Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:55 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the degree requirements for the school I plan to go to. It requires 30 credits that are free electives.

A friend of mine told me I could choose a minor in lieu of this, and it wouldn't take any more time than if I just took the electives. I'd rather do this, I think..

Is this right?

Do most schools let you minor in whatever or does it have to be directly related to your degree, like a concentration or something?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Does anyone really care about your minor anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
No, your minor doesn't have to have anything to do with your major. I wound up with a business minor, though, because for my journalism major we had to take Stats, Accounting and Econ anyway, so I just stuck with the rest of the classes needed for the minor.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I was looking at the degree requirements for the school I plan to go to. It requires 30 credits that are free electives.

A friend of mine told me I could choose a minor in lieu of this, and it wouldn't take any more time than if I just took the electives. I'd rather do this, I think..
Is this right?

Do most schools let you minor in whatever or does it have to be directly related to your degree, like a concentration or something?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Get your advice from your college advisor, not your friends. Does this friend even go to the same college you are loooking at? All schools are different in this regard. Some require a minor, some don't have minors.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 PM

103 posts, read 269,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Get your advice from your college advisor, not your friends.
That's exactly what I would've said. Your friends may not have all the information your counselor would have. Speak to your counselor. After all, he/she is there to advise you.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 PM

274 posts, read 605,973 times
Depends on the school, your major, what degree you are going for, transfer credit, etc. Can you see what classes you need to take to graduate online through your school's website?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Get your advice from your college advisor, not your friends. Does this friend even go to the same college you are loooking at? All schools are different in this regard. Some require a minor, some don't have minors.
Great advice. The university where I graduated did not recognize "minors".

Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Well in fact, she did. She went to the same community college, and the same state university (same campus, etc), and graduated last year... Her degree is even similar to what I'm working towards.

So I mentioned it to my friend on the phone (the electives thing) and she said, basically, "Oh, you can choose a minor instead of taking all those elective...." then we had to hang up before she could elaborate.

Having no clue about it at all (regarding minors), and being still 2 years away from that university, I thought I'd ask here. I have an advisor at the community college who is very kind and encouraging but I have difficulty understanding her. I think I need to switch. Her communication is, well, odd... and I often still feel confused after I leave her office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
Depends on the school, your major, what degree you are going for, transfer credit, etc. Can you see what classes you need to take to graduate online through your school's website?
Yes, I looked up the info for my degree at that university, and it said the degree plan requires 120 credit hours, and out of those, 30 semester credit hours were electives.

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 10-22-2008 at 11:50 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 06:57 AM

620 posts, read 1,950,575 times
Maybe your friend was encouraging you to go with something that inspires you instead of taking a bunch of random electives. She could have been telling you that if you have to take x amount of electives then you might as well go for a minor.

I can only speak of my situation. When I was in college, I had to take a couple of history courses. Well, I decided if I had already taken nine hours of history, I might as well go ahead and take three more history classes. I ended up with a minor in history ( 18 hours). It counted for the total amount of hours that I had to have to graduate. In fact, I was one class short for my minor and one of the professors said I could do independent study to get the minor. I loved the independent study class! Some professors will work with you to help you get what you need.

If you are able to pick up a minor-I would suggest it. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post

It depends on your school. Mine didn't have minors, although for some majors you could do a concentration which did have to be related. Typically minors often don't have to be related to your major. It sounds like she was saying that you can gear all or most of your electives in a certain direction and they'll qualify as a minor.

As for whether people care, I don't know. I started out as a double-major, so I had enough international affairs courses to qualify for a minor in other schools, so on my resume I just put "unofficial concentration" or "unofficial minor". If anyone asks, I elaborate. In general the impression I've gotten is that the minor isn't really that important compared to your major, especially if it's not at all related to your career interests.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:46 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Pretend that you are interviewing a new graduate for a position in your business.

Which sounds better?
"I have a major in ______ and a minor in ______"
Or
"I have a major in______ plus a bunch of other stuff."

It probably wouldn't matter to most, but it could mean the difference in being chosen over another equally qualified person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities