U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 10-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Location: Portland, OR
125 posts, read 445,830 times
Reputation: 50


I always thought you needed a PhD to teach in college- or even to be in college administration, but have been informed otherwise - Does anyone know what the difference is? (Besides the pay, possibility of tenure, and the PhD after your name?).

I'm asking because someday I know I'd like to teach in a university setting or become an admissions advisor, or an advisor for students of a particular dept. and am wondering if I can do this with only a masters
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Location: Chicago, IL
9,000 posts, read 10,162,995 times
Reputation: 3486
It depends on the college. I know at most community colleges you can sometimes teach with a master's. It just varies.
Just look at what career you want to go into and look for employment ads.

Best of luck!!
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Status: "Retired 1y 10m" (set 17 days ago)
Location: Alaska
5,218 posts, read 11,977,185 times
Reputation: 3676
When I was in graduate school I knew of one prof who only had a masters degree. I think he was allowed to teach because he was working towards his PhD.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Location: Ohio
1,132 posts, read 1,653,042 times
Reputation: 390
I THINK that in order to get the full professor status, tenure etc...you need a phd...don't quote me on that though.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Location: Leaving fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada
2,112 posts, read 4,226,096 times
Reputation: 2761
Not in today's job market. If you want to work in that an academic environment, you need to pursue a doctoral degree.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 PM
901 posts, read 2,105,302 times
Reputation: 546
I teach college and I have a Master's degree. I am an adjunct.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Location: Blackwater Park
1,716 posts, read 5,339,518 times
Reputation: 549
Too many factors to consider: individual school, position title, classes taught, etc.

The lady that taught my Intro to Psychology class at a JUCO was a banker who had an B.S. in Psychology.

Some of the professors that taught education related courses at my four year university had Ed.S. degrees.

Some of my other classes were taught by GTAs.

it all just depends.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Location: Wilmington, NC
411 posts, read 874,010 times
Reputation: 288
I teach at a community college with a master's degree.

Many universities hire adjuncts (part-timers) with masters, but the full-time professors need a PhD. Teaching part-time doesn't pay near as much, as you will only get paid for the hours you are in class teaching. There is a lot of prep-work that you will not get paid for. For every hour of class you can expect to spend 1 - 2 hours preparing.

At a community college I do not earn anywhere close to the professors @ the universities (they are usually in the 6 figures or close to it). I don't make much more than a public school teacher. It was hard to get a full-time position also. I had to teach part-time for 5 long years before getting a full-time position with a real paycheck and benefit package. I'd like to get a PhD later on for more earnings potential, but it's not feasible for me right now.

Administrative positions in colleges usually don't require PhD.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Location: Chicago
2,467 posts, read 9,669,580 times
Reputation: 803
Community colleges may only require masters. They also pay only about $2500 per class (or less). Most universities require PhDs for full-time teaching positions; however, they may allow you to teach part-time with a masters. Some degree programs (such as english) MAY allow you to teach if you have published/written extensively regardless of degree, but I can't think of anything else besides English where this may be true.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Location: Minnesota..California Dreamin'
195 posts, read 828,990 times
Reputation: 66
She's right.I have a relative who teaches community college with a masters- makes a good living.I want to be a college instructer. I don't think it would be a bad thing to just have a master's degree and teach community college. But you have to have PhDfor university teaching.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, - Top