to study social media use in Australia, but the professor gave her a zero on that portion of the assignment, saying Australia is a continent, not a country.

Professor replaced after insisting Australia isn't a country - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:25 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,633,543 times
I'd argue SNHU isn't a real college!

Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,682,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Why? It's accredited and it looks like it offers both on-campus and online programs. One whackadoodle professor (who was fired) doesn't make the college not real.

I'm more concerned that someone with an advanced degree in sociology (or a high school diplolma, for that matter....) doesn't know that Australia is a country. And not only that, but when the student pointed it out the first time, the professor continued to argue. It wasn't like she had a complete brain lapse and then when the student spoke up, said, "Oh, I'm so mortified; I have no idea what I was thinking." Instead, she dug in her heels and insisted. I don't know how old the professor was, if she is suffering from dementia or what, but that's really odd.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:27 PM

16,979 posts, read 21,633,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Why? It's accredited and it looks like it offers both on-campus and online programs. One whackadoodle professor (who was fired) doesn't make the college not real.

I'm more concerned that someone with an advanced degree in sociology (or a high school diplolma, for that matter....) doesn't know that Australia is a country. And not only that, but when the student pointed it out the first time, the professor continued to argue. It wasn't like she had a complete brain lapse and then when the student spoke up, said, "Oh, I'm so mortified; I have no idea what I was thinking." Instead, she dug in her heels and insisted. I don't know how old the professor was, if she is suffering from dementia or what, but that's really odd.
If they are advertising themselves as an online college.........most employers laugh and move on!

Old 02-11-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
If they are advertising themselves as an online college.........most employers laugh and move on!
This is 2018. That's not the case for non-profit, accredited online universities (which SNHU is not... they are a brick-and-mortar university with an online program). Most b&m universities offer online programs anyway.

https://www.usnews.com/higher-educat...asters-degrees

Quote:
In the past, "you would see a degree from online and kind of toss that resume in the trash," she says. "That's just not what's happening in HR these days. They are becoming widely accepted, especially from established schools."
Quote:
Chris Vennitti, president of the professional staffing firm HireStrategy, agrees that for candidates looking for a career in a defined field within business, a specialized online program can be "a great way to go."

"It's very widely accepted now, even commonplace, with employers," he says.

Nearly a decade ago, getting a degree from an online program would potentially signal to employers that a job candidate didn't take his or her education seriously, Vennitti says. That's completely changed, he says, as employers today view online degrees as legitimate ways to further a career while continuing to work full time.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,099,131 times
Quote:
Numerous brick and mortar schools offer on-line degrees now. It is not unusual anymore -- it is the norm.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:55 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
Lol, the crazy stuff I have heard professors say...

I do not expect professors to be right all the time, but when proven wrong, accept it and even commend the student for researching and providing facts. Some professors have too much pride, entitlement, and are even pretentious.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:46 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,716,568 times
Quote:

Seriously, there are for profits that are MUCH higher quality. It shouldn't be a school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

Do you know anything about this school and the quality of the education, and the quality of the students? It's a well known running joke in New England.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,465,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Seriously, there are for profits that are MUCH higher quality. It shouldn't be a school.

Do you know anything about this school and the quality of the education, and the quality of the students? It's a well known running joke in New England.
I think everyone has a valid point here.

1) Just because a college offers online courses does not mean it is inferior. This is a growing trend that many brick & mortars are even following.

2) Some colleges offer poor quality educational services regardless of whether they are online or not. For profits tend to be the worst of the bunch.

I personally can't speak for SNHU, but perhaps they do have a reputation for poorer educational offerings.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 PM

No, I don’t know anything about the school. I thought the comment about it not being a real school was because the professor was an airhead or because they offered online degrees. I’m from New England and I never heard anything negative about it, but we moved south 12 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities