Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 PM

121 posts, read 352,977 times

Advertisements

Do Community Colleges in Florida offer AA degrees in Nursing (RN) anymore? I am having a hard time finding one that does. Keiser is the only one that seems to and they are expensive. I have my BA degree and getting my BSN is an option but it too is very expensive as well and it's very competitive getting into the program. Anyone know who has an AA RN program in Florida? and I'm on not interested in on-line nursing degrees as those are not laughed at by the Board of Nursing.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,149,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jld13072 View Post
Do Community Colleges in Florida offer AA degrees in Nursing (RN) anymore? I am having a hard time finding one that does. Keiser is the only one that seems to and they are expensive. I have my BA degree and getting my BSN is an option but it too is very expensive as well and it's very competitive getting into the program. Anyone know who has an AA RN program in Florida? and I'm on not interested in on-line nursing degrees as those are not laughed at by the Board of Nursing.

thanks
You can get an AA or an AS in nursing from Valencia Community College in Florida

Valencia College, Orlando, Florida

Old 08-04-2011, 06:40 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jld13072 View Post
Do Community Colleges in Florida offer AA degrees in Nursing (RN) anymore? I am having a hard time finding one that does. Keiser is the only one that seems to and they are expensive. I have my BA degree and getting my BSN is an option but it too is very expensive as well and it's very competitive getting into the program. Anyone know who has an AA RN program in Florida? and I'm on not interested in on-line nursing degrees as those are not laughed at by the Board of Nursing. thanks
There are quite a number that do. I recommend checking out Santa Fe College in Gainesville which has a really good track record and excellent clinical experiences at Shands/UF Medical Center.

Florida Associate Degree in Nursing Programs

Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,752,433 times
Also Northwest Florida State College:

Welcome - General Information | Nursing | NWF State College

One thing you're going to run into is that a lot of those programs are limited admissions and they'll make you jump through a whole bunch of hoops to make sure you're serious and tempermentally suited for the program.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM

23,966 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Most community colleges off the AAS in Nursing, and in the past 25 years this has quickly become the most oft chosen path for most entry level practitioners for several reasons.
Cost is low, campuses are accessible, and the amount of time at least seems short.

In actuality, the Associate degree in Nursing in most areas does not usually take only two years.
It almost never does, and here is why:

While community colleges offer open enrollment to the residents of the geographical areas that they serve, that open enrollment does not apply to all programs. It never applies to Nursing!

As a former nurse in NYS, I know many other nurses who did the Community College rout and it took between three and four years! At the end of which they only had associate degrees.

The reasons are many. For one, students at many CCs need to take pre-requisite classes, sometimes known as "pre nursing" in older to eventually be admitted into the Nursing Curriculum. This could take between one and three semesters, depending upon how popular that program is. In an extreme case, a college could take up two five calender years, and they could have you complete all of your non-nursing classes before ever setting foot in a clinical nursing course!

Typically the classes required are as followed:
2 three credit classes in English Composition
2 classes in Psychology - General or Into
Developmental or "Human Growth and Development"
Anatomy and Physiology I and II (8 credits)
Microbiology
Sociology

There may be some variations but that is the usual. That's 30 credits. And since many of the courses are sequential
, you can not take Anatomy II while taking Micro (nore would you want to)

All of the clinical courses are also sequential i.e. you must take them in order.
Classes called "Nursing I or Into to Nsng" are most often only given in the Fall, for example.

A faster way would be to select an independent school. Taking less time to graduate could well cost you less money and you will begin earning sooner.
Check out Rasmussen College. They have several campuses in FL.

Another way to enter nursing, is to first become an LPN. Many of these programs are easier to enter, and can take as little as 10 months to complete!
If you want to move up the career ladder to become an RN, you can let your employer reimburse you. Also, many BSN programs today also offer credit to LPNs so you could progress to the Bachelor's degree without obtaining the AAS.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,614,929 times
Like Sheena was saying, you have to have your cores in before you can apply to be admitted to the Nursing program at my local CC.

Here's the pdf, of your classes you must have before you can graduate here.

http://henderson.kctcs.edu/Academics...094-2_pdf.ashx

I plan on finishing mine up in 3yrs (cause I have a TON of classes I feel I should take and want to take as well, like Physics, and then transfering to another local CC to get certified in surgical. That's another semester, or two depending on how I wish to do it.

So by the time I am finally done, I will be a RN with a surgical first cert.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,314 times
Default c

Check out chamberlain college of nusing. 630-458-8165 Its an RN-BSN online program.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

12,076 posts, read 23,185,839 times
My local CC has a one to two year waiting list for its RN program. A local hospital that has a nursing school just graduated its last associates degree RN class. All future classes will be BSN, which seems to be the way things are heading for nursing programs. I think Sheena has given you some good advice. See if you can get hired in an entry level position at a medical facility and have them pay for your BSN.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 PM

23,966 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Seriously, I think you should look into four year programs, or alternatively, LPN programs.
At least you will be a nurse in a year, be able to work. You will be accepted into the second year at a community college and become an RN in a year.

If you enter the Community College as a generic student, a non-nurse, Community College will take at LEAST THREE YEARS.
Usually four. Community college is really not a bargain for a generic student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities