Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,119,228 times

Advertisements

I hold a few degrees and my Masters to date puts in 60k in the rears. If I paid it off in 10 years my monthly bill would be a tad over $700 so I opted for the 30 yr plan and $325/month using an upward progressive scale....Yep I will probably never see the bill stamped "Paid in full". Ph.D. or MD will put me really in debt and as I look around my neighbor just achieved her Ph.D. in teaching and she will owe $700/month for 30 years...Her current salary was just hiked to a whopping $60,000 / year...
YIPES...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Also, just to point out regarding doctoral debt is that PhD's in clinical and counseling are almost always free.

Again, you need to figure out what is best for you. I knew I wanted to get a PhD, but if you only want the masters, you can definitely find a way to make it work well. Don't go into a PhD program unless you are fully dedicated.
Hi, I am getting my BA in psychology and I am in my junior year, getting ready to apply to grad schools in a few months. I want to get my Psy.D in cilinical psychology and then go on to be a counsoler... What did you mean by Ph.D's were almost always free? would you recommed me going for my Ph.D? I know its more into the research feild and I want to do more of the hands on working with patients so I decided on the Psy.D... do you have any other recomendations?

thank you in advance..

Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,074 times
Default Consolidate!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Salary can start very similar, but can increase much more if you have a doctorate and are in private practice. That being said, if you go the PsyD route you also have 4+ more years of loans. When you get your doctorate in counseling, you can pretty much do the same things as a clinical psychologist, and you will be competing for jobs with them. To get a doctorate, you would generally just apply for the PhD or PsyD straight out of undergrad...no masters needed (you get it along the way). Otherwise, you can get your masters and then apply for the doctorate, but you usually loose 1 out of 2 of the years for your masters (e.g., 1 year will count towards doctorate, 1 won't), so I wouldn't recommend that if you know for sure that you want the doctorate and can get into a doctoral program
All of this being said, don't go into the field thinking its a money maker. When you get your doctorate (so after 5-7 years), you have to do at least a 1 year long postdoc to get licensed. These generally pay (on average) 30K. If you are lucky and don't do a clinical postdoc (so do research or teach), you may make 50K when you are out. Not bad, but considering I make the same as my much younger cousins with just BA's (who just got out of undergrad), you don't do it for the money. For the next several years after that, the salary is about 50K-70K on the absolute high end (more about 50K). And, if you go to a PsyD program, you'll likely end up with 100-150K in loans, which is more than $600/month that you'll have to repay.
I'm not discouraging you at all, as this is my field and I LOVE it, but I am certainly not doing it for the money and I just want you to be informed. Let me know if you have other questions.

----You can consolidate your loans now.. So you might want to look into that. It will bring your expensive loan payments down to something far more manageable. Check it out. Seriously.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,797,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlchick View Post
Just to concur - PhDs from APA accredited schools are "free." They pay your tuition and pay you a small stipend.
Not always true. I graduated from an APA-accredited program and my tuition was NOT paid. It really depends on the school/program you choose.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,342 times
Can I take the LCPC without ever needing to take the LPC if i already have my clinical supervision hours? Ive heard from others that I'm required to have my lpc in order to be eligible for the LCPC. Is that true? I currently live in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities