Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:54 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I agree. There's not enough information to judge. Relevant experience, whether paid or volunteer, would be a big factor. It also depends on the colleges each attended. Candidate #1 could have graduated with honors in three years from a third-rate commuter school where the courses are not very challenging for all we know while Candidate #2 could have worked himself through school for six years at a more competitive state or private university.
I would add that candidate 1 would be better off graduating in 4 years and having a couple relevant internships of where he or she wanted to work. Graduating in three years by taking summer school just isn't that impressive. I kind of reminds me of those kids that graduate H.S. at age 14, only to go on to some college no one ever heard of. Vs. just getting extremely high grades and going on to an elite college (possibly with a scholarship) on a normal pace. What's the hurry?

I would also add that candidate 2 would have probably been better off by taking student loans and graduating in four years, than six. I think most employers wouldn't give that much credit for 6 years experience as a cashier unless: 1) it was a job in retail, 2) needed the job to support a family, or 3) was the family business, so he or she couldn't just abandon the position. That person would have gotten a two year jump start on a professional career and possibly obtained better grades which would have opened up more opportunities.

Just my .02.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
ROTFL you are so cold blooded. I found college to be challenging and difficult and I only worked some of the time. Show some concern and care.
Hey, I'm not recommending anything I haven't done myself. To me, true compassion has nothing to do with cosseting somebody and everything to do with keeping them on the right track. After all, the worst thing you can do to a person is to cripple him by making his life easy in the short term.

And, Artsy, you yourself talk in your posts about how you're always hitting the nightclubs and always finding some new guy. So it's not like your studies were your top priority.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
If you were an employer what candidate would you be more impressed with: (these are real people)

Candidate #1: Graduated with honors in three years but taking 18 credit hours per semester and summer school, but never worked while in college

Candidate #2 Graduated with a "b" Average but worked full time at a grocery store as a cashier full time but took six years to graduate.

All other aspects of their backgrounds are the same (communication skills, appearance, poise, etc.)

absolutely, hands down, Candidate 2

across the board every job i've ever gotten, and every person i've ever hired as a manager myself, the work experience is what got me the job, and the work experience is what got the job offered to a candidate

i have told my kids that from middle school on through college, and they are already finding it to be true. Successful work experience shows they can get hired, do a job, and walk away with a decent reference, that to an employer is GOLD

While grades and completing classes shows, well, that you are good at taking classes. An employer doesn't want a successful student but a successful employee.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-10-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I would be concerned about hiring someone who took six years to get through school. That is what, only three classes per semester, and still only a B average? Regardless of work experience, taking six years for college doesn't help anything.
If the person does his resume correctly, it would be easy to infer why it took 6 years. I'd give credit to someone who worked to put themself through college and likely has few or no student loans.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:39 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Candidate #2 is at a big disadvantage because candidate #1 will already have three years experience on them by the time they graduate.
The scenario presented indicates that you are viewing the candidates at the same time, probably for the same position. #1 doesn't have the three years experience you assume.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If all that person has to do is study without having to actually earn money? Absolutely and without question. I graduated cumlaude in four while holding down a full-time job for my first two years, and 30-hour weeks the second two years.
You're so smart. Golly gee you are awesome.

It also depends on your major. Try graduating in 3 years in Chemical Engineering with honors.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
You're so smart. Golly gee you are awesome.

It also depends on your major. Try graduating in 3 years in Chemical Engineering with honors.
So? I was a double major in Economics and English Literature at a pretty rigorous college. I wrote A LOT of papers.

But while you left class and headed to the library, I left class and went to my job as a reporter. I pretty much guarantee you that whenever you knocked off studying for the day, I was still at work, and would still be there long after you were done. Heck, go to school a couple of summer semesters, and you're done in three. Not knocking the difficulty of your major--quite the opposite. But it still isn't anywhere close to as demanding as a student who has to pay his own freight.

Hence my original position. If mom and dad are footing your bills, it's a lot easier than working your way through.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
I would choose the second candidate. Some people have to take longer nowadays because it's so expensive and not everyone comes from a home that can afford to pay it all and you don't have to work.

If you can get an internship or too that is good too. Unfortunately, when you are in school sometimes retail is the only part time or full time job that will be flexible enough to fit your needs.

Shoot, my last few semesters I had to go to school from 8-3pm and then work at Barnes in Noble from 4-midnight. I did that many days a week because I needed the money and it was the only job that was flexible enough. I think as long as you had any work experience then it showed you were able to balance work and school.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
How would anyone even know how long it took for a person to graduate college? Just put your graduation year on your resume and that's it (unless you're older and that is to your disadvantage). Don't put a high school graduation year on the resume. No one cares.

I took 5 years to graduate college (in the 1980s) and not one person has ever asked me how long it took. Work experience was asked about and that did natter.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:06 PM

17 posts, read 819,447 times
I was kind of wondering that also.

Who in the heck ever asks or cares how long it took to go through college?

Person A may just had it as an ultimate goal to get out in his/her desired field, no problem with that.

Person B may not have cared so much, was not as smart, or had circumstances that required he/she to work. But I really do not see the relevance in working in regards to who gets hired. Working in my opinion really proves nothing if the job was not related to the degree field and the new job as an entry level position.

Plus, a B (3.0) average? It better be in engineering or something, no way in comparison with the other person. Person B should have set his priorities straight.

I already have 12 years of work under my belt and I am in college now, not working! Its like one long vacation to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities