Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:11 AM

197 posts, read 734,850 times

Advertisements

I want to add that 'career departments' at colleges and universities these days pretty much stink. Mostly what you will get from them are references to twenty year old books that tell you how to write a resume, and if you're lucky the career department will actually have tried to procure internships and REAL jobs in anticipating of students graduating. Otherwise, don't waste your time on those jokers. You'll get more for your mileage by registering at the county's employment center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:18 PM

16 posts, read 37,379 times
This is a story I've heard too often. I hate that people put so much stress on kids to attend college anyway. College is good for one type of person, the person who has grown up their whole life knowing what they want to do and they need college to do it. All these other kids go into in to buy time until they figure out what they want, or go for these ridiculous majors and then work in a totally unrelated field. All of my friends spent 4 years partying, and digging themselves into debt while I went straight into the working field. Or worse, they go to college for 4 years and become a teacher. Again, if it's what you always wanted to do then great, but I never spent a day in college and make way more than most teachers starting salary. I've got a great job, a wonderful family, a nice house and all by 24. I'm not saying it's smart to go without college, or that it's easy. It's tough, but not impossible, and so I know I'll never pressure my child to go unless it's what SHE wants.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I thought college was boring, strange, and cult like.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I thought college was boring, strange, and cult like.
Of course you would.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 PM

Well I'm making it through graduate school no matter how boring, philistine, and cult like it tends to be........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Of course you would.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
For the most, universities are bureaucracies that sometimes treat you like disposable objects that can and will be replaced. I did not either like the high costs that are set up for higher education in the country. If you consider that a private university in Europe will charge no more than one thousand Euros a year, the fees we pay in America are frankly ridiculous for the courses we take. Also, I often did not like to be taught courses by graduate students who did not really know a lot about the topic they were teaching.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondina View Post
Also, I often did not like to be taught courses by graduate students who did not really know a lot about the topic they were teaching.
That's exactly why I went to a small school that didn't have TA's. Now I'm taking a part-time graduate course where they brought in a 3rd year PhD student who obviously isn't that great of a teacher. Frankly, most of us are more than a little P.O.'d

Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 PM

I've had younger professors with doctorate degrees that were terrible professors. OMG .... awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
That's exactly why I went to a small school that didn't have TA's. Now I'm taking a part-time graduate course where they brought in a 3rd year PhD student who obviously isn't that great of a teacher. Frankly, most of us are more than a little P.O.'d

Old 06-28-2009, 09:12 PM

221 posts, read 379,663 times
Live Professional Stage Theatre in Chelsea, Michigan at The Purple Rose Theatre Company Send your script to this place started by Jeff Daniels. It is in Michigan. They do Mid-west stuff and EVERYone gets noticed, guaranteed.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:13 PM

221 posts, read 379,663 times
Hey...become a priest. give up the gf. DO SOMETHING with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities