U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 PM

11 posts, read 108,293 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently getting my Masters in Education and I am thinking about applying for a Doctorate.

I have been looking at either a Doctorate in Education (EdD) or my PhD in Education. My focus would be on K-12 education.

Can someone explain the differences between the two. Also in your opinion, which one would be more of a benefit in the long run?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 04:11 AM

603 posts, read 2,071,484 times
I investigated the same question several years ago. There didn't seem to be much difference between the actual classes except I think the Ph.D. program was more research-based and theoretical and the Ed.D was more practical. There did seem to be a bit of snobbery in universities-- Ph.D.s look down on the Ed.D.s.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 AM

5,411 posts, read 9,564,419 times
From what I have seen, the Ph.D. tends to be more credit hours than the Ed.D.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:33 PM

130 posts, read 397,519 times
Depends on what you want to do with the degree. Do you want to do research? Or work within the K-12 arena? For research, PhD is probably a better fit.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 PM

74 posts, read 254,642 times
It really all depends on what your overall future goals are; if you wish to work in a school setting, minus college/university then an Ed.D is the way to go. I am in the dissertation portion of my Ed.D and just finished my course work last year.

You are correct in assuming that Ph.D’s may look down towards and Ed.D. On a school level an Ed.D is highly regarded, at a university level usually isn’t given the same credit.

It seems like the Ed.D is meant for those who are working in education while Ph.D’s tend to be researchers and skip right to the university level to teach. That is one major problem with a lot of college professors that teach education classes yet never stepped foot in a classroom as a ‘in the trenches’ teacher. It’s not always true, but it happens more often than not in my own personal experience.

Getting an Ed.D take less time than a Ph.D. I completed my course work in a cohort setting in two years, full time, summers too. I went to class twice a week during the school year (I am a H.S. teacher) and more so during the summer time. The dissertation portion takes about a year of research of paper/presentation building. Remember that you MUST be good at giving presentations to defend your thesis and dissertation. You can be the best writer and researcher but if you can't defend it and think quickly on your feet, you will get yourself in a lot of trouble quickly!

My friend I work with has a Ph.D and it took her much longer while working full time, something along the lines of 5-6 years.
Also, say you work in a H.S. setting, your Ph.D won’t get you any extra pay or recognition than an Ed.D.

So in short, it just depends on what your long terms goals are.

Last edited by Npk07021971; 10-01-2008 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 10-01-2008, 05:44 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,611,296 times
It also depends on the University. I took more research hours to get an Ed.D. than a friend of mine did to get a PhD. I also had to take a research proficiency exam.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM

11 posts, read 108,293 times
I thank all of you for your insight...it is really helpful!

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 16,708 times
E.d.d is given by higher schools and Ph.d is given by University ...so dull minds can also do an E.d.d. compared to intellectuals doing Ph.d's.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,470,070 times
The previous posters are correct that it really depends on your long term goals. If you want to eventually become university faculty, then a PhD will be more appropriate. If you want to remain in a k-12 setting/school district as a teacher or administrator, then an EdD is more practical.
I'm not sure I agree that those with a PhD look down on those with an EdD. Perhaps at some universities, but not at mine (which happens to be a top tier research institution). I am just finishing up my PhD and haven't felt that way at all toward anyone regardless of their level of education; nor have the profs I've worked with seemed that way.
Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:50 PM

315 posts, read 825,794 times
I had one professor at community college he had a EdD (along with 3 masters, 2 bachelors and about 5 associates). He also does research and is the chair of the Social Sciences Department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or